Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Undiagnosed newbie
RE: Undiagnosed newbie
Thanks for the advice re different types of bilevel, I did not know that.

Noted re med advice, I'll have poke around the neuropathy forums and see what they are using for breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2017, 03:26 AM)SuperCramp Wrote: So many helpful replies, thank you.

I might have some obstructive apnea, but my main issue is my diaphragm. I noticed, while coming out of an op, in recovery, that I had to consciously breathe to stay at 98% O2, while everyone else was steady at 98%. I have had shortness of breath when lying down.

The neuropathy is something I have had all my life, it was pretty much symptomless until I took Lipitor, which gave me muscle and nerve damage.

I have tried CoQ10, it seems to help.

I also got nerve damage from taking excessive Vitamin B6, and suspect I have something in my genes that makes my nerves susceptible to toxic damage. Perhaps a mild form of CMT.

Anyway, from what you have said, the bilevel machine sounds like the go. I have looked at the cheap units on Amazon, under $1000, they might be the go. I'll keep reading.

oxygen level below 90% are when they start to take notice. you may have sat nicely at 95% for a few hours till the meds wore off. not sitting easily at 98% wouldn't be a concern to me, It wouldn't make me go buy a cpap, given the situation.

the doctors and tests are free at a public hospital, I wouldn't self treat

as has been said a couple of times, there are different machines for different problems, it's not just a choice between cpap and bipap
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I went below 90% in recovery each time I started to doze. Had to wake myself and concentrate on breathing. I wasn't gasping, it was just a nuisance.

Makes me think that when sleeping I would be the same.
Post Reply Post Reply
TBH I think that's a bit of a leap, you were coming out of an anesthetic. It's up to you what you do. I hope it works out.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2017, 05:53 AM)SuperCramp Wrote: I went below 90% in recovery each time I started to doze. Had to wake myself and concentrate on breathing. I wasn't gasping, it was just a nuisance.

That's really not uncommon. They should have accessed you for sleep apnea before surgery; and you should have been on PAP during post-op recovery.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SuperCramp,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I hope you find a solution to your problem, good luck to you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and let us know of your progress.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The post-op experience simply gave me some data on a screen that reinforced my beliefs that I have breathing trouble, based on my shortness of breath when sleeping, with occasional morning headaches etc (no beer involved either!).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Undiagnosed but trialing a CPAP SleepyBee10 1 122 03-12-2024, 09:06 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 478 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.