Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Upcoming Sleep Study (ASV related) Opinions Wanted
RE: Upcoming Sleep Study (ASV related) Opinions Wanted
(09-18-2017, 04:29 PM)Spy Car Wrote:
(09-18-2017, 03:58 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Bill, be sure to read up on the ASV titration protocols.  The results you get[video=dailymotion]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmCJjDOjYQQ[/video] will depend on how the machine is setup.  You need to ensure the EPAP min is sufficient to control most OA events, it does not have to control H or FL.  Go back through your APAP use and decide what that needs to be.  The EPAP max should control nearly all OA events.  Pressure support in the titration protocol generally ranges from 3-15.  You can vary that based on your results.  If you are normally comfortable at 3 and it doesn't make CA worse, then that should be fine.  Keep a relatively high PS max so there is support there for hypopnea and flow limitation.  You already know of my strong preference for the Aircurve 10 ASV in ASVauto mode. Don't get tested on something not set to auto mode.

Titration protocols? 

Most of my time on APAP I've been around 7 min/11 max with an EPR of 3. At the least, these setting have been very comfortable for me. I've had some good therapy around this range, and some not so good.

I will ask for AutoASV. Any more thoughts? I feel a little bit out of my league here, and concerned about having one night (or 4 hours) to "do or die."

Bill

For you, Mode ASVauto, EPAP min 5, EPAP max 8, PS min 3, PS max 15. 

Go to page 41 VPAP Adapt (ASV). 

https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...lo_eng.pdf

Page 15 here Philips BiPAP Auto SV Advanced:
https://www.sleepapnea.com/downloads/100...fGuide.pdf

Stuff:
http://www.masm.wildapricot.org/resource...Morgan.pdf

wild card (this is okay,but takes a lot of patience):

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2017, 05:00 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: For you, Mode ASVauto, EPAP min 5, EPAP max 8, PS min 3, PS max 15. 

Go to page 41 VPAP Adapt (ASV). 

https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...lo_eng.pdf

Page 15 here Philips BiPAP Auto SV Advanced:
https://www.sleepapnea.com/downloads/100...fGuide.pdf

Stuff:
http://www.masm.wildapricot.org/resource...Morgan.pdf

wild card (this is okay,but takes a lot of patience):

Thank you so much for both the "short answer" and the educational materials. I've begun reading and watching.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
Bill,

I went through the same process.  A Second in-house sleep study with switching to asv to address centrals.  The study results are documented for insurance purposes to get the asv machine as its higher in costs.  One thing I learned with this sleep apnea stuff is the insurance game.  asv did the trick for me hope it works for you as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a thought... do you have difficulty getting back to sleep, or staying asleep, during the second half of the night?

If so, is it possible to request or insist on starting the night with the ASV? It would be a shame if they didn't have enough data because you couldn't get back to sleep, or stay asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2017, 07:49 AM)kiwii Wrote: Just a thought... do you have difficulty getting back to sleep, or staying asleep, during the second half of the night?

If so, is it possible to request or insist on starting the night with the ASV? It would be a shame if they didn't have enough data because you couldn't get back to sleep, or stay asleep.

Interesting question. I think I generally sleep better in the second half of the night...but often that means my AHIs go up relative to the first half of the night when I don't typically sleep as well.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2017, 09:41 PM)ckingzzzs Wrote: Bill,

I went through the same process.  A Second in-house sleep study with switching to asv to address centrals.  The study results are documented for insurance purposes to get the asv machine as its higher in costs.  One thing I learned with this sleep apnea stuff is the insurance game.  asv did the trick for me hope it works for you as well.

Yes, I get the strong impression that cost-containment is a factor in all this. Kaiser (which I like generally) is an interesting model where insurance and providing care are mixed into one entity. And I do get the feeling that doctors are encouraged to keep costs down.

I hope the ASV is a solution for me. Congratulations on your success and thank you both for sharing and the encouraging words.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
A quick update. I'm going in for my sleep study Monday night.

On Wednesday I emailed my sleep doctor to ask why we were doing a split-study when we had over a year of efficacy data with APAP and considering things have gone south with APAP?

He said if I'd rather do ASV all night that it was "no problem" and he changed the orders. He also said that if I tolerated ASV he'd be happy to write a prescription for a new machine.

So I've either seriously misjudged the amount of "push-back" on ASV that I was sensing or he's decided I'm the sort of patient that's too informed and is easier not to resist. I'd like to believe it's the former, but who knows?

I am so hoping ASV works for me.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck with study. Hope you sleep well.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Spy Car,
I hope your sleep study for ASV goes well.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Bill,

I don't know about you, but sometimes when I have a lot going on and I've got a lot to take in to the medical office, I make notes to take in. I don't know how many times I've left the docs office and didn't ask some things that I thought were important going in. Nervous, forgetful, got caught in a conversation with the nurse/doc taking blood pressure. Anyhow, just a suggestion.

Wishing the best for ya,
Jesse
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 230 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 531 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 144 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 63 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.