Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Understanding APAP Pressure Ranges
Understanding APAP Pressure Ranges
I understand that even though a PAP machine is using auto mode, there still needs to be a set range of pressure...min and max. The machine will react to flow limitations and increase pressure as needed. I realize that a wide-open range of 4cm-20cm is generally not the most effective setting. 

Increasing the min pressure is the most effective way to clear obstructive apneas, but not necessarily centrals. What part does the max pressure setting play in auto mode? The minimum pressure is what treats the events, right? Generally, isn't the 20cm setting for max pressure OK? What indicators would show the max pressure needed to be lowered, or that the range should be tighter?

Also, am I correct in thinking that the minimum pressure should be as high as necessary to treat the apneas, but not so high as to be uncomfortable. I see so many new patients under the impression that it's OK to leave the default, wide-open setting at 4-20 because the machine is automatic and will adjust on its own. My understanding is that if the machine determines a need for say 9cm pressure to stop an event, then the drastic sudden increase from 4-9 could be unsettling and lead a new patient to feel the pressure is too high. 

Help me sort this out a little better.  Huh
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Understanding APAP Pressure Ranges
In the ResMed pressure is increased when flow limits go up (FL are smaller apnea) to stop them from becoming H and OA events. The pressures continue to rise as long as there are flow limits.  We set the max below 20 to stop runaway pressures. If your OA is controlled at say 15 you don’t need max more than 16. If not it can go up to 20 causing sleep disturbances and added mask leakage.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2021, 11:17 AM)staceyburke Wrote:  If your OA is controlled at say 15 you don’t need max more than 16. If not it can go up to 20 causing sleep disturbances and added mask leakage.

Ahhh, OK. 
So the max pressure ideally should be just slightly higher than what's needed to treat the events.  Thanks
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
My Max is 25 but I never go anywhere near there. In my case, and from I've seen in your case so far, you can set max to the machine max. Should you sho the runaways mentioned above then move it down.

EPAP (min pressure) manages OA events and if not enough EPR/PS also hypopnea, RERAs, UARS, and Flow Limits
EPR/PS manages hypopnea, RERAs, UARS, and Flow Limits

This machine cannot treat centrals! For centrals we avoid them as much as possible. We decrease flushing of CO2 by lowering EPR/PS then by lowering Pressure variation (minimizing range) then by lowering pressure (Min and Max) . Note that these actions are the polar opposite of the above so managing centrals becomes a balancing act between obstructive and central events.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a good point that G. makes. If you get through an initial 'body gets used to APAP' period of say 30 days, and at that point still have very high (I'll arbitrarily say 10/hr) or even increasing CA counts, then you likely have to play a balancing game until you can get physician to validate need for a machine that will treat both central and obstructive apnea.

Good luck as you chart your course.

QAL
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 90 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 374 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,578 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 577 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 440 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,427 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,152 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.