Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Unreliable BiPap machine
Unreliable BiPap machine
Hello, new here, thank you.  To make a long story short -- woke up gasping for air, doctor had DME send me home sleep test equipment.  They found I had 40 apneas in one hour.  I ended up taking four sleep studies at the doctors offices, tried four different machines, and settled on the Respironics BiPap  autoSV Advanced System One with humidifier (I took what machine they recommended).   Apparently, I have Complex Sleep Apnea.   I received the current machine 6/1/18, with a two year warranty, and it was paid for by Partnership (Californias health plan since I was on disability due to cancers).
The problem I've had with this machine is it keeps making popping sounds.  It started popping early August 2019,  I gave it to the DME to send to Respironcs for warranty repair.  I got it back one month later and it started popping again four days later.  I've given it to the DME to send to Respironics 3 times for repairs for popping noise.  It's about to go back for it's fourth repair.  I'm now on Medicare and apparently they won't authorize a new and different machine since I have not had this machine for 5 years yet.   The DME has given me 'loaners' while it's being repaired.  Out of the last 12 months, it's been in the repair shop 6 of those months.
I'm having some sleep issues, including having to take Ambien nightly -- but I think that discussion might be for another time.
I'm wondering if this was an out of date machine when I received it and if it just got pawned off on me or if maybe the DME gave me a rebuilt machine.  And if anyone has any suggestions to help, I appreciate it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Unreliable BiPap machine
The current model for Philips Respironics is the Dreamstation BiPAP Auto SV DSX900. The System one went out of production in 2016 or 17. You can check the date of manufacture, but we have seen outdated machines and used machines issued to patients with no disclosure.

The best machine for your condition by far is the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV. It is more comfortable, more responsive and results in significantly lower events. On this forum we have users of both machines an many that have switched from the Philips to Resmed. Do what you can but be advised doctors and suppliers receive incentives from Philips to exclusively recommend and sell their machines. It is a system that undercuts consumer choice and pretends it makes no difference because the "machines are the same". As for a Resmed loaner or if your just fed up with the whole thing and want to live your life, get a lightly used Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV from Supplier #2 for $1350. No one should have to deal with a critical machine like this that fails on average every year! While you are at it, ask if your DME distributes Resmed as well as Philips. If they have an exclusive sales agreement with Philips, you need to find another in-network supplier for the next round.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When you get the machine back, check the hours run. Take the months you have owned x 30(days) x 8 (hours).  If the hours run is more you have a used machine (the hours CAN NOT be reset).  If it’s used I would go to your Dr he should have some power to get the supplier to give you another machine. Make it a ResMed!  To get the hours run is on a menu you can’t get to unless you know how. I’m not sure on yours but YouTube has videos on all pap machines and how to get to that menu. Search your machine run hours.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2020, 09:11 PM)staceyburke Wrote: When you get the machine back, check the hours run. Take the months you have owned x 30(days) x 8 (hours).  If the hours run is more you have a used machine (the hours CAN NOT be reset).  If it’s used I would go to your Dr he should have some power to get the supplier to give you another machine. Make it a ResMed!  To get the hours run is on a menu you can’t get to unless you know how. I’m not sure on yours but YouTube has videos on all pap machines and how to get to that menu. Search your machine run hours.

This will do it for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hf-w6CAjGc
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder if the popping is water in the tube ? It’s what mine sounds like. So caused by a cold room and the humidity on the machine set too high. A hose cosy would help to prevent the condensation in the tube
Post Reply Post Reply
@jaswilliams-- the popping has happened a lot when the machine starts applying pressure.  In fact, I could put my thumb over the heated hose at the mask connector and without blocking all the air I could make it pop by lifting my thumb and placing it back down to block the air.  The last time I got it back from repair, it popped when it was first turned on.  And my sleep room temperature is usually around 69 degrees or higher,

@holden4th & staceyburke -- thanks for the link.  The current machine hours shows 561.1.  And that doesn't seem accurate considering I've been using the machine for 20.5 months (I deducted 6 months since it has been in repair that long).  I'm real faithful on using it-- I've fallen asleep a couple of times before getting the mask on though.  And even then, in the middle of the night I'll wake up and put it on.

I saw the doctor about a month ago, and she agreed to write a letter instructing them to give me a new machine (I can only assume she did that).  I waited a month before calling the DME since they don't seem to good as Customer Service -- and finally I ended up calling them.  According to the DME, my insurance (Medicare & AARP supplement) won't authorize a new one since it hasn't been 5 years yet.  I'm considering calling Medicare directly and seeing if I can get any action that way.  I''m supposed to meet with the DME on Thursday to give them the machine for their fourth trying at fixing it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Remove all water from the machine and do a check on the pressure to see if it still pops. Jaswilliams was correct, water in the tube is the most common cause of this problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The point where the tube connects at the machine points upward a little.  The tube then goes upward for another foot or so at a rather steep angle, then horizontal, then comes down to the mask point.  Any water in the tube I would think would flow back into the reservoir.   BUT, I took off the tube at the machine connecting point, turned on the machine and used my thumb to apply back-pressure at that point.  And it was popping steadily.   THEN, I left the tube off, and then removed the reservoir, and turned on the machine and applied back-pressure again -- no popping.  I then emptied the reservoir of water and installed it in the machine, and used my thumb again, and no popping.   So it pops with water in the reservoir (maybe I need some of that heavy water).   Any ideas what to do next?
Post Reply Post Reply
When I was presented with my CPAP, I was under the impression that it was new and not used. It did appear to be new and it came with all the manuals, carry bag, accessories and such. 

It wasn't until I became a member of this forum, that I learned how to check the run hours. I did so, and my machine had 52 unexplained hrs. on it. 

It's been performing flawlessly and all is good. But.....if I do happen to still be using a CPAP years from now, I'll know to check it's run hours.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2020, 01:25 PM)Rich66 Wrote: So it pops with water in the reservoir (maybe I need some of that heavy water).   Any ideas what to do next?

I used water in the reservoir for years, and then one night I forgot to fill it. When I got up in the morning I realized that there had been no change in my comfort level, so I left the reservoir empty again the next night, and once more I felt fine. I haven't used water in the reservoir since. I would recommend trying to see what happens if you just let it stay empty. And if you do need water in the reservoir, it's been a long time since I used a PRS1, but I seem to recall that you could change the humidity levels, so that might be something else to try. Oh, and one more idea - try changing the position of the hose, or replace it with a different hose.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,054 Yesterday, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 216 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 348 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  bipap Innisfree 2 452 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Got Bipap instead of prescribed ResMed Autoset machine. Please help me get going. marvin2023 2 584 10-10-2023, 07:26 PM
Last Post: marvin2023
Sad [Treatment] Need help/advise after changing BiPAP Machine dnar82 6 731 09-29-2023, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Can I use Bipap Machine for Cpap Julia63 8 726 09-21-2023, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.