Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Understanding doctor ordered oximetry report
Understanding doctor ordered oximetry report
OSA runs in my family; my son, mother, and brother all have sleep apnea. I suspected that I might have sleep apnea because of my snoring so I talked my doctor into ordering overnight oximetry. I don't have many of the symptoms commonly seen with OSA so my guess was that if I do have OSA i would likely fall into the mild or moderate category. I was shocked when I got the oximetry report back, it was much worse than I had expected. 
Which brings me to my questions.
Some of the O2 desats are much larger drops than I have seen on my family members oximetry reports. Are the desat events where my O2 dropped by 15% or more real, or are they likely artifact? Does it look like there is much artifact in the graphs?

Attached Files
.pdf   filename-1[1083].pdf (Size: 621.79 KB / Downloads: 135)
.pdf   filename-1[1084].pdf (Size: 619.07 KB / Downloads: 86)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Understanding doctor ordered oximetry report
Was that with or without CPAP?

I consider that serious DeSats, and it looks like you had several longer than 3 minutes (Not shown, just impression from the whole night chart.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2019, 10:20 AM)bonjour Wrote: Was that with or without CPAP?

I consider that serious DeSats, and it looks like you had several longer than 3 minutes (Not shown, just impression from the whole night chart.)

It was without CPAP. I normally visit this forum to ask questions about my son, the equipment listed in my profile is my son's. I have never had a sleep study and don't have a sleep apnea diagnosis. The overnight oximetry got me a referral to sleep medicine, so hopefully they'll order a sleep study for me soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm certain a full PSG sleep study is in your near future. By itself, that oximetry would justify supplemental oxygen. The sleep study is mostly to identify if it is related to sleep apnea or other respiratory problem. Given the seriousness of this level of desaturation, I hope your study is expedited.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your asymptomatic thats great news, it means if you start therapy early you'll benefit even more. On a side note, if you go to a doctor I'd recommend you skip mentioning to him that you don't have any or most of the symptoms. Fill all your questionnaires as 'severe' as possible and answer all sleep quality questions as 'very bad'. Right now getting a full sleep study is your primary concern.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,720 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,562 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  Am I crazy for complaining to this DME seller about the reservoir I ordered? sweetbobby 14 452 03-08-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: sweetbobby
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Abnormal report - me or machine Anthony2L 1 171 02-29-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] Transitional CSA - oximetry freaking me out. How low is too low? Apprenticepragmatist 8 732 02-27-2024, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.