Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Understanding Settings?
Understanding Settings?
I'm using a ResMed 7 Lightweight and need some help understanding a couple of settings in the Clinical Menu.
The first is the CPAP setting and the Pressure Gain. They are both the same. Is this the maximum pressure setting?
And is the Start CPAP setting the starting point if I use the Ramp Up feature? Mine is currently on 4.2.

Thanks for any help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Understanding Settings?
Question:

Why are you using a Resmed S7???? Have you been PAPing for several years?

If not, how did you wind up with an S7? A Resmed S7 has to be at least 7 or 8 years old, and maybe pushing 10 years old: The S7 was replaced by the S8 series sometime around 7 or 8 years ago and the S8 series was replaced by the S9 series 4 years ago. So this machine is badly out of date and obsolete at this point.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Old Guy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2014, 07:34 PM)Old Guy Wrote: I'm using a ResMed 7 Lightweight and need some help understanding a couple of settings in the Clinical Menu.
Welcome aboard, Old Guy
ResMed S7 Lightweight CPAP Machine - Clinician Setup Instructions
http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s7-cpap...a-patients

Also the clinical manual available via Email, section three - ResMed Manuals
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2014, 08:28 PM)zonk Wrote:
(05-26-2014, 07:34 PM)Old Guy Wrote: I'm using a ResMed 7 Lightweight and need some help understanding a couple of settings in the Clinical Menu.
Welcome aboard, Old Guy

Thanks for the links but I've alrady read those. What I'm trying to understand is what do the settings mean/what do they do:
CPAP
Pressure Gain
Start CPAP

(05-26-2014, 07:51 PM)robysue Wrote: Question:

Why are you using a Resmed S7???? Have you been PAPing for several years?

If not, how did you wind up with an S7? A Resmed S7 has to be at least 7 or 8 years old, and maybe pushing 10 years old: The S7 was replaced by the S8 series sometime around 7 or 8 years ago and the S8 series was replaced by the S9 series 4 years ago. So this machine is badly out of date and obsolete at this point.

And this has what to do with my question??
Post Reply Post Reply
See 'vsheline' post # 8
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...P-settings
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2014, 07:34 PM)Old Guy Wrote: The first is the CPAP setting and the Pressure Gain. They are both the same. Is this the maximum pressure setting?

Probably.

Quote:And is the Start CPAP setting the starting point if I use the Ramp Up feature? Mine is currently on 4.2.

Probably.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2014, 08:38 PM)Old Guy Wrote: And this has what to do with my question??

You asked a question, and the response you got was another question. They're related in a way that we can't figure out, which is why she asked.

We're just trying to be helpful. Sometimes we don't get our questions answered until we reciprocate.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2014, 08:38 PM)Old Guy Wrote:
(05-26-2014, 08:28 PM)zonk Wrote:
Welcome aboard, Old Guy

Thanks for the links but I've alrady read those. What I'm trying to understand is what do the settings mean/what do they do:
CPAP
Pressure Gain
Start CPAP

Hi Old Guy, welcome to the forum!

If you request by email the closest available Clinician Setup Manual (which I suppose would be the one for ResMed S7 Elite) and find anything in it (especially about the mysterious "Pressure Gain") please let us know what you find.

I would guess "CPAP" should be set to the desired therapy pressure.

I would guess "Start CPAP" is the start pressure for the Ramp feature, if the machine has one. The Ramp feature would start at the Start CPAP pressure and gradually ramp up to the full therapeutic CPAP pressure, and then the machine would stay at the CPAP pressure for the rest of the night or session.

If the "Pressure Gain" can be given positive and negative values, then I would guess its nominal value would be zero, and zero would be best value to use unless you find better info in the setup manual.

If the Pressure Gain can be given only positive values, then I would guess it may have something to do with compensating for pressure lost in the hose, and a manometer may be needed to measure the pressure at the end of the hose which would be plugged into the mask. Supplier #2 sells very basic manometer for $35. (A link to the Supplier List is at top of all forum pages.) Also, there have been threads on Apnea Board on how we can construct our own manometer, and perhaps you could search on that, (Forum search function box is at top of all forum pages.)

By the way, when the CPAP pressure is 10 cm H2O, this would be a pressure of about one seventh of 1 pound per square inch, way too small to measure except using a manometer. It takes about 70 cm H2O to equal 1 psi.

Good luck in your search for information.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses! I've got a better idea now of what those settings are. Thanks for the help! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 149 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Understanding OSCAR data BaldZoomer 3 203 04-01-2024, 02:22 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,909 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  Help understanding OSCAR Data - Feeling Tired all day (not sleepy) elsanti1976 9 589 01-21-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: elsanti1976
  [Treatment] Understanding rise in AHI PedroT 17 862 12-30-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: PedroT
  Help Understanding CA hollercollett 2 377 12-26-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: hollercollett
  Understanding Sleep Study Centennial2 17 884 12-22-2023, 10:02 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.