Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Tidal Volume, Minute Vent, Respiratory rate
Tidal Volume, Minute Vent, Respiratory rate
Please refer to the OSCAR data I have posted. 

I do not know what to make of the fact that my tidal volume and minute vent seem to have gone down considerably while my respiratory rate stayed the same. This happened after I switched machines from a Dreamstation to an Airsense 10 (the times without data were from when I was using an old S9 brick, waiting for my new machine). 

Is this significant? Better? Worse? Something I should go to my doctor about? As you can see, my doctor also raised my pressure considerably during this period after I received my new machine. 

Old machine

Minute Vent:
95%: ~12
Median: ~9

Tidal Volume:
95%: 800
Median: 600

Respiratory Rate:
95%: ~18
Median: ~16

New Machine

Minute Vent:
95%: ~5.5
Median: ~4

Tidal Volume:
95%: ~400
Median: ~240

Respiratory Rate:
95%: ~19
Median: ~16

As you can see, the values are similar for my respiratory rate but not for the tidal volume or the minute ventilation. Is this significant?

THank you for your help

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tidal Volume, Minute Vent, Respiratory rate
I should also add - this is a pretty typical night for me in regards to breathing, etc. I still get tired in the afternoon and have a big appetite. So my symptoms are not controlled completely. 

I am meeting with my doctor tomorrow and I am hoping someone can guide me though what to talk to him about. Thank you.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tidal Volume, Minute Vent, Respiratory rate
These are just 'breakdown' statistics, like mean, standard deviation, variance, mode, median, the usual simple stuff.   You should use the AHI calculation as a reasonable assessment of the utility of both your machine and its current settings.  But wait....there's more!  How you feel is also as important.  If you feel crappy, but your machine says you're doing swell with it's kindly interventions now and then throughout the night, maybe we need to think about things a bit.  If you have little confidence in your therapy, such as it is, then maybe we're going to have to tweak your settings.

You should really spend some time on the glossary provided at this site, especially the 'Wiki' where terms are 'splained really well.  But, for my dollars, the AHI each night, and whether I'm nodding off in meetings, they tell me if everything is going swimmingly.  Most people eventually learn that their confidence level and how they feel after a night's sleep are as important as the number the AHI statistic says it is.

The AHI just above, and my own daily average, are close to each other. I get about 5.5 hrs each night, and I manage to function quite well throughout the day. I do nod off a bit near 1900 during our TV hours, wife and I, but I can't help that at nearly 69 years.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 6 60 14 minutes ago
Last Post: ahuman
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 240 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 858 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.