Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Understanding the clinician's manual
Understanding the clinician's manual
I've read the clinician's manual for the S9 VPAP auto but that's a far cry from actually understanding the manual...LOL Have the terms and their applications already been discussed in depth? For example, TI Max/TI Min yields no search results because the terms are too short.

I have quite a few questions regarding how the various settings affect treatment. Is there a link you can direct me to? Should I just start firing out questions? Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Understanding the clinician's manual
Have you searched the wiki?

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...=Wiki_Home

acronyms - http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms

definitions - http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...efinitions
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
those machines are more complex to set and use than the average cpap. you can use the machine in cpap mode, i,m not saying you should but its an option. hope this would help
Ti Max limits the inspiration time for patients who require a longer expiration time
Ti Min prevents the premature cycling to EPAP for patients whose inspiratory pressure is extremely weak
http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/document...-sheet.pdf

Glossary
Ti Min / Ti Max
Minimum / maximum inspiratory time in seconds
http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/document...er_eng.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-03-2012, 12:16 PM)REMember Wrote: For example, TI Max/TI Min yields no search results because the terms are too short.

From this ResMed page:

A unique feature of ResMed’s VPAP™ bilevel devices, TiControl™ allows you to set minimum and maximum inspiratory time limits to accommodate individual respiratory conditions. The minimum and maximum time limits are set at either side of the patient’s ideal spontaneous inspiratory time, providing a “controlled period” for the patient to breathe on their own and spontaneously cycle to EPAP. If their spontaneous inspiratory and expiratory efforts fail to fall within those set time limits, the device will assist them.

The minimum time limit is set via the Ti Min parameter and the maximum time limit is set via the Ti Max parameter. TiControl’s Ti Max and Ti Min parameters play a significant role in maximizing synchronization by effectively intervening to limit or prolong the inspiratory time when required. Along with Vsync, this ensures synchronization even in the presence of significant mouth and/or mask leak.

Adjusting Ti Max may help when treating patients with obstructive lung diseases such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or overlap syndrome (ie, COPD with OSA). COPD and overlap patients frequently have significant air trapping so they require a longer expiratory phase. To ensure adequate time for the patient to exhale, a reasonable maximum inspiratory time or Ti Max should be set.

Adjusting Ti Min may help when treating patients with restrictive lung disorders such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and other neuromuscular disorders, chest wall deformity and post-polio. The challenge in such cases is overcoming hypoventilation and alleviating dyspnea. To prevent premature cycling, a reasonable minimum inspiratory time or Ti Min can be set, allowing time for adequate gas exchange.

ResMed’s unique Vsync technology and TiControl offers additional clinical control and assurance of inspiratory time, promoting reliable patient–device synchrony.

[Image: ti-control.jpg]

Also, refer to this PDF:

http://www.resmed.com/us/documents/s9-ti...-guide.pdf

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
You folks ronk - even if you've never been to Ronk Smile

ResMed's charts and graphs are a bit difficult for me to understand. Perhaps I'm just a bit obtuse. Questions:

"...the VPAP device triggers (initiates IPAP) and cycles (terminates IPAP and changes to EPAP) as it senses the change in patient flow." In the trigger and cycle graph, the trigger sensitivity settings determine how quickly the machine responds to an effort to inhale, correct? A very high trigger sensitivity will bring the machine up to IPAP more quickly and a very low trigger sensitivity creates a bit of a delay, is that correct? Or does that graph represent how responsive the machine is to inspiratory and expatory effort? Same questions (but reversed) for the cycle sensitivity settings. Aside from treating specific conditions, would these settings be used to create additional comfort?

Rise time adjustment. Is this simply a comfort setting? "...patients who are slow breathers may prefer a longer rise time." I'm considered a slow breather when it comes to SCUBA. I tend to take long, slow, deep breaths. Does that make me a slow breather in this sense?

Ti Max and Ti Min OK, now this is just a hot mess in my mind...LOL I:E = 1:2 Do what? Is that meant to reference the ratio of time spent inhaling versus exhaling? Are the TI Min/TI Max settings meant to goose someone that is not making an inspiratory or expiratory effort?

My brain hurts...LOL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information NOTICE: New Clinician Manuals NOW AVAILABLE SuperSleeper 71 78,787 03-20-2024, 01:02 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,551 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  [Admin Note] Wanted: ResMed AirCurve 11 Clinical Guides (Clinician Manuals) SuperSleeper 1 251 03-01-2024, 09:14 AM
Thumbsup NEW MEMBER INFO: GET YOUR OWN [secret] CPAP SETUP MANUAL SuperSleeper 1 1,937 02-17-2024, 01:47 PM
  Help understanding OSCAR Data - Feeling Tired all day (not sleepy) elsanti1976 9 559 01-21-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: elsanti1976
  [Treatment] Understanding rise in AHI PedroT 17 812 12-30-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: PedroT
  Help Understanding CA hollercollett 2 363 12-26-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: hollercollett

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.