Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Upcoming surgery - hoping the machine helps!
Upcoming surgery - hoping the machine helps!
Good evening all.  I am not quite a month in to CPAP and it seems to be going very well. I have also learned so much from this board and for that I am grateful.  I have my left shoulder and left knee scheduled for repairs on Wednesday of next week.  I will have two ice machines and my CPAP machine, I'm confident I will look ridiculous for a couple of weeks. I plan on sleeping as much as I possibly can in the early days of recovery!  I've had both rotator cuffs done in the last year (this new one is a re-do as my dog popped the original repair going after a cat and the knee is a walking accident) and I feel like my untreated OSA really slowed my recovery as I had to sleep on wedge on my back for months.  Hoping for better this time!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Upcoming surgery - hoping the machine helps!
Take the machine with you to use in the recovery room and after.  The sedatives suppress your breathing and the CPAP machine can help.  Let your surgeon know beforehand.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Yoda1989,
I hope your upcoming surgery gose well for you, good luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yoda, I feel your pain! I had two rotator cuffs done exactly 6 months to the day between surgeries, then a knee replacement 8 months after the 2nd shoulder. I was kept on the oxygen for both of the day surgeries and the longer knee surgery until I woke up. Had to use the hospital-provided PAP machine for the knee hospital stay--none provided for recovery, which was short because I had a spinal. Positive thoughts and prayers (take your pick) coming your way for successful repairs and a speedy recovery!

Linda
Post Reply Post Reply
Be sure to uniform them of your unassisted AHI from your sleep study.
Mine is 70 and they brought my machine into the or
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much all of you!
Post Reply Post Reply
You will experience some insane readings for several months after the surgery. The older we get, the longer it takes the anesthesia to leave our system. You may see an increase in central events the most. If you see an increase in obstructive events because you are sleeping on your back, just increase the maximum pressure slightly to compensate while you are healing.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh wow thanks for that info!  I love this board!  

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Just keep an eye on your data. You use SleepyHead?

When home, if you even think you might nod off (due to meds or whatever) have the CPAP on. Getting good sleep and keeping the blood O2 good is going to help you heal. Plus, the last thing you need is to jerk in your sleep because your brain is trying to wake you up!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I do use Sleepyhead. (my husband was very amused by the sheep with his little mask for the icon.) My results have been pretty good I think. My lowest has been .88 and my highest 2.02 since I started last month. Thank you for your advice and help!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,223 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  [CPAP] Just bought a second hand bilevel, hoping for some help with titration? JohnnyLarueBathrobe 8 276 03-01-2024, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 250 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,951 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  New to BiPAP, hoping for titration assistance? (Probable UARS) Easing5319 13 1,015 01-06-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 706 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,361 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.