Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Understanding what kind of leak I have
Understanding what kind of leak I have
Hi, 

From earlier discussions, I understand that one should aim for < 10 L/min 95% leak rate. I think SarcasticDave even suggested < 4 L/min 95% leak rate. But I have even worse problem it looks like. 

I have attached 2 oscar screen shots - jul 21 (slept without chin strap), jul 22 (slept with chin strap)

I see that shallow breathing and leaks happen together. I want to guess leak happens first and it causes shallow breathing. Curious thing is the leak is happening when the pressure is very low or going down.. And, leak abruptly stops as pressure starts to build. 

Is it mouth leak or nasal pillow leak or both ?  If both how can I tell which is which. Appreciate the education.. 

If nasal pillow leak, I will tighten the strap a bit more..  
If mouth leak, should I try oral mouth tape instead or knightsbridge chip strap (am using a conventional chin strap) ? I have read the wiki page where it says oral mouth tape is controversial... 

Greatly appreciate your advice.. 

thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Understanding what kind of leak I have
It looks like mouth-leaking to me. The chin strap is not helping. I recommend you try a full face mask. It will be a huge improvement.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2022, 02:46 PM)Sleepster Wrote: It looks like mouth-leaking to me. The chin strap is not helping. I recommend you try a full face mask. It will be a huge improvement.

Thank you Sleepster, I see 3 full face masks F20, F30, F30i, which one would you recommend ? 
Also how do you tell that it is mouth leak ? thanks again
Post Reply Post Reply
@ arunjb - Regarding the ResMed face masks:
- F20 is an older version in which the seal goes from just above the chin and forms a triangle going up to over the bridge of the nose.
- F30 is a newer version in which the seal starts just above the chin and goes up to a cradle under the nose but not over the bridge. With the F30, the hose attaches in front.
- F30i is the same as F30 except that with the F30i the hose goes on top of your head.
- Please note these masks can leak of straps are too tight. Leak caused by seal not fully inflating, caused by straps too tight.

Hose placement is an individual thing -- some prefer in front, others on top. Also note that some (not all) users perceive the sound of air rushing through the headgear with the F30i.

In addition to the Resmed masks, there is a Phillips DreamWear full face masks.

Also there are several FFMs made by Fisher & Paykel, and some users think F&P has the best sealing technology on the market. F&Ps newest FFM is called "Evora Full." It gets generally positive reviews, though some users report leaks. This may be (MAY be) due to tightening the straps too tight. Its counter intuitive. In order to seal well, the seal has to fully inflate, which it cannot do if the straps are too tight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2022, 05:06 PM)arunjb Wrote: Also how do you tell that it is mouth leak ? thanks again

You large chunks of time with an elevated leak rate.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
thank you Sleepster and clownbell
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, looks like mask leaks *to me*. In my case the plateau-like leackage is always a mouth like while the jagged leaks are mouth leaks.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2022, 02:12 AM)multicast Wrote: Well, looks like mask leaks *to me*.  In my case the plateau-like leackage is always a mouth like while the jagged leaks are mouth leaks.

Mike

Hi Mike, which one is which ? you say mouth in both cases..
Post Reply Post Reply
In the screenshot dated July 21: I consider those spiky leaks between 1:10 and 1:14 as mouth leaks whereas the following plateau-like leaks between 1:20 and 1:40 as mouth leaks. At least, it would be true in my case ...
Post Reply Post Reply
I think what muticast is saying is that if your leak rate has a quick spike, that's a leak that lasted for a short time and is likely a mask leak. But if you have a leak that plateaus for a long time, that's likely a mouth leak. I see several of those in your data.

As far as which full face mask to try, well, that depends on how well they fit you. The only way to determine that is by trying them. I often switched back and forth between different masks until I found one that I was happy with.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 30 4 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 236 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,410 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,551 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 141 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 151 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 133 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.