Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Unexpected Aerophagia
Unexpected Aerophagia
In November 2016, I decided to get a sleep study done before I retired in April of 2017 as my healthcare plan took care of the cost. Immediately after retiring we moved half way across the country to be closer to our kids, grandkids & great-grandkids. I was told after we moved, our new state would not honor our sleep study prescription as it was ordered by a NP and not a doctor. (lost my doctor due to Obamacare) Due to delays getting Medicare B coverage I finally took my 2nd test 13 months later.

For some reason and I am sure it's quite possible, my first test was AHI 29.4 with minimum pressure set at 7 cmh2o and the second test taken a year later was AHI  34.1 with minimum pressure set at 12 cmh2o. My machine was set at12 cmh2o. After awhile through the fine help of this forum, my numbers were great.(mostly <2.00) Then recently for no reason that I could figure out I started to acquire bouts of aerophagia. It started to get severe and lead to intense bloating, severe diaharrea and dehydration. I sent an e-mail to the doctor but as expected, no response. 

I know most aerophagia is caused with higher pressure and mouth breathing or mask leaks so I discontinued my nasal mask and now only use either the F20 Airtouch or Airfit mask. I also decided to try my first sleep study's number of 7 cmh2o. I slowly backed down to 7 from 12 over a weeks time. I started to use A-flex and first set it to one and then a few days later to 2 and increased my pressure to 9 to compensate for the flex. I also elevated my headboard 4 inches and things are seemingly improving. My AHI has been mostly <2.00 again for the last 5 days. I've attached todays numbers just in case anyone may have any more suggestions. I still have smaller instances of aerophagia, but they are much improved from where they were and I know they do no harm. I do use a soft cervical collar and it didn't help the aerophagia.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Unexpected Aerophagia
In this graph, your pressure is effectively 9.0 to 10.0 and AHI is still less than one. If this is representative, I think you can safely lower max pressure from 18 to 10 or 11 at most, and experiment with lower minimum pressure. Most of what you have done is solid titration, and resolving aerophagia is often a matter of compromise between the AHI and air ingestion. In your case, this narrow pressure range, or even fixed pressure at 9.5 looks pretty good.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Unexpected Aerophagia
Thanks Sleeprider. I will lower the maximum pressure and see where I can go with lowering minimum as well. As I said in my post I was completely surprised I functioned fine on the lower titration than the higher newer one. The most important thing is I seem to sleep better. Now if I could only sleep longer....Mike
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 593 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,643 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 11 523 02-19-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] UARS with Aerophagia and a High Leak Rate, what next? Adam0410 9 407 02-14-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 215 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Ohmy Aerophagia is making me lose my mind urachan 9 850 01-01-2024, 05:01 AM
Last Post: airwaystent
  EPR, Central Apnea, and Aerophagia rpierce 23 2,303 11-12-2023, 12:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.