Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The results of my sleep study are in. And the verdict is...
RE: The results of my sleep study are in. And the verdict is...
(09-25-2018, 11:29 AM)Broomstick Wrote: Not sure I understand. Are you saying that you think my difficulty breathing while awake is unrelated to apnea? 

The way I feel while I struggle to breathe laying on my back awake, is EXACTLY what I feel in my dreams just before waking up and, often, continue to feel once awakened.

I was concerned that my problem wasn't related to sleep apnea because I can experience it regardless of sleep. The doctor didn't agree and mentioned gravity. 

I assume the weight of my own body crushes my airway a little. I'm not a heavy person though. 

I don't feel like my breathing is ever stopping but that the airway is becoming narrow when laying down.

Again, I automatically hold my breath while on my back because that becomes the most efficient way to breathe. It's too strenuous to breathe normally so my diaphragm takes a breath then rests up while regaining the energy to take another deep breath.

I think it could be apnea. I feel a lot of discomfort trying to fall asleep. My problem is obstructive sleep apnea.  The problem you describe could also be more serious problems.  Once you have tried CPAP therapy, let's talk  about it and see what your thoughts are. I feel respiratory obstruction before falling asleep, and it can prevent me from comfortably falling asleep.  My experience is to be very drowsy, and to fall into light sleep from which I immediately arouse due to apnea. I feel like a persistent post-nasal drip and obstruction is in effect anytime I try to sleep or nap with out CPAP.  It can range from a difficulty to initiating inhale, to a choking feeling in the back of my throat. Once I fall asleep, an apnea and sharp need to inhale will occur, sometime with an audible snort.  It's impossible for me to sleep properly without CPAP. Your experience may be different, but once you have used pressure for a while, we should compare notes.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PSG Results: Could this be UARS? deebob 260 18,309 5 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 143 Yesterday, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Oscar CPAP Optimization Results-Awesome!? SeePak 18 380 Yesterday, 05:32 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  [Treatment] Help with interpreting OSCAR results 6bez8dF5lf 7 193 04-15-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: 6bez8dF5lf
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,364 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA
  Test results Kmzizzle 18 1,534 04-12-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Treatment] New to CPAP but keen to learn - Please could you help with results and Q's? JustinWoods 19 1,957 04-10-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.