Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Unusally high Hypopnea cluster
Unusally high Hypopnea cluster
I finally replaced my Dreamstation after it finally died (before it killed me) with and S10. I haven't been able to get into a good sleep doctor yet so i set it up using the PR POS settings. With slight tweeking my AHI is under 5.
I had , for me, an unusally high Hypopnea cluster the first hour of sleep last night. Wearing a ResMed N20 mask. My nose was stuffy making it hard to breathe. Could mouth breathing cause this cluster?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Unusally high Hypopnea cluster
Sats fro the last year     .  Not too compliant with the PR due to it trying to kill me. I could only use it every other week be for my airway would be irritated
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like positional apnea.  That is whe you sleep in a position that cuts off your own airway by chin tucking. Your chin drops to your Sternum. Think if it as a kinked hose, it cuts off air until you get rid of the kink.  No change of pressure will help you have to stay out of that position. 

It may be sleeping on your back or you bunched up a pillow.  If it continues you need to look at a collar. I have a link in my signature on collars. Take a look at it. It shows charts of people with the same problems. 

If this is a one time thing then it is something to watch. It it happens often you really need to look into it.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Here is the night before; looks pretty good to me. I'm still working on the right tension on the f20 head straps to control the leaks without being too tight
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes this looks much better and no positional apnea that night. I think you can even do better by raising the EPR to 3. 

ERP helps with flow limits (they are obstructive apnea just like the OA and H events). Moving it up should make it more comfortable therapy
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Classic positional apnea. As long as you stay out of the position that kinks your airway the machine can treat your apnea, but if you get into that position then the machine is helpless and can only watch and record.

Figuring out what the position is, and how to reliably stay out of that position is the trick!

(And what do you know about your data when on the PR machine? For me a bad cluster of positional apnea leaves me with a splitting headache and kinda sore throat. Maybe it wasn't the foam?)
Post Reply Post Reply

Reviewing the PR data I don't see clusters like the one above. A bad night looked more like this one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes those have clusters in both OA and H. They are positional apnea. Just what we were talking about. Look at the link on collars at the bottom of the post.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 125 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 693 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 105 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,422 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 213 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 297 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.