Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Understanding tightly clustered CAs
Understanding tightly clustered CAs
Last night, I decided to use my P10 mask instead of my usual F30 but with no change in pressure settings.  AHI jumped up, caused primarily by two tight clusters of CAs (average AHI for me is about 1.7.)

Can someone tell me what was probably happening during these CA clusters?  I see waxing and waning in the flow rate.  SpO2 values have the same pattern. SpO2 was high for me (98%) before this sequence began and dropped to its lowest value of the night (81%) during this sequence.

Any suggestions are most appreciated!

Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Understanding tightly clustered CAs
looks like my periodic limb movement pattern.
Post Reply Post Reply
Guy you’ve had periodic breathing and CA’s before. A p10 nasal mask has a smaller volume than a F30  maybe this caused sufficient over ventilation to cause the rise in CA’s you will prob find the tail off if you keep using the P10

It does seem to coincide with REM sleep maybe. Mine is like that every night but the cluster lasts upto 30 min hence I use an ASV

Here’s a typical night for me on an Autoset a bit more dramatic than yours Big Grin[Image: attachment.php?aid=10362]
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the explanation; your chart is pretty dramatic! I had wondered if the high SpO2 graph before the onset of this sequence was related, and over ventilation would probably raise the SpO2 level?

The pressure did feel noticeably higher -- like I was constantly breathing very deeply -- with the P10. When I used a P10 before, I probably used a lower pressure, so I'll try that again if I stick with the P10. (I stopped using the P10 because of excessive mouth breathing. Since the F30 had kept my mouth closed, I wondered if mouth breathing might have stopped. At least it did for this night.)
Useful links

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Overventilation would tend to raise O2 levels and I'll bet your CO2 levels are dropping at the same time.
Any persistence and I'd cut back on EPR.
Post Reply Post Reply
I increased my min pressure from 9.8 to 10.2 on the first of May and have been using those settings all month. My goal was to see if a slight pressure increase would improve treatment measuires. Overall, HI and OAI seem relatively unchanged, while CAI is slightly increased (even without last night's contribution), so this does not seem to have been a useful adjustment.
Useful links

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,560 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  Help understanding OSCAR Data - Feeling Tired all day (not sleepy) elsanti1976 9 559 01-21-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: elsanti1976
  [Treatment] Understanding rise in AHI PedroT 17 815 12-30-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: PedroT
  Help Understanding CA hollercollett 2 363 12-26-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: hollercollett
  Understanding Sleep Study Centennial2 17 820 12-22-2023, 10:02 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question [Diagnosis] Help Understanding Sleep Study and Titration Test DGJ1014 9 582 12-22-2023, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Understanding OSCAR statistics GusHauck 13 686 11-30-2023, 07:22 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.