Unknowingly taking mask off during the night...
kyhmm72 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Philips DreamStation
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Philips Respironics DreamWear
Humidifier: Philips DreamStation
CPAP Pressure: 6-16
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Surprised Unknowingly taking mask off during the night...
Good morning fellow apnea friends. I am so sleepy this morning that I feel as I could put my head down on my keyboard and crash.

I am about 5 weeks into CPAP treatment, and have been doing well for a beginner, until the last couple of weeks. It got warm outside and was obviously time to turn the AC on, but the AC didn't work. That meant warm nights. Window open, fan on high. Over 80 degrees inside. I found myself struggling with using my CPAP the 4 hours per night that I need to use it for insurance to pay. The last two nights have been quite cool, and I rested much better the night before last. Last night I still took the mask off in my sleep and woke up sometime during the night and put it back on, but didn't turn my machine on, so for a good couple of hours, I was fighting to breathe before I finally turned it on. I'm wondering if anyone else takes their mask off in their sleep, and if so, how do you stop doing it?
05-05-2016 07:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Unknowingly taking mask off during the night...
G'day kyhmm72. Yes, it's something we all have done at one time or another, and it can be a hard habit to break. Mostly it's a matter of getting comfortable with the machine and mask. Hot humid nights don't help! I'm lucky that SWMBO is a light sleeper and will give me a nudge if I take mine off.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-06-2016 02:04 AM
sevenlevels Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset apap
Mask Type: Hybrid
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: HumidAir w/ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 7.4 / 7.6-12.8 EPR-3
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Started treatment 01/28/16

Sex: Male

I started setting an alarm for the time I usually removed the mask. Then just kept adding a half hour after that. Did that for several nights.

During my first month I would use the machine while watching TV or napping to get my four hours per Day compliance.
05-06-2016 06:38 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
green wings Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics System One RemStar Pro (460)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: integrated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 13.0 cm
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: using CPAP since Jan. 2016

Sex: Undisclosed

Hi kyhmm72.

I have been using CPAP for about 3.5 months now. I did take my mask off a few times during the first few weeks. I use a nasal mask, and once I moved it off my nose and slept with it covering my mouth for at least an hour. Wow, did that make me feel horrible the next morning!

I have my machine set to "auto-on" now. If I put on my mask and take a deep breath, the machine automatically comes on. I usually turn on the machine myself, but if I was in a sleep fog and forgot, it would turn on by itself.

If your mask is starting to leak when your treatment pressure goes higher, that could be one reason that you might remove your mask in your sleep.

Another reason could be nasal congestion. I had a problem with that during my beginning CPAP use. I had to play with my humidifier settings to get them just right, then that problem seemed to go away.

I know it's very frustrating to wake up and see the mask lying next to you and have no memory at all of taking it off.

If you want to use download the SleepyHead software (link at the top of this page), it will show you graphs of your treatment pressure during the night. If you take off your mask, that will show up, too. If you're taking off your mask when your treatment pressure increases, you'll be able to see that in the graphs.

I hope that getting your AC working again will fix this problem.

Welcome to the Apnea Board forum. This is a great resource for solving problems with your xPAP therapy.

(05-05-2016 07:22 AM)kyhmm72 Wrote:  Good morning fellow apnea friends. I am so sleepy this morning that I feel as I could put my head down on my keyboard and crash.

I am about 5 weeks into CPAP treatment, and have been doing well for a beginner, until the last couple of weeks. It got warm outside and was obviously time to turn the AC on, but the AC didn't work. That meant warm nights. Window open, fan on high. Over 80 degrees inside. I found myself struggling with using my CPAP the 4 hours per night that I need to use it for insurance to pay. The last two nights have been quite cool, and I rested much better the night before last. Last night I still took the mask off in my sleep and woke up sometime during the night and put it back on, but didn't turn my machine on, so for a good couple of hours, I was fighting to breathe before I finally turned it on. I'm wondering if anyone else takes their mask off in their sleep, and if so, how do you stop doing it?
05-06-2016 08:25 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Taking mask off in my sleep JulieB30 5 309 12-07-2016 10:28 AM
Last Post: Vort
Question AHI increase now taking opioids Buddyistan 5 258 10-28-2016 07:59 PM
Last Post: richb
  1st night with DreamWear mask - Best night ever pwgphoto 34 5,346 08-30-2016 08:36 PM
Last Post: HoustonMIke
  First Night using Simplus Mask SkinTone 17 840 08-14-2016 02:54 PM
Last Post: chill
  [CPAP] Needing help (Keeping mask on at night) naata 18 750 08-05-2016 11:48 AM
Last Post: icyura10
  Mask sounding like elephant calls and waking me all night mummer1962 3 343 07-20-2016 07:31 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Taking a break from CPAP Jim Bronson 41 2,019 06-07-2016 06:24 PM
Last Post: green wings