Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Unable to clear throat while on APAP
Unable to clear throat while on APAP
I have a cold virus right now and lots of mucous. I have been having trouble with sticky mucous building up high in the back of my throat, which I can't clear.

Eventually, I wake up coughing and gagging - nearly vomiting sometimes. I am unable to clear the mucous while the machine is on. I have tried repeated swallowing, attempted throat clearing, coughing etc. - Nothing helps.

Once, I shut the machine off and/or pull the hose from the mask, one or two swallows and the problem clears quickly.

The pressure is preventing whatever friction or motion in the throat that is needed to clear the mucous. Anyone else experience this or know the remedy?

Does this mean I need more or less humidity? Or something else?

I have the Dreamstation with integrated humidifier set to 4 out of 5 (normally use 3). I get cold air and not much water (maybe 1/5 of it) is gone in the morning. Not sure if it is working correctly. (It 'function checks' OK and warms a little when I put it in preheat, so I guess that is correct).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Unable to clear throat while on APAP
Are you using a heated hose? If yes, raise the hose temp., but lower the humidity. Just my thoughts, but too much humidity doesn't help.
Other than that, try Mucinex, that will help clear that mucous.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Could be you just don't know how to do it yet. But while sick with cold, turning up the humidifier is always a good idea.

Sit up with the mask on and the machine on. Practice clearing your throat, even if there is nothing there. Cough, ahem, all that sort of stuff. There is no reason you should not be able to hack that stuff up.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'll keep trying. If I release the pressure, I can clear it right away, but that is a pain. This is my first experience with this problem, not doubt due to the cold virus. Sitting up didn't help. It is like the pressure makes that part of the throat inaccessible to clearing under pressure.

No heated hose. I just asked a question about this in another thread. I'll try to order one online. My DME usually only works through insurance and makes it hard to use cash for any additional stuff.

I have the humidity set on 4 out of 5. I don't notice any significant change in the water that is missing in the morning (only ever about 1/5 of a tank per night). I am trying to see if it is working properly, but it is hard to tell (it heats a small amount, but I can't tell if it is the right amount - and the settings don't seem to noticeably change the output). That is another issue to work out.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have no problem clearing my throat or coughing with my mask on and the machine running. My pressure is up around 19-20.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2016, 07:48 PM)NorthernGuy Wrote: No heated hose. I just asked a question about this in another thread. I'll try to order one online. My DME usually only works through insurance and makes it hard to use cash for any additional stuff.

If you're shopping on your own dime, get the best price + shipping. The Climateline does not require a prescription. Check online suppliers, Amazon, Ebay etc.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,397 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 363 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 813 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 121 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 561 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.