Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Understanding sinus issues and change in flow rates??
Understanding sinus issues and change in flow rates??
Hey all, 

I was curious, does anyone know if/how sinus issues can affect CPAP therapy? I notice the blockage in my sinuses change constantly during the day. One minute nasal breathing is smooth, the next I feel like one nostril is blocked, the next I feel like I need to breathe out of my mouth. 

Im trying to control this with nasal sprays, allergy medication, ENT doctors etc. But I was wondering how this constant change in sinus and nasal breathing throughout the night might affect how my Autoset 10 delivers therapy? Also any tips?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Understanding sinus issues and change in flow rates??
I have similar allergy problems and use allergy sprays year-round along with allergy pills and shots. Most of the time I have no problems with my nasal pillow mask (Resmed P10), but when it is really bad I use a nasal saline rinse with a neti pot that does the trick. On rare occasion when I cannot clear my nasal passages I have to use a full-face mask (Resmed F30i) which works well even though I end up with a dry mouth.

It takes time to find what works for each of us. Hang in there!
Simplicity is simple, complexity is complex. Don’t confuse the two.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had terrible sinuses all my life.  My doctor told me they are child-sized and have numerous other problems.  Two things help me with pap use.  I have used a neti pot every day for many years.  I think that has helped more than the surgery I had more than 30 years ago.  Also, due to a back issue, I trained myself to sleep on my back a few years before I went on the pap machine.  Then when I started pap use I was told that sleeping on one's back made apnea worse, so I tried sleeping on my side again.  What I gradually realized is that I get slightly better AHIs on my back than on my sides.  I think it is probably due to my poor sinuses.  On my back, I think they can drain more freely.

Anyway, that is what works for me.  I don't know if the neti pot and back sleeping would help you, but I thought I would throw the ideas out for you.  Best of luck with whatever you try! Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
I fight the allergy/sinus battle, as well.  Some things that can help are:  nasal saline mist, netipot rinse, allergy meds.  The other things that have helped me are Flonase and Azelastine (antihistamine nasal spray).  At the height of allergy season I have to use a full face mask unfortunately.
Post Reply Post Reply
For sure i see a correlation to reduced flow limitations on my graphs when using a neti pot daily. Certainly worth a look in.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 91 7 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 40 9 hours ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 262 9 hours ago
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 218 10 hours ago
Last Post: Luka07
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 55 03-27-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,447 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 311 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.