Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Unexpected and Most Welcome benefits from xpap therapy!
Smile 
Unexpected and Most Welcome benefits from xpap therapy!
I have had sinus infections and cough for at least 40 yrs nor could I hold my breath for more than a couple seconds. As a preteen I loved to swim and the length of the pool underwater was no problem. I lived on a boat in the warm clear waters of the Caribbean but couldn't dive because of the aforesaid.
So yesterday I tried to hold my breath and TA DA !
I could hold my breath with no discomfort and no panic or cough!
It would seem my "idiopathic" cough was in fact caused by GERD caused by vacuum of untreated sleep apnea. I now occasionally have heartburn if I eat too much greasy or spicy (no gal bladder) but sinus drainage has declined markedly. Cough is generally dust or pollen related. And now I can again hold my breath for more than a few seconds without discomfort.

The medical establishment has been misdiagnosing my problems for at least 40 years.
Had I not found this place and you people I would still be miserable and wishing I could go gently into the night.....

Thanks
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Unexpected and Most Welcome benefits from xpap therapy!
That's great news. I also suffer sinus problems and about 16 years ago was "diagnosed" with insufficient lung capacity, after having problems waking up fully after major explority surgery. No treatment ever explained. I haven't SCUBA dived since the mid 70's and mainly swim in our creek or float in the hot tub. I have always enjoyed singing, but loose my breath in the middle of easy phrases. Can't wait to see if I notice any breath improvement!
Thanks for sharing that life style improvement.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mark-

Good news!

Have you thanked the sleep study center and your doctors?

Every time I see my cardiologist I thank him for screening me with Epworth and getting me scheduled for the PSG.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2015, 08:03 AM)Mark Douglas Wrote: It would seem my "idiopathic" cough was in fact caused by GERD caused by vacuum of untreated sleep apnea.

Mark,
Is this statement your speculation of what goes on or is it the diagnosis of your doctor? Is this a documented effect?
I ask because I have been fighting long term GERD which has resulted in esophagitis. A chronic cough is the only symptom I "feel". My OSA went under-treated for years as a result of invalid sleep study and old technology CPAP. Now that I have the data to examine and a properly set pressure I am experiencing less coughing. I would dearly love to think I am positively affecting the esophagitis which can lead to esophageal cancer.

Update:
I researched this a bit and found a good article. The jury is out but there are some good scientific points here.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2879818/

if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2015, 07:42 AM)MobileBasset Wrote:
(06-25-2015, 08:03 AM)Mark Douglas Wrote: It would seem my "idiopathic" cough was in fact caused by GERD caused by vacuum of untreated sleep apnea.

Mark,
Is this statement your speculation of what goes on or is it the diagnosis of your doctor? Is this a documented effect?
I ask because I have been fighting long term GERD which has resulted in esophagitis. A chronic cough is the only symptom I "feel". My OSA went under-treated for years as a result of invalid sleep study and old technology CPAP. Now that I have the data to examine and a properly set pressure I am experiencing less coughing. I would dearly love to think I am positively affecting the esophagitis which can lead to esophageal cancer.

Update:
I researched this a bit and found a good article. The jury is out but there are some good scientific points here.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2879818/

Both. I reasoned this from research and my first person experience. When I asked my PCP he quickly agreed with my speculation I was aspirating stomach contents and had me take OTC omeprazole at twice the OTC dosage for 30 days. The omeprazole allowed me to heal. Now pap therapy has prevented the root cause from reoccurring. PLEASE NOTE this is not what is specified on the OTC bottle but I have faith in doc B. I am NOT recommending anyone pursue this course of action. This round of med was immediately prior my beginning pap therapy. Synergistic events. It took me a long long rough road to find Dr B. He was the first MD to actually consider my input and not just say you are depressed, here is your Rx for anti-depressant med, and unsaid go away and don't bother me.

This guy is great! and he discusses this phenomenon. http://doctorstevenpark.com/how-sleep-ap...sin-reflux
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
Mark, they actually haven't known that long that GERD causes a host of other symptoms, particularly respiratory. I kept getting a chronic cough after bad colds that would take months to go away and finally never went away. It was determined that I had post nasal drip caused by GERD. The OTC omeprazole didn't do enough. The gastroenterologist I saw last year regarding cancer screening increased my dosage to 40 mg. a day and that has solved that problem. The hope is that weight loss will eliminate the problem. I never had GERD until I had to take steroids.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mark, I like the doctorstevenpark link.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 840 4 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,084 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 177 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 256 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,269 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,365 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 969 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.