Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Unable to get answer from Apria re: new AirSense 10 Autoset
RE: Unable to get answer from Apria re: new AirSense 10 Autoset
(12-09-2019, 08:19 PM)Plmnb Wrote: Visited Apria today and met with RT.  Seems it will be best to keep the SmartStart feature off and use the manual start/stop.

I did remember from having my first machine a million years ago that there was a clinician’s menu.  I looked up how to access it and was then able to do so.

Regards,
P

You've gone rogue! Join the club. Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2019, 08:19 PM)Plmnb Wrote: Visited Apria today and met with RT.  Seems it will be best to keep the SmartStart feature off and use the manual start/stop.

I did remember from having my first machine a million years ago that there was a clinician’s menu.  I looked up how to access it and was then able to do so.

Regards,
P

Perfectly reasonable decision if that works for you.  You now know you can change your mind in the future if you want to.

For me... I have no bed partner to worry about.  I like the idea that I can rip the mask off in desperation and fall back to sleep 2 seconds later if I need to.
No fumbling around looking for the off switch to stop the 20 minute overrun that you've been experiencing. 
I have my my machine in a slightly inconvenient hard to reach position above my head to keep the hose free when I toss around at night.
If I had to find the off switch I'd be up on my knees and fully awake... that would make it harder for me to get back to sleep. 

It's just a personal preference at the end of the day.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a similar issue, with the device not turning off after I take it off to go pee. I have it set on manual so press stop to pee and then start to get it going again. Apria told me to take it off automatic because of this problem. It’s a little better but it’s inconsistent, sometimes it turns off, and sometimes it keeps running. When it does keep running I cannot put the mask back on because the ramp up time is not working properly — air is too forceful. One night I tried leaving the mask off for 20 minutes, and then fell asleep before putting the mask back on and of course was penalized for taking the mask off too many times and also penalized for not having an hour of sleep on the data report. 
I’m going to try setting an alarm on my phone to wake me up after 20 minutes and will report here to see if that works. I should not have to do this.
Bottom line — this is a defect in the device. Resmed needs to fix it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Before I start... Please realize that you must have "Autostart" turned "ON" for the automatic 3 second shutdown to work.
If you cannot even see that option... look at my earlier post to understand why.
#28 http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid322846

Assuming that you DO have "Autostart" turned ON then read on...

I have two Autosets
One of them works perfectly... ie take the mask off and it stops after about 3 seconds.
The other one (much older) does not turn off.
Both of them START automatically, but only one of them STOPS automatically.

I think the flow/pressure detectors try to determine if you've removed the mask by detecting a MASSIVE leak.
The machine that fails to turn off... it seems to think I'm still wearing the mask and that the leak is not massive enough to trigger the ON/OFF.
However.. if I disconnect the hose completely from the mask.. then it DOES shut off.
So I guess the unworn mask is giving just enough back-pressure to fool the "faulty" machine into thinking I'm still wearing it but the bare hose does not.
So as an experiment, instead of taking the mask off (or in addition to)... try disconnecting the hose... it might work for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yikes, I forgot about this thread after I found out I could just turn off the machine any time I want to without messing anything up.  Have had no issues with doing so for quite a while.  There was that one time I thought it was off and went to work.  My husband called me at work to say the machine was still on.  (For some reason he decided to call me AFTER he went to work). Sad

I had to leave work for 1/2 an hour to rush home to check and see because I was worried the unit would burst into flames if the water in the humidifier ran out.  (Which it does fairly quickly btw).

The darn thing was on!  I swore it was possessed at this point.

It has been a while and no issues since then with manual turn on and manual turn off.

PS. Disabled the ramp too.  

I hope the new BIPAP I am getting is more cooperative.

Plmnb
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
SmartStart did not work consistently for me. When I put the mask back on after taking a brief hiatus to go to the bathroom, too often the force of the air was too great which gave me breathing difficulties. Changing the ramp up time didn’t resolve this difficulty.
 Now that the device has been switched to manual control rather than smartstart, the inconsistency persists, in other words, I still have an occasional middle-of-the-night event when the force of the air is too great for me to “reapply” the pillows. What seems to work, but not always, is to hit the stop button a second time. When I do that, the data reports that I took the mask off for more than one event, which is not true. Guess I shouldn’t care about that piece of data since it’s a mechanical error, not a human one.
Others in various discussions suggest that the device is trying to manipulate the humidity or temperature in the hose and so will take more time to shut down. But if I lay around for 20 minutes waiting for it to shut down so I can tolerate putting it back on, there is too much chance I will simply fall back to sleep and lose therapy for the rest of the night.

I truly believe this is a problem that Resmed needs to solve. Or, tutor we users on how best to overcome this middle-of-the-night air flow difficulty.
Post Reply Post Reply
Susan,
Please start a new thread, your own thread.

While asleep the body hours into a state that requires less urination at night. There lies the problem, asleep. As one with sleep apnea we don't get enough continuous sleep. Our CPAP therapy gets us there but the body needs to relearn this behavior and it takes a while.

ResMed has a brief tutorial on how to help with your therapy about managing your pressure issues. Here it is, quoted in its entirety. "See your doctor"

To best help you we need to see your data, specifically the daily charts from OSCAR. This lets us see on a breath by breath basis when necessary so please download OSCAR and post the daily charts, see my signature for how, the organization link for what to include. Thanks.

Since your complaints are mostly about pressure is like you to do an experiment.

Get a tall glass of water, and a straw.
Now place the straw all the way in, now blow bubbles. Childish, I know. Any troubles or issues?
Didn't think so. A tall glass typically will hold about 8 inches of water, that is 20 cm of water or the maximum pressure your CPAP is capable of. Try the straw 4 inches deep and same thing. That is the max pressure your machine is set at.

Point is your issue is not likely to be pressure, but rather flow. To counter flow either exhale or turn off the machine if you don't like the sensation of the blowing. The matching is blowing as hard as it can because it is not meeting it's pressure setpoint.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 19 363 2 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 108 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 837 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 167 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 813 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.