Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Unaware of tearing off fask mask in the middle of my slep
Unaware of tearing off fask mask in the middle of my slep
Thoughts? Tips suggestions? This Event usually occurs around 3 and then again around 5 am. I'm not awake while doing this so I don't remember what exactly is going on.

I've tried tightening the straps, but instead I'll just disconnect the hose....

Is there any sort of locking strap that can go with my mask? I really like my A10 mask, but if I have to change I think I'm willing to do it.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Unaware of tearing off fask mask in the middle of my slep
(11-05-2016, 08:23 AM)Ibiban Wrote: Thoughts? Tips suggestions? This Event usually occurs around 3 and then again around 5 am. I'm not awake while doing this so I don't remember what exactly is going on.
We are not necessarily responsible for what we do in our sleep, so it's a bad idea to try to troubleshoot this in the middle of the night when you wake up and realize you took the mask off. Just put the mask back on and go back to sleep and leave the trouble shooting for the next day.

You say:
Quote:I've tried tightening the straps, but instead I'll just disconnect the hose....
Here are some things you can try:

1) Lightly tape the mask to your face an unloosen the straps to where they are comfortable. If you start pulling the mask off your nose, that might wake you up just enough to not do that.

2) Do you have SmartStart turned ON? If so, turn SmartStart OFF. Yes, you will have to manually turn the machine on. But when you take the mask off in your sleep, the machine won't turn itself off. And the sound and feel of the air blowing all around may be enough to wake you up so that you can put the mask back on your face.

3) You could try wrapping a rubber band around the ends of both the hose and the elbow connector on your FFM. That might make it a bit more difficult to disconnect the mask from the hose.

Finally for most people this problem does get better with time---as long as they always put the mask back on when they wake up without it on AND never consciously go to sleep without the mask.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't make us have to use the cone of shame. Dielaughing

[Image: cone+of+shame.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2016, 01:51 PM)robysue Wrote:
(11-05-2016, 08:23 AM)Ibiban Wrote: Thoughts? Tips suggestions? This Event usually occurs around 3 and then again around 5 am. I'm not awake while doing this so I don't remember what exactly is going on.
We are not necessarily responsible for what we do in our sleep, so it's a bad idea to try to troubleshoot this in the middle of the night when you wake up and realize you took the mask off. Just put the mask back on and go back to sleep and leave the trouble shooting for the next day.

You say:
Quote:I've tried tightening the straps, but instead I'll just disconnect the hose....
Here are some things you can try:

1) Lightly tape the mask to your face an unloosen the straps to where they are comfortable. If you start pulling the mask off your nose, that might wake you up just enough to not do that.

2) Do you have SmartStart turned ON? If so, turn SmartStart OFF. Yes, you will have to manually turn the machine on. But when you take the mask off in your sleep, the machine won't turn itself off. And the sound and feel of the air blowing all around may be enough to wake you up so that you can put the mask back on your face.

3) You could try wrapping a rubber band around the ends of both the hose and the elbow connector on your FFM. That might make it a bit more difficult to disconnect the mask from the hose.

Finally for most people this problem does get better with time---as long as they always put the mask back on when they wake up without it on AND never consciously go to sleep without the mask.

Thanks for the advice- I'm going to try the rubber band thing and turing the smart start OFF. Even if that doesn't wake me up surely my wife will notice it .... Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok cast your mind back 20 years to a time when nasal masks were huge and felt like you had something on your face all night.

I regularly did exactly what you're doing, rip off the mask and go back to sleep only to awaken in the morning maskless. The cpaps back then were "Sullivan V" machines with a fixed pressure and just an on/off button, no screen, no himidifier, no reports, nuthin'. And it was pretty noisy.

So I had no idea how long I slept with a mask and without. But I just kept at it and after 6 BLOODY MONTHS I finally woke up with the mask still on.

So hang (or sleep) in there

Machine was this one
[Image: $_20.JPG]
Mask was like this but uglier and LOUD
[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Ohmy [Health] UARS diagnosed twice, using a CPAP, and still waking in the middle of the night. logart89 24 1,803 05-28-2023, 08:53 PM
Last Post: logart89
  Ripping my mask off in the middle of the night MrShredX 2 591 04-24-2023, 04:21 PM
Last Post: MrShredX
  What's waking me up in the middle of the night...and are my pressure settings ok? danielsomers 13 1,429 04-21-2023, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Constantly waking up in the middle of the night totesOates 1 565 01-08-2023, 09:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,208 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  DreamStation 2 hose tearing easily K2write 6 843 08-15-2022, 03:20 PM
Last Post: damplc

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.