Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Undiagnosed, Sure I Have It, Self Employed, Need to Keep Costs in Check
RE: Undiagnosed, Sure I Have It, Self Employed, Need to Keep Costs in Check
nope. 20cm. Hardly worthwhile.
Big Grin
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2013, 04:16 AM)DocWils Wrote: The tube going down into a bucket of water is used to inflate collapsed lungs, both in the third world and in the first - I have used it, and all doctors I know of are trained in it for emergency use when "modern" machines aren't available. My biggest worry about the newest generations of doctors in the West is that they aren't getting trained in the "old ways" intensely enough. Skills like that are getting lost in our reliance on computers and fancy machines and shiny devices, and lives are risk of getting lost as well.

I've read about that. There was also someone making "third world CPAP" with blower fans from car heaters and some sort of "overpressure regulator" with a tube in a bucket of water to make a CPAP.

Here's an example using a water column for a pressure regulator. It's got "high tech" flow generators and a low tech water column. I've also read about some other projects that are decidedly lower tech such as homemade air pumps.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3553107/

I agree with you about the "high tech" trends in areas other than medicine as well. Everyone needs to have some experience getting by with bubble gum and bailing wire in case the high tech doesn't work right. We're also too trusting of the technology and sometimes believe it when something's wrong and we shouldn't. Common sense is sometimes needed to check on the technology.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
For us it is not just about common sense, it is about saving lives. I have been in several situations over the years where an emergency has popped up, I don't even have my bag with me, let a lone a fully-fledged ER, and waiting for an ambulance isn't an option, and I've had to improvise with a fountain pen, a tin of coke and bubblegum or other such handy materials. I don't know if some of the youngsters today could do that. Heck, I had to retrain a whole class of kids just on how to take a bp, because they all only knew about motorised cuffs, and not how to do it with a stethoscope and an an old fashioned sphygo. Now that may seem like nothing, but listening to the beat with a steth tells you tons of things that a motorised cuff can't - that thing can tell you the bp and if the heart flutters during the process, but it can't tell you about a strong or thready beat, or dozens of other things you can learn from just using your ears. I have begun pushing for a course in "spitball" emergency methods to be included in every training, and a class in basic mechanics of each device we use today, so they understand how they came about and could make the same thing out of paper clips if need be. These "third-world" solutions are the result of people there understanding what the devices really do and finding a way to do the same thing in a pinch. I think all docs in the west should know how to do that, too. We used to, and even had a courses of the history of medical practices and learned how they did things in the cat-gut era and before, but not any more. Here its not so bad yet, but the US is really bad that way in most schools.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree, Doc!
We should all know how to drive a manual transmission car.

Cheers!
=^.^=
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Errrrr<sheepish>, I actually CAN'T drive stick - I'm hell on a clutch and it usually won't go anywhere.....
Post Reply Post Reply
Practice makes perfect!
=^.^=

(I could have been a doctor too but I didn't have the patients!)

(ooo. That was bad....)

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2013, 11:39 AM)Shastzi Wrote: (I could have been a doctor too but I didn't have the patients!)

(ooo. That was bad....)

I wanted to be a lawyer, but I couldn't ever pass a bar.

Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2013, 11:39 AM)Shastzi Wrote: Practice makes perfect!
=^.^=

If practice makes perfect, shouldn't my handwriting be nice and legible? Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2013, 11:39 AM)Shastzi Wrote: Practice makes perfect!
=^.^=

(I could have been a doctor too but I didn't have the patients!)

(ooo. That was bad....)

Last week a man of the vertically challenged persuasion came to my overcrowded surgery and asked if I could squeeze him in.

"Yes, " I replied, "You'll just have to be a little patient."
Post Reply Post Reply
DielaughingLaugh-a-lotToo-funny
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 92 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
  [Treatment] Undiagnosed but trialing a CPAP SleepyBee10 1 128 03-12-2024, 09:06 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  How can I check if my ClimateAir actually heats up? NoddingHacker 1 174 02-06-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,433 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
Question 24 years old, Central Sleep Apnea only. Check out my OSCAR data? FL00D 4 1,030 10-02-2023, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] CPAP starts and runs like it's doing a leak check after getting a new mask ironballsmcginty 1 403 09-28-2023, 05:06 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Symptoms] Undiagnosed CSA since 9 years old Sleepwalking 4 497 09-14-2023, 11:43 AM
Last Post: Sleepwalking

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.