Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Unpleasant arousals increased since I began APAP
Unpleasant arousals increased since I began APAP
Since starting CPAP some years ago, my AHI has been controlled pretty well, though I do not feel any better than I did pre-therapy in terms of energy and sleepiness.

However, I periodically experience 'unpleasant arousals' where I awake after a bad dream, one in which I am struggling to do something like climb a hill or just open a door, accompanied by fear of something. I am breathless, my heart rate is usually elevated and I feel lightheaded - all symptoms of suffocation I guess, and due to a prolonged apnea. I suppose the suffocation causes my brain to invent a dream that rationalises the feeling of being out of breath or struggling physically.

I was hoping this might happen less frequently when I upgraded from CPAP to APAP (Airsense Auto For Her), simply because it delivers better therapy. Disappointingly, I'm having MORE of these arousals.

Before I start messing with settings, armed mostly with equal measures of ignorance and desperation, may I ask for suggestions on the basis of the accompanying Oscar chart please? If I need to provide more charts or zoom in, just let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Unpleasant arousals increased since I began APAP
Another chart:
Post Reply Post Reply
Steve, have we never discussed increasing EPR to tame the flow limits and hypopnea? These are the root cause of most RERA. You should be using EPR at 3.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2020, 10:01 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Steve, have we never discussed increasing EPR to tame the flow limits and hypopnea?  These are the root cause of most RERA. You should be using EPR at 3.

I've been threatening to post charts for months now, but delayed because I was planning to upgrade my machine. I don't recall the EPR suggestion, but maybe I missed that, or forgot.

I was using minimum EPR because I thought that reduced centrals. Can't recall. Rolleyes 

If you think changing EPR will help, I'll give it a go. Thanks!

By the way, where do you see flow limits? I don't understand how to interpret the charts.  I'm curious to understand why I have periods of elevated respiration rate, too. Is that related to flow limitation?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 234 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 89 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 374 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 577 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 440 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,427 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,152 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.