Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Unexpected side effect...
So, I have recently started therapy, and have run into a side effect that was not expected, nor wanted. I use the Quattro FX mask. I'm waking up in the mornings with my nose and 2 spots on my forehead red and irritated. Within 24 hours, the affected areas explode with pimples/whiteheads, and it takes 3-4 days of NOT using the mask to heal/clear up.

I wash my face before bed, I've even tried using astringent alcohol wipes. Its not working. Anyone else seen this happen? If so, how did you deal with it? Its to the point that I'd rather be exhausted and tired than have my face looking like it does for a week at a time.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Unexpected side effect...
It sounds like you might be cranking down on the straps a little too much. The mask is supposed to be comfortably snug when inflated, not pushy.

You could try a different style mask. Either a nasal mask or a pillows mask. I'd suggest the pillows mask even though you may feel like that can't work for you. I'm the poster child for "that can't work, but does far better than I could have imagined."

Post Reply Post Reply
retired_guy, I would agree with you 100% that the mask is tight, but my pressure is so high that if I don't go real tight, it leaks like a sieve. However, why would a tight mask cause pimples/whiteheads?
Post Reply Post Reply
.....and I forgot...

Also you could try a mask "liner." That's a simple piece of cotton that lines the rim of the mask. You can make one from your kids favorite t-shirt. Just cut out a section in the back a little larger than the mask outline, and cut the center out where Mr. Nosie goes.

Likely, the kid won't even notice........
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2014, 12:09 PM)Droosk Wrote: retired_guy, I would agree with you 100% that the mask is tight, but my pressure is so high that if I don't go real tight, it leaks like a sieve. However, why would a tight mask cause pimples/whiteheads?

It sounds like pressure points causing the issue. But how about let's get into the basics a little: How high is high? What is your AHI? What is your leak rate?

That kind of stuff.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2014, 12:02 PM)Droosk Wrote: So, I have recently started therapy, and have run into a side effect that was not expected, nor wanted. I use the Quattro FX mask. I'm waking up in the mornings with my nose and 2 spots on my forehead red and irritated. Within 24 hours, the affected areas explode with pimples/whiteheads, and it takes 3-4 days of NOT using the mask to heal/clear up.

I wash my face before bed, I've even tried using astringent alcohol wipes. Its not working. Anyone else seen this happen? If so, how did you deal with it? Its to the point that I'd rather be exhausted and tired than have my face looking like it does for a week at a time.

Tell you DME provider that the Quattro isn't working out and you want to try a Nasal Pillow Mask. The only contact point is the underside of your nose.

Most DMEs have some sort of policy that allows replacing masks that aren't working out. It usually takes 2 or 3 or 5 or more to find one that works really well for you.

Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same problem with the mirage quatro. I now have the f&p simplus with a liner and do not have the problem. I have rosecea and the quatro material seemed to iritate my skin. The pimples were gastly.
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
Why do you have a full face mask (FFM)? In my opinion, FFM's should only be a last resort or for those who can't breathe through the nose, or those who can't stop mouth leaks with a nasal mask.

Your mask disassembles. Take it apart and clean the living heck out of the "pimple" points on the mask. ResMed says no, but you can put the clear rubbery silicone parts in the dishwasher. If not that, you can use alcohol on the silicone a few times, even though you might not want to use alcohol too frequently.

It's possible that there's some sort of residue from the manufacturing process on or in the silicone.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Droosk, if you're getting warm at all, you'll sweat at the contact points with the mask....if you have oily skin, it can lead to pimples. If a good cleaning isn't helping, it may be worthwhile to try a different style of mask.

If you've got the mask cranked right down to your face, you could be brewing pressure sores...if the mask leaks like a sieve otherwise, I think it isn't the mask for you. I'd have a chat with your provider about a different mask or mask style.

archangle, we're going to disagree Wink I think ffm's are a viable choice for anyone. I know a lot of folks and DMEs subscribe to the minimalist approach, but in order to get compliance, you need to go with what works. I can use pillows and nasal masks (I don't have issues with keeping my mouth shut), but prefer a ffm or tfm because they are generally better anchored for someone like me who prefers side and tummy sleeping to sleeping on my back. My best treatment numbers (AHI and leaks), comfort and best feeling during the day comes from a TFM, so that's what I use.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mask fit is so individual, one should always be cautious when advising someone what type of mask to use. I can share with others what I do to make my mask work for me - it isn't helpful for me to tell someone what type of mask I think they should use.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 409 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 439 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 258 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 402 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  would it matter if you ran a cpap (without humidifier) on its side?on its side snorin2 8 629 11-19-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  [Equipment] SD card question and mask leak issue when side sleeping KingsIndian 1 431 10-13-2023, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.