Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

Up on Windows 7 w office 2013
So far, I'm not thrilled.

Oh-jeez

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-16-2014 03:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: Up on Windows 7 w office 2013
Yo Mongo,

I have been on Win 7 home premium for a while now and I like it much better than previous versions. I find it more stable but then I am just a junior nerd. I did not go with MS office though. I went with Open Office. It has taken some getting used to and I am unhappy with their database program which is merely a database viewer.

I had a fair amount of problem with XP getting very sluggish and having to go in and do major cleanups quite often.

I hope you get happier with it as you become more accustomed to it.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
05-16-2014 06:31 PM
ThatOtherGuy Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: RESMED S9 Autoset on APAP mode
Mask Make & Model: Phillips Amara + chinstrap
Humidifier: RESMED S9
CPAP Pressure: 5 to 17
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

I don't mind it, I have the same combination at home and it seems okay to me. In my last job I was the onsite IT manager so I worked with many different versions of Office. I like my current job as I am just a user, so IT problems are someone else's headache. I do wish I had a better PC though, XP and office 2010 are not a great combination. At least I get to choose my own browser though, Chrome and Firefox are so much better than IE.

The other thing I like about Office 2013, it works with my OneDrive cloud so it makes for a little convenience.
05-16-2014 07:19 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

I second Open Office. I am a writer and I can write and edit in Open Office while working in the .odt format. When I am done with my masterpiece (stop laughing), I save in the .doc format and send to the editor. We then send it back and forth, her with Word, me with Open Office, both working in the .doc format. We rarely have issues. Sometimes some borking happens but it is almost always because of Word.

My primary love of the software is the .odt files are very small in size compared to .doc format. For example, my previous project, I saved it and it was 251kb. I saved it again in .doc to send to a friend and it was 1339kb.

To further blow their horns, Open Office is not just Word. It is also Excel, Power Point, and whatever the name of their database program. AND it has Draw (which I've not messed with) and Math, which is some sort of equation something. Oh, and all of it free.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-16-2014 08:16 PM
ThatOtherGuy Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: RESMED S9 Autoset on APAP mode
Mask Make & Model: Phillips Amara + chinstrap
Humidifier: RESMED S9
CPAP Pressure: 5 to 17
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Overblown ".doc" file sizes are invariably the tracking of changes in the file I reckon. Often I take the file, copy the entire contents and paste into a blank document, re-save it and the file size reduction is often significant.
05-16-2014 09:28 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro

After working all day to get all my data files in the right place; and customizing Office 2013, I'm starting to like it.
I do miss the classic control panel. I'm not thriledl with the limited color themes.

I'm not getting the little icon in the system tray when a flash drive is plugged in. I have to eject it from "Computer"

I must say this new Dell XPS 8700 is lighter and quieter than my old XPS 630i.

Next project is to try a clean install of Win7 on the XPS 630i.

05-16-2014 09:41 PM
becker44a Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus Lg
CPAP Pressure: Rx 10 - 20cm, Usually 10-14cm

Other Comments:

(05-16-2014 09:41 PM)justMongo Wrote:  Next project is to try a clean install of Win7 on the XPS 630i.

I would go to the manufacturer's site for the XPS 630i and see if any Win7 hardware drivers have been posted. XP drivers will not work for Win7, especially if the Win7 is 64-bit. I would also take an image of the 630i's hard drive before wiping it for the Win7 experiment. Then you have a fallback if needed. Just my .02 . . .

BTW, I am with PaulaO2 in using OpenOffice - I won't allow any form of the M$ Office junk on my machine, and haven't for years. The latest Apache OO is very good, and it's export/import filters for MS document formats are quite accurate.

Good Luck,
A.Becker
05-16-2014 11:00 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro

(05-16-2014 11:00 PM)becker44a Wrote:  
(05-16-2014 09:41 PM)justMongo Wrote:  Next project is to try a clean install of Win7 on the XPS 630i.

I would go to the manufacturer's site for the XPS 630i and see if any Win7 hardware drivers have been posted. XP drivers will not work for Win7, especially if the Win7 is 64-bit. I would also take an image of the 630i's hard drive before wiping it for the Win7 experiment. Then you have a fallback if needed. Just my .02 . . .

BTW, I am with PaulaO2 in using OpenOffice - I won't allow any form of the M$ Office junk on my machine, and haven't for years. The latest Apache OO is very good, and it's export/import filters for MS document formats are quite accurate.

Good Luck,
A.Becker

I have a driver disk that contains Vista 32 bit drivers. I was going to try Win 7 Home 32 bit. The fall back plan is to pull the XP HDD and put my spare 500 GB drive in before trying to install Win 7. If it doesn't go well, then I just reinstall the XP disk.

I've written a number of programs in FORTRAN. My compiler is old -- 16 bit IBM AT vintage under DOS. Those programs have worked under XP.
They do not want to run under Win7 64 bit even when I specify to run in WIN 95 compatibility mode.

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2014 11:55 PM by justMongo.)
05-16-2014 11:54 PM
becker44a Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus Lg
CPAP Pressure: Rx 10 - 20cm, Usually 10-14cm

Other Comments:

(05-16-2014 11:54 PM)justMongo Wrote:  I've written a number of programs in FORTRAN. My compiler is old -- 16 bit IBM AT vintage under DOS. Those programs have worked under XP.
They do not want to run under Win7 64 bit even when I specify to run in WIN 95 compatibility mode.

Hi Mongo,
A little Googling: "32-bit Windows contains emulation for 16-bit programs built-in. 64-bit Windows only has emulation for 32-bit programs." This should explain what you are observing in 64-bit Win7.

If you want to operate in 64-bit Windows 7 generally, and still keep your old compiler and programs, you could us XP Mode (available in 64-bit Windows 7 Professional and above). This runs a Virtual Machine containing a pre-installed pre-activated copy of WinXP, where you can install whatever software needs the older environment. If you decide to use this, be aware that has been discontinued in Win8. I do use XP Mode and it has done very well for the few programs I need that won't behave in 64-bit.

Another alternative would be to use VMware Player (free) or some other virtualization tool that isn't subject to whatever M$ decides to do next. We have used the VMware products extensively and found them to be very stable and predictable. For that matter, the VMware environments actually support VMs with DOS as the OS, if you want.

A.Becker
05-17-2014 01:01 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Or just install dual OS and choose at boot.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

05-18-2014 09:57 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Still want Windows 10 for free? AlanE 1 219 09-23-2016 07:23 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Windows 7 and 8.1 Users Crimson Nape 20 771 08-25-2016 08:10 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Windows 10 - Install Heads-Up and a Vent Crimson Nape 11 439 07-24-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  It's Windows update Tuesday justMongo 8 1,101 02-10-2016 07:04 PM
  Sysinternals Suite update (Windows) AlanE 1 379 01-12-2016 07:38 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  So what ever happened to the Post Office justMongo 17 1,035 12-20-2015 07:28 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Windows 10 AlanE 103 10,045 11-17-2015 12:12 PM