Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do CPAP/ APAP machines really work?
RE: Do CPAP/ APAP machines really work?
I can sleep through anything so I am fine going to sleep with am mask strapped to my face. But 2 months in I don't feel any less tired during the day. AHI is WAAAY down though so I will keep using it because the data says it works at least.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2015, 03:28 AM)YTN3rd Wrote: I can sleep through anything so I am fine going to sleep with am mask strapped to my face. But 2 months in I don't feel any less tired during the day. AHI is WAAAY down though so I will keep using it because the data says it works at least.

Some people, lots of people, don't start feeling refreshed right away. There is a short of sleep deficit situation where it just takes you some time to get back to zero, to reach a place where your nights sleep isn't still trying to pay off all the sleep you've missed. Once you reach that point, you'll usually see a benefit.

Keep using your machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
It could also be that while your AHI is down, you have not yet optimized your therapy and can get better... you should fill in your machine details and download SleepyHead.

AHI "way down" is a subjective measure... if it is way down from 100 to 20 - you would still be suffering too high of a score Big Grin on the other hand your AHI could be 2, but still have a lot of sub-apneic incidents that could be eliminated with a slightly higher pressure - or you could be having cpap invoked "centrals" and need a slightly lower pressure. The devil is in the details Wink
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2015, 03:28 AM)YTN3rd Wrote: I can sleep through anything so I am fine going to sleep with am mask strapped to my face. But 2 months in I don't feel any less tired during the day. AHI is WAAAY down though so I will keep using it because the data says it works at least.

I'm new to this board, but have been using an APAP machine for around 9 years. My experience the first night after getting a machine was a restful night for the first time in decades. It took me months to get that feeling of being less sleepy out of my system.

Stick with it, it's working!

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2015, 07:21 AM)MickD Wrote: Hi,
I'm new here, I've just been diagnosed with Sleep apnea and have been provided with a ResMed S9 Auto, last night was my first try with it.... it went OK but I was still waking up, I know it may take a while to get used to it but just wondering how bigger difference the machine makes, at the moment I feel exhausted throughout the day and I'm really hoping this improves how I feel.
I have an appointment next week with the sleep clinic to see how I get on and to fine tune things if needed.

Anyone have any advice for a newbie?

Thanks,

Mick.

It can take a while to feel better, esp because it might take awhile to get the right mask fit and pressures.

I started feeling human after about a week and I'm 6 months into cpap therapy and I can tell you it was life changing for me.

No longer tired and my blood pressure, heart rate and general well being are great and I seem to no longer have Premature Ventricular Contractions (though they took about 4 months to cease).

Hoping yours has you feeling better soon.

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree, a high AHI is a sign that attention is needed, but a low AHI doesn't necessarily indicate that all is well. In particular, it's important to look at the leak graph for extended periods of large leak. Even if the machine reports that the leak rate is acceptable, periods of leaks can ruin your sleep,
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 2 64 6 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,227 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 154 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 227 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 10 303 04-02-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 17 927 04-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.