Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Unexpected Positive from CPAP
Unexpected Positive from CPAP
I thought I'd share a positive result from CPAP therapy with you guys, and it might help those new to CPAP to look at it in a different way.

Ive always struggled with falling asleep, hence the sleep meds, because I have trouble turning my thoughts off.

But with the machine attached and no ramp, I find that all Im thinking about is the regular breathing in and out, which quickly clears the mind of all other thoughts, and hey presto, I'm asleep.

Every cloud has a silver lining, just got to look for it Sleep-well
Failure is NOT an option.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Unexpected Positive from CPAP
True - I also found that I developed a quick sleep response with the CPAP, whereas before it I could take hours to nod off.
Post Reply Post Reply
Same here. I am a habits kind of guy. Mask doesn't go on til I am ready to sleep, so once mask does go on, generally I am out within minutes.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
putting my mask on and taking that first breath to start the flow is like flipping a light switch off for me
Post Reply Post Reply
Always nice to read positive feedback but for many CPAPers like myself have to struggle hard in the beginning to make the therapy work.

Any one who read those glossy brochures that CPAP manufactures hand out would conclude how exciting ... use CPAP at night and wake up feeling refreshed in the morning and ready to take on the world

Yes, for some might be that simple but from reading heaps stories of its a different story altogether in the real world

For sure, CPAP have a positive benefits, I would never sleep or nap without one but I don't think anyone would use one if they don't have to

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2014, 10:48 AM)Eurika Wrote: Ive always struggled with falling asleep, hence the sleep meds, because I have trouble turning my thoughts off.

Anxiety is a symptom of untreated sleep apnea. Once CPAP therapy lets us start getting better sleep the anxiety subsides.

Lots of meds are prescribed to treat the anxiety and depression experienced by sleep apnea sufferers. We are lucky to have CPAP therapy. It's a far better alternative because it treats the cause rather than the symptoms.

I'm glad you're getting used to your CPAP machine.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Eurika,
It's great to hear that you are having such a positive experience with your CPAP therapy, keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepster, you hit the nail on the head with your description of anxiety and depression.

Now that I'm getting a handle on my Apnea my next target is my depression, and the first steps are to very slowly reduce the sleep meds as I really object to being reliant on them.

I have a great relationship with my Psych and he knows that if I have any concerns with regard to my depression taking a turn for the worse I'll be in to see him in short order. Currently its a ten minute visit every 4 months for a quick update on mood and a top up on meds.

Its such a positive experience treating the apnea, understanding it, and the ongoing benefits in other areas has really opened my eyes and improved and continuing to improve my quality of life.

Oh I woke up from a good 6 hour sleep about 15 mins ago, and as you can see my mind is sharp and active almost immediately.

Failure is NOT an option.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Eurika,

I'm so glad you are getting the benefits from CPAP, including the bonus "unexpected positive" you've discovered. I wish you the best success with CPAP and hope your future is filled with good sleep, energy - and less anxiety and depression. Thanks for sharing such encouraging news.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just getting it out there?

I have many "issues", apnea being just one of them.

I was at my Pain Doc's the other day, and was asked "Are you depressed?" - and I do not even know how to begin to answer that question?

I find it 'depressing' that at 52 years old, I have multiple different meds that I will literally die if I stop taking within months.

I've had two different joint surgeries within 4 months of each other, and my pain changes depending on if I am sitting, standing, etc.

If I am 'depressed', I am doing what I can to make stuff/life better, but it's not an overnight process (which is depressing) - so what good is it to talk about whether or not I am depressed?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  anyone with positive apnea reduction using emf shielding over bed? Pierelly 7 250 03-21-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Health] AHI Increased - Covid Positive amfar33 2 412 12-27-2023, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Adding EPR had unexpected effects TiredTom111 12 1,609 08-18-2023, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Unexpected billing items from DME Sleeprider 3 644 08-04-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  WARNING to CPAP Users: PREPARE for the Unexpected - When the power goes out SuperSleeper 231 120,292 07-21-2023, 05:07 AM
Last Post: baffled
  [Treatment] Clear airway events or false positive? knobwasher 3 678 06-21-2023, 09:44 AM
Last Post: Kingsway
  False positive for sleep apnea/UARS? Bluebuffalo 8 1,162 05-11-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: cdplatt

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.