Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 17.8/12.4
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Unclassified apneas
Don't mean to flail a dead horse, but I have considerable sinus drainage at night, and when I snort it back into my throat, perhaps that could account for the UA's and Hypops that appear on SH.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2015 09:22 AM by nativedancer.)
07-09-2015 09:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
eseedhouse Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: SimPlus
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 7-10
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Also on supplemental O2 at 3L/min. while sleeping.

(07-09-2015 09:20 AM)nativedancer Wrote:  Don't mean to flail a dead horse, but I have considerable sinus drainage at night, and when I snort it back into my throat, perhaps that could account for the UA's and Hypops that appear on SH.

Probably not unless your snort lasts for at least 10 seconds. Might be interpreted as a snore or a flow limitation in which case if you have an auto machine the pressure might go up. But it's not part of your AHI unless it lasts at least 10 seconds.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

I am neither a Doctor, nor any other kind of medical professional.

Actually you know, it is what it isn't.
07-09-2015 01:41 PM
nativedancer Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Vpap ST

Other Comments:

That's the problem: these apneas are neither CA nor OA, so what are they? Can we even define them as AHI?
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2015 02:36 PM by nativedancer.)
07-09-2015 02:34 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
MobileBasset Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AIRCURVE 10 V Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher Paykel Zest
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: 10 (minE 6,maxI 12, PS 3)
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

It seems as though your interest is high with respect to these UA events. Have you thought of looking at your data using ResScan in order to verify the ResMed display interpretation of them?

The Sleepyhead data seems to not show a correspondence with the definition of UA in the ResMed data management guide link posted in an earlier message. By that I mean the ResMed definition says a UA is registered during a large leak when the machine's ability to differentiate between a central and obstructive apnea is degraded, yet the Sleepyhead data does not show enough large leaks to account for your 42 UA.

How do you feel with all this going on? Your oxygen is very good, your CAs (and OAs) are zero on this night so it seems you are getting therapy. Do you think the events are disturbing your sleep, or is your interest purely academic?

if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
07-09-2015 04:02 PM
nativedancer Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

Fairly academic, I guess. I just wonder what's going on. I do get plenty of rest, and don't have to get up much during the night, and most days I feel pretty good. And the Dr doesn't seem concerned. SH is sometimes an embarrassment of riches, eh?
07-09-2015 06:40 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
nativedancer Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

I'm going to close the book on this unless and until I can discover a more useful method or pathway to examine the problem. Thanks, y'all. Maybe someday...
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2015 08:07 AM by nativedancer.)
07-11-2015 07:57 AM
PaytonA Online
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

You might try asking Resmed if your VPAP st reports only UAs and if so, why.
07-11-2015 11:43 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
TyroneShoes Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
(07-09-2015 02:34 PM)nativedancer Wrote:  That's the problem: these apneas are neither CA nor OA, so what are they? Can we even define them as AHI?

Well, no, I don't think we can. The classic definition of AHI is a summary index of the OA index, the CA index, and the hypop index. Some of the machines that are a bit beyond classic xPAP might want to include undefined or minor events in AHI, but I think that just muddies the waters, because then we have varying definitions, which is never good. Blurred lines.

RDI gets a pass, because RDI is essentially AHI plus an arousal index. That is helpful, more sophisticated than simple AHI, and not really much more difficult to understand. And it has a different name, as it should.

But we can't ignore these events either. I say take AHI for what it is worth (which isn't really all that much other than a general indicator), and if we want to take things up a level and deal with the more complicated combined apnea, or undefined apnea, or apneas shorter than 10 seconds (lots of those would still give me concerns even though AHI doesn't include them), then find a different way to measure and track that which has a different name so as to not be confused with what we consider AHI to be.

Its kind of like apneas are like states; official, with their own recognizable boundaries and laws, and all of these events in the nether region are still like unformed nascent territories, or provinces, where the understanding and the boundaries and rules aren't fully baked or even commonly understood yet.

After all, it is never black and white. An OA event is often not completely only OA, a CA event is often not completely just CA, and sometimes both things can happen at the same time. A combined event. But an xPAP can't really be that smart when reporting just AHI, because AHI sees these events as distinct, black and white events. The PSG study also has trouble determining just what category each event falls into, as well. It is what it is.

What is important is the question about whether an undefined event or an event that is too short to be flagged an apnea is medically problematic or not. That is the question I would like to see answered.
07-11-2015 08:28 PM
PaytonA Online
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

(07-11-2015 08:28 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote:  
(07-09-2015 02:34 PM)nativedancer Wrote:  That's the problem: these apneas are neither CA nor OA, so what are they? Can we even define them as AHI?

Well, no, I don't think we can. The classic definition of AHI is a summary index of the OA index, the CA index, and the hypop index. Some of the machines that are a bit beyond classic xPAP might want to include undefined or minor events in AHI, but I think that just muddies the waters, because then we have varying definitions, which is never good. Blurred lines.

I must respectfully disagree. The "classic" definition of AHI is the number of apneas and hypopneas divided by the amount of time slept. It does not depend on being able to determine which type of apnea it is. As such, it seems to me, that the unclassified apneas *do* belong in the AHI and should be considered the same level of importance as any other apnea. It is just that we are left adrift considering how they should be treated.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
07-11-2015 09:25 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10

Other Comments:

I agree with Payton on this. The AHI is the index of all apneas and hypopneas. Otherwise the AHI reading would be artificially low when the machine has problems identifying which is which. These are most definitely apneas, and of reasonably long duration. I've attached a blow up of part of Native Dancer's initial screen shot. There is no airflow for nearly a minute - that is an apnea, regardless of how it is classified.

I go back to what I said in post #14 - it's likely that your machine does not attempt to classsify apneas. Some VPAPs (certainly the Adapt and quite possibly yours as well) don't have the FOT facility used to classify apneas. The backup rate kicks in to prevent central apneas, so by elimination any which still occur must be obstructive. I am pretty confident what you are seeing here are obstructive apneas and hypopneas. The only way to treat these is to raise the pressure.

If you raise your EPAP a couple of points, I think you will see a reduction in these apneas.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-11-2015 11:05 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Pressure] Hypoxic- No Apneas- Pressure Too High? beardog 13 640 11-08-2016 06:19 PM
Last Post: PsychoMike
  Clear/Central Apneas, BiPAP, CO2 washout confusion. NorthernGuy 3 490 09-02-2016 09:29 AM
Last Post: PaytonA
  [Treatment] Auto CPAP, high/erratic AHI, high Clear Apneas - it's not working jmortensenjr 10 774 08-30-2016 09:07 PM
Last Post: jmortensenjr
  Central Apneas & ASV Users jerrydaw 11 1,145 08-21-2016 04:15 PM
Last Post: ruach
  Central Apneas nadprok 5 658 07-22-2016 12:29 PM
Last Post: nadprok
Gross New Member - High Central Apneas TiredChem 2 490 07-19-2016 06:25 AM
Last Post: richb
  Can CPAP therapy cause Total Clear Airway Apneas TheLionSleeps 3 605 07-17-2016 08:39 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime