Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Unable To Sleep at all
RE: Unable To Sleep at all
(12-13-2015, 02:23 PM)mrkdilkington Wrote: I recently bought an Airsense 10 after using a Philips System One, and find that the A10's algorithm is much more aggressive and any time it goes above 9 or 10 cm it will wake me up (respiratory rate literally goes off the charts in sleepyhead, like above 50 bpm). This can wake me up in as little as 30 minutes after falling asleep, so I have to narrow the pressure range to a max of 9 when using it. You could possibly have a similar problem. Also raise the lower range a few points as others have said, I get the 'not enough air' feeling when under 6.5cm.
I don't know which A10 you have; but myself and several users have found on the S9 that high BPM is false. Wiggles in the flow waveform can cause triggering to/from IPAP/EPAP; and that counts as a breath. This ragged flow waveform usually occurs when there is snoring or some flow limitation.

At 50 BPM, you'd likely pass out from respiratory alkalosis.
(Blowing off too much CO2 shifting the blood pH numerically higher and causing vasoconstriction.)

Some data you have to take with a grain of salt; and ask: can that really be?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2015, 02:47 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(12-13-2015, 02:23 PM)mrkdilkington Wrote: I recently bought an Airsense 10 after using a Philips System One, and find that the A10's algorithm is much more aggressive and any time it goes above 9 or 10 cm it will wake me up (respiratory rate literally goes off the charts in sleepyhead, like above 50 bpm). This can wake me up in as little as 30 minutes after falling asleep, so I have to narrow the pressure range to a max of 9 when using it. You could possibly have a similar problem. Also raise the lower range a few points as others have said, I get the 'not enough air' feeling when under 6.5cm.
I don't know which A10 you have; but myself and several users have found on the S9 that high BPM is false. Wiggles in the flow waveform can cause triggering to/from IPAP/EPAP; and that counts as a breath. This ragged flow waveform usually occurs when there is snoring or some flow limitation.

At 50 BPM, you'd likely pass out from respiratory alkalosis.
(Blowing off too much CO2 shifting the blood pH numerically higher and causing vasoconstriction.)

Some data you have to take with a grain of salt; and ask: can that really be?

Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/EhNve Could be the flow limitations as you said. Not sure how to interpret it myself other than that I don't tolerate high pressures well (I think I have UARS as I meet all the symtpoms, which do not necessarily overlap with OSA symtpoms). EPR x3 does not help. I sleep much more soundly on the Philips which is much more apprehensive about raising pressure. [Sorry to hijack thread]
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2015, 02:37 PM)charbat Wrote: Hello everyone,
I am a newbie to CPAP use (10 days) and so far I have not been able to fall asleep while using my CPAP. I have used it while awake everyday to get used to the mask and feel ok with it. When I lie down to sleep I panic and feel like I am not getting enough air, find myself holding breaths here and there and also clenching my teeth. I am going into this with a positive attitude because I am so sleep deprived I have to do something. Any help would be appreciated.

I started CPAP therapy on Halloween. A few points:

1) The pressure you start at is low and will make you feel like you are hyperventilating/suffocating. As the pressure goes up, that feeling will subside. Remember to breath through your nose, not through your mouth. Breathing through my mouth increased the panic, but breathing through my nose made it subside.

2) My experience was that "leaving it on as long as possible" was not helpful for me. My tactic was different: don't put it on until you are at the edge of sleep. This way you are more likely to fall asleep with it on, and if you are mentally able to associate wearing a CPAP mask with sleep, the easier it will be.

Of course for my second piece of advice, sometimes I find that I fall asleep without realizing it and I miss it every now and again, and sleep without my mask. But I think that may solution made the first month all the more tolerable.

Just my $.02.
Post Reply Post Reply
About a month and a half into my therapy and I slept (almost) 8 hours with the mask on last night, no leaks. I'm someone who cannot sleep if my pillows aren't the right shape and consistency.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 825 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,874 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 450 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Unable to keep mask throughout night Overdrawn 4 242 02-10-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Overdrawn
  N20 mask: waking up unable to breathe acordeon 1 265 02-05-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.