Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Unable to use CPAP
RE: Unable to use CPAP
(04-05-2013, 12:58 AM)zonk Wrote:
(04-04-2013, 04:58 AM)Dusty Wrote: I know it doesn't seem that way, but I'd try almost anything at this point. (Anything that doesn't involve hooking me up to equipment.)
I've read many stories from people who were adamant not to use their CPAP and throw machines in closet or sold it. Only to come back at some years later at worse condition than before and more keen to use CPAP this time around and when they do, their lives and the lives of people dependent on them improves too.

People who do not have phobias never understand those who do. I can use my machine, but I panic if there is something directly in front of my eyes. I also panic at small enclosed spaces - if something needs to be done in the crawl space under my house I have to hire someone. No way could I go down there.

I also can't take extreme heights. There is a bridge that is two miles long over the Columbia river and it reaches 250 feet in height for a long distance over empty space. I cannot drive over it. I have to get someone else to drive the car over that bridge. And even then I curl up with my eyes closed and whimper every inch of the way. Believe it or not there is a service at each end of the bridge where you can hire someone to drive you over the bridge. I am not the only one who can't handle it.

If you don't have panic attacks I am very happy for you. But please y'all out there, panics cannot be gotten over just by trying harder or by increasing motivation. I want to encourage Dusty to keep trying, but I commiserate and understand if it can't be.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2013, 02:15 AM)JJJ Wrote: I also can't take extreme heights.
Me too, don,t like heights ... prefer to be on solid ground level

The fact of the matter from my prospective, Apnea Board is public forum encompass many views from all sort of participants, some we agree with and some we don,t but if we only want hear from people who agree with our views than we should include a warning something like "please don,t reply to this post if you don,t agree with the expressed view" Dont-know

Anyway getting close to my bed time, just watching "American Idol"
Going fill the tank and put my S9 on warm-up mode and see where going take me Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2013, 02:15 AM)JJJ Wrote: If you don't have panic attacks I am very happy for you. But please y'all out there, panics cannot be gotten over just by trying harder or by increasing motivation.

Not in all cases, but with professional help the symptoms can definitely be at least eased if not removed altogether. It takes courage and hard work to take the first step, but if you don't try you'll never find out if it'll work for you.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I must agree with Sleepster having had to face down fear, panic and phobia first hand.
No, it's not easy. It can be the hardest thing you ever did but only dogged persistance works.
You will not fail until you stop trying.

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2013, 02:15 AM)JJJ Wrote: People who do not have phobias never understand those who do. I can use my machine.

I may not "really" understand, but I do understand.

I understand that some diabetics have a needle phobia. They're still going to lose limbs and die if they don't get effective treatment of some kind. Some people can't give up the cigarettes or the overeating, and are going to suffer the consequences and die early.

I realize some people won't be able to use CPAP because of claustrophobia or other psychological problems. I'll make some suggestions that might help. I have suggested some alternatives that have a small chance of helping. In the end, illness and premature death is the likely outcome if they can't overcome their problems and use CPAP.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2013, 03:15 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: Hi Dusty

Welcome

I know this sounds strange, but you might want to take some didgeridoo lessons. No joke; consistent didgeridoo playing has been shown to help.

Just google "didgeridoo and obstructive apnea".

It only helps if you learn how to play it properly (circular breathing), which is tricky to learn - most need formal lessons. You may be able to find lessons near you.

Best of luck!

I do circular breathing when I play the bagpipes' practice chanter. Guess I need to break that out and put some Scottish ditties back in my life! (Be happy to trade this very uncomfortable mask for that--well, uncomfortable for my first night, anyway; but I'll give it a little more time.)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 813 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,857 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 447 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Unable to keep mask throughout night Overdrawn 4 240 02-10-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Overdrawn
  N20 mask: waking up unable to breathe acordeon 1 264 02-05-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Sad Unable to get my BiPap treatment even started properly FrustratedSleeper 6 473 11-18-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Unable to Fall Asleep with CPAP johnnva 1 446 07-24-2023, 11:53 PM
Last Post: Melman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.