Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Unable to get answer from Apria re: new AirSense 10 Autoset
RE: Unable to get answer from Apria re: new AirSense 10 Autoset
Gotcha.  Sounds like the simplest way to go.

Ty!
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW

I have a couple of machines and am quite new to PAP
I have the Resmed 10 Autoset and have turned smart-start ON.  I also have a Resmed 10 ASV.
I use a full face mask.

Both machines work the same way for me.

When I put the mask on and give a little blow... this starts the machine.  Sometimes the machine will start if I put the mask on and even try to hold my breath.... the pressure detector is presumably very sensitive indeed.

When I take the mask off, the machine blows "full force gale" for only a second or two then shuts down. Actually it switches to a much quieter (virtually silent) mode for a while before totally shutting down to zero airflow.

From a noise perspective, a bed partner would only hear 2 seconds of "full force gale", they would not hear the (virtually silent) gentle breeze before closing down completely.

I did not test the shutdown behavior with smart-start turned off.  
I did not test the shutdown behavior with any other mask type.. only the full-face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2019, 11:29 AM)ApneaQuestions Wrote: FWIW

I have a couple of machines and am quite new to PAP
I have the Resmed 10 Autoset and have turned smart-start ON.  I also have a Resmed 10 ASV.
I use a full face mask.

Both machines work the same way for me.

When I put the mask on and give a little blow... this starts the machine.  Sometimes the machine will start if I put the mask on and even try to hold my breath.... the pressure detector is presumably very sensitive indeed.

When I take the mask off, the machine blows "full force gale" for only a second or two then shuts down. Actually it switches to a much quieter (virtually silent) mode for a while before totally shutting down to zero airflow.

From a noise perspective, a bed partner would only hear 2 seconds of "full force gale", they would not hear the (virtually silent) gentle breeze before closing down completely.

I did not test the shutdown behavior with smart-start turned off.  
I did not test the shutdown behavior with any other mask type.. only the full-face mask.

If I don't reach over and manually turn the machine off before I get out of bed, it's that full-force gale air that wakes my wife. 

She's not real fond of being woken up in the middle of the night.............. Nonosign
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2019, 12:13 PM)Big Guy Wrote: If I don't reach over and manually turn the machine off before I get out of bed, it's that full-force gale air that wakes my wife......
I'm single and my cats don't seem to care ;-)

It sounds like the OP is getting 20 minutes of "full force gale"
I effectively have the same set-up (machine and full-face mask)
I only get 2 seconds of "full force gale"

My best guess is that the OP might want to make sure that auto-start is ON to get only 2 seconds (or use the manual turn-off option for zero seconds and total silence)
I didn't do the experiment to test if auto-start set to OFF would make my machine operate like the OP's... I don't want to mess up my statistics with a false-sleep test... 20 minutes of loud noise is not right.

It's up to the OP to decide if 2 seconds of noise is too much or not. 20 minutes is not what I get.
Post Reply Post Reply
To turn it off I hit the stop button twice. Later in the day, I take the terminal tube off, grab the end of the tube by the head strap, and rapidly twirl the tube to remove any residual droplets. (I had tried taking off the nose pillows and hanging the terminal tube under/near a light bulb -- didn't work as well as the twirling action.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2019, 12:28 PM)ApneaQuestions Wrote:
(12-08-2019, 12:13 PM)Big Guy Wrote: If I don't reach over and manually turn the machine off before I get out of bed, it's that full-force gale air that wakes my wife......
I'm single and my cats don't seem to care ;-)

It sounds like the OP is getting 20 minutes of "full force gale"
I effectively have the same set-up (machine and full-face mask)
I only get 2 seconds of "full force gale"

My best is guess is that the OP might want to make sure that auto-start is ON to get only 2 seconds (or use the manual option for zero seconds and total silence)
I didn't do the experiment to test if auto-start set to OFF would make my machine operate like the OP's... I don't want to mess up my statistics with a false-sleep test.

Early on in my therapy, I discovered that I needed to turn my machine off manually. A couple of times with the air blowing full force on my face while disconnecting the hose from my mask, made for a bad, but memorable experience.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
I would think possibly Apria didn't actually activate/turn on Smart Start for you like they told you they did. Apria has been known to not do what they say sometimes with me. The Apria RT that set up my ASV even told me she had no clue how to set my pressures. But I did know how to get it done.

In light of that, I'd suggest you get a copy of your machine's manual from the Apnea Board menu. Look for your exact machine by full name. You can access the clinician menu and set this yourself. I wholeheartedly believe we have to be proactive and a self advocate. The DME like Apria will fail you at some point and you'll need to know how to just take care of it yourself.

Welcome to the Apnea Board.

Coffee to your success
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2019, 12:42 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I would think possibly Apria didn't actually activate/turn on Smart Start for you like they told you they did. ...

Thankfully the Smart-Start option is configurable to be a user-option (not a clinician-only option)
However, Apria may have configure your machine to prevent you from seeing the smart-start option in the first place.

Does the OP see that option?  If so.. you can play with it.

If not.. you will first need to access the Clinician's menu to set the "Essentials" option to "Plus"
Once you change that option to "Plus".. then (and only then) will you see "Smart Start" as a user-option
Maybe Apria disable these options because they are worried they will get too many calls asking what the heck they do. It's easier for them to hide them.

Entering the clinicians menu is easy to do but it's probably not good form for me to explain here how to do that.
If you start changing the wrong options before you know what you are doing it can mess up your therapy.

Having said that... using the clinician's menu to change "Essentials" to the "Plus" option is innocent and simply gives you more control over these convenience options without impacting the underlying therapy.

To understand how to access the hidden clinician's menu... as mentioned in this thread...get hold of the clinician's manual for your machine and it will tell you how.

(Boy I hope this reply makes sense to the OP.... you probably didn't even know that there was a hidden clinician's menu to do these things)
Post Reply Post Reply
This is just a correction from my last post. SmartStart does work with pillow masks, the P30i anyway. Since you can still turn it off with the button I’m leaving it on this time. I tried it 3 times  and 1 or 2 breaths is all it takes. Definitely still going to need to use the button to shut it off though or I’m gonna get an earful! That’s never pleasant as soon as you open your eyes  Oh-jeez
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
Visited Apria today and met with RT.  Seems it will be best to keep the SmartStart feature off and use the manual start/stop.

I did remember from having my first machine a million years ago that there was a clinician’s menu.  I looked up how to access it and was then able to do so.

Regards,
P
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 0 29 3 hours ago
Last Post: Rickyricardo
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,428 4 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 198 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 5,409 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 996 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 207 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 998 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.