Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Understandin sleep study results
Understandin sleep study results
Hello All,

I'm new here and recently diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. Main reason I had the study was that although I snore on and off, I was just exhausted daily with sudden bouts of complete exhaustion.

So I finally got the results of my home sleep study and would love to see what some with more experience think, I never had much more of a conversation with the doctor other than her telling me "you have sleep apnea and these are your options", no explanation, nothing. I now have the Resmed S9 Autoset. 5 days and I haven't really adjusted to having the hose and I wake up a lot because of the mask. I just found out I have a sinus infection and my ENT suggested I do not use the Cpap for a few days until resolved. I am going to take these results to the ENT as well, but any input thoughts from you would be appreciated. I attached the report as well.

Flow evaluation period: 5 h 33 min / spo2 evaluation period 6h 48m (graph on top show AHI result (6) which puts me at beginning of range of suspected pathological breathng disorder

Indicies:
AHI - 6
RI: - 9
Apnea Index - 1
UAI - 0
OAI - 1
CAI - 0
MAI - 0

Hypopnea index - 5
% flow lim . br. without sn (fl) - 32
% flow lim . br. with sn (fl) - 1

ODI Oxygen desaturation index - 8
Average saturation - 94
Lowest desaturation - 81
lowest saturation - 81
Baseline saturation - 95

min pulse 46
Max pulse - 95
Average pulse - 60

Results:
Average breaths per minute - 15
Breaths - 5005
Apneas - 5
obstructive apneas 4 (80%)
Central apneas - 1 (20%)

Hypopneas - 30

No. of desaturations - 53
Saturation < 90% - 11 min (3 %)
saturation < 89% - 4 min (1%)
Saturation < 88% - 1 min (0%)

Proportion of probable CS epochs - 0 0%

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Understandin sleep study results
First, while not flawless, many would kill for that report. The big question as to whether or not to sleep without the CPAP - depends on you, and how severe your apnea is when untreated. I would go to a Full Face Mask (FFM) instead myself, and turn up the humidity more as it would help me get better faster.

But, mine was in the your heart is slowly getting ready to explode point when I was found to have OSA - my resting heartrate was 122, has taken many years, but I am back to the low 70s...

Anyhow, you've got a great machine, and setup. Finding a mask that will work for you and that you like, and doesn't create big leaks is key (didn't see your leak rate?) - FYI? Nasal pillows and an open mouth at night *could* cause the infection - all the air suddenly going up your nose and out your mouth - not sayin for sure, but just a thought.

If no one went and said OMG!!! You must get this ASAP - you're most likely safe and fine going off treatment for the infection - for perspective? After nose surgery, I was on my CPAP before leaving the hospital.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
If the ENT suggested laying of the mask and you don't feel the NEED for the mask (for a few days) then I would lay off.

I am missing something in your scores anyway with a AHI 6 (which isn't fantastic but is below the usual cut off point for HAVING OSA.)

There is no magic number so getting treatment for a 6 may well be worth you effort.

Also note that your 02 saturation number are TERRIBLE. They could be better.

Can you even breathe through your nose right now?
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Thank you both for your replies, they are really helpful to someone so new to this.

Herbm, my right nostril Is always clogging but since I took the steroid from ENT totally clear. The thing that bothers me as well is that my spot checks on O2 show me routinely at 98%. I'm thinking about trying an oral appliance first to see if it helps my tiredness. I've had everything else tested and I'm fine. I'm also thinking of buying a contec cms50d+ to try my own overnight levels.

Peterc,
I do think that I was mouth breathing a bit and did get some laryngitis after 3days use. I agree that sinus could have been aggravated by this.

All in all a bit of a frustrating start, but I really. . Want to get my daily energy back. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Daso,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi and Thanks. I just came back from my ENT (for sinus infection) and after looking at my results really felt that I should really try an oral device first. The one standout thing which concerns me is how low my lowest O2 level recorded was. I can't wait to get my Pulse Oximeter to do my own test. Thanks for the responses.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-29-2014, 08:32 AM)herbm Wrote: I am missing something in your scores anyway with a AHI 6 (which isn't fantastic but is below the usual cut off point for HAVING OSA.)
Also note that your 02 saturation number are TERRIBLE.

In the USA many insurance companies follow federal Medicare guidelines, which say AHI of less than 5 is normal, AHI between 5 to below 15 is mild OSA and treatment is covered. But I think some insurance companies provide no coverage for OSA unless AHI is 10 or 15.

The O2 saturation numbers posted by Daso have short dips that are definitely low but are far from terrible.

Mild hypoxia (SpO2 = 80% or higher) usually "does not affect the functioning of the brain or the senses."

http://www.anesthesiaweb.org/hypoxia.php

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello All, As a follow up, I decided to purchase a contec cms50d+ and do my own overnight look. A major difference between my home sleep study result and my own was SPO2 levels. My lowest last night was 88% which lasted about a minute going down from 94%. I've attached a screenshot of my report (I messed up the date, so it shows 1999). Other than 1 other short event from 94%-90% for 1 minute, my night pretty much hovered between 96%-94%. I did have a fair amount of "events", but does this look like someone with even mild sleep apnea? Can the events still cause me to not get good rest? or is SPO2 not necessary as an indicator for sleep apnea, can you still have sleep apnea regardless of you O2 levels. I've just (hopefully not stupidly) had a glidewell silent night mouthpiece molded at dentist to try instead of Resmed S9. Grateful for any advice. Daso PS I'm trying to put up my sleepyhead SPO2 report up, but I keep exceeding the 200K attachment
Post Reply Post Reply
    Sleepyhead SPO2 report
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 119 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 145 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.