Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Up starting Pressure?
Up starting Pressure?
I feel great! BUt AHI is still too high and I am getting post lunch crashes. I have attached my sleepyhead data, is it time to up starting pressure? I have kept it at 5.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Up starting Pressure?
I suggest a minimum pressure of 9. You are having lots of hypopneas when the pressure is low.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I will try to incrementally up the starting pressure to 9 starting with 6, maybe by week. Thanks!!
Post Reply Post Reply
The problem is the too low minimum pressure of 5.0. Your average pressure is over 11.0 and your 95% pressure is 17.6. I think a minimum pressure of 9.0 is fairly conservative, and your proposal to use 6.0 will not have the desired effect. From this graph, I would have suggested a minimum pressure of 11.0 since you have many hypopnea and snores below that pressure.

Your initial round of hypopnea occurred at low pressure, and by the time your machine caught up you had already had many events. Later in the night you had a cluster of OA that arose out of a pressure of 15.0. This could be a matter of sleep position or REM. On the positive side, you had really good results between 0:00 and 01:00 where your pressure leveled out at 14-15 cm.

You are one of the minority of people with an inverse I:E ratio where inspiration is about half of your exhale time. We don't know if that is a problem, however, the stubborn high rate of hypopnea and clusters of OA seem to go hand in hand with that pattern.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree. As long as you are not experiencing any discomfort or other issues associated with the higher pressures, 9 is a conservative lower end. It would probably need to be higher than that, and anything lower won't help much.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
I will start with 9 and see how it goes. My average AHI isn't represented by this one night, and from looking at the data since Halloween, when I started, average AHI is way down. I didn't realize this but on my second night (back in November) my AHI was over 30!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 672 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 323 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  heart palpitations starting CPAP: temporary? acordeon 4 632 12-14-2023, 08:49 PM
Last Post: acordeon
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,641 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Equipment] unusual high pressure when starting treatment klbklb7 9 720 11-21-2023, 12:41 AM
Last Post: klbklb7
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 4 475 11-20-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Increased Anxiety/Irritability after Starting CPAP? gohoos1998 0 401 11-17-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.