Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Update 9th day on CPAP
Update 9th day on CPAP
Well today is going into my 10th day on CPAP. My average usage is 9.1 hours per night. I must be making up for lost time because all I want to do is sleep sleep sleep. My AHI was 1.4 last night mask leak 8L/min. My only problem is still
The mask. I find the Quattro Air is most comfortable but leaky. The mask liners, Remzzzs are great for leaks and so soft and comfy but last night I woke up with
my jaw hanging out because the softness of the cloth let my jaw slip down below.
So tonight I may have to use the chin strap with the Quattro air. The Nano nasal mask of course was a disaster. And she gave me a Quattro FX which is better but not as comfortable and easy to take apart as the Quattro Air. I think I will stick with the air and try to fiddle with it until I no longer have to wake up and adjust it so many times. All in all I'm doing okay and happy to be getting the sleep I so desperately need. This forum has been so useful and kept me from being given a machine I might not have been as happy with as I am with the S9 auto.
My OSA is considered mild but I think the Hyponeas 40 per night were draining the life out of me like a vampire. I'm looking forward to continued healing.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Update 9th day on CPAP
Glad that you are getting plenty of sleep, hopefully, uninterrupted sleep.

Have you considered trying masks from Respironics or Fisher and Paykel?

The head gear with Resmed, for me, has been a continual problem as well as FFM I am now finding out.

I am using the wisp right now and yes, it is leaking more than I would like (although it isn't waking me up like it did with the FFM) because I need a chin strap and I am improvising right now with an ace bandage.

Just a suggestion.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2013, 07:15 AM)me50 Wrote: Glad that you are getting plenty of sleep, hopefully, uninterrupted sleep.

Have you considered trying masks from Respironics or Fisher and Paykel?

The head gear with Resmed, for me, has been a continual problem as well as FFM I am now finding out.

I am using the wisp right now and yes, it is leaking more than I would like (although it isn't waking me up like it did with the FFM) because I need a chin strap and I am improvising right now with an ace bandage.

Just a suggestion.

I tried the wisp. It did not feel comfortable. I don't think any nasal mask will work as I feel like I'm suffocating with them on. I much prefer a full face mask.
I think the two Quattro masks seem best though some day I may try a cloth mask.
The Quattro Air is the most comfortable, lightest mask you can find and it's the easiest to get off when u get up in the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Respironics (I think) and Fisher and Paykel have FFM. Maybe try the Simplus that is now available in the US?

Just a suggestion.

FFM do leak more than other types of masks.

Oh, I forgot. There is a liberty out there that is a nasal and oral mask. but they are 2 separate pieces I think
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2013, 07:26 AM)Lukie Wrote: I tried the wisp. It did not feel comfortable. I don't think any nasal mask will work as I feel like I'm suffocating with them on. I much prefer a full face mask.

I used the Wisp during my sleep test and the RT first attached the small/medium cup which made me feel like I was suffocating. He switched to the large cup and it was fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2013, 07:58 AM)JohnNJ Wrote:
(11-29-2013, 07:26 AM)Lukie Wrote: I tried the wisp. It did not feel comfortable. I don't think any nasal mask will work as I feel like I'm suffocating with them on. I much prefer a full face mask.

I used the Wisp during my sleep test and the RT first attached the small/medium cup which made me feel like I was suffocating. He switched to the large cup and it was fine.

In FFM, I needed small cushion and headgear. I am using wisp as well and am using the large size. While it goes down to my top lip, I think it is a better fit for me and I don't think it is the cause of my leaks. I think my leaks are from opening my mouth. I had a stopped up nose the 2nd night I used it and was struggling to breath through my nose so I got up, used Patanase nasal spray and all was good. I am anxious to see how it works with a good quality chin strap. I saw one at the sleep lab that actually has a cup for our chin and isn't bulky. I am currently improvising with a home made chin strap and last night, I covered my mouth with it but my leaks are still higher than recommended but the good thing is, they don't wake me up like the leaks I was getting with FFM. Masks are so individual as we are all different. It is trial and error to find a good mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
The liners are a headache, they feel good but hard to keep in place. Take some elastic thread and sew around the very outer edge with just enough tension to make it pucker all the way around, then put it on your mask. That way it stays put, and you and take it off and on without all the hassle.

Also, I read so much about chin straps. I've mentioned this in several other thread but no one seems interested but it works really well. Just roll up a couple of wash cloths like an enchilada or a Tshirt and place it between your chin and chest. Just make it something soft and comfortable and large enough in diameter to give your chin some support. I did not like chin straps. Too much stuff over my face drove me crazy and made it harder to take on and off. Mine worked so well that I was able to get off the full face mask and now i'm very happy with nasal pillows. They seal much easier than any thing else. I am sleeping 7-8 hours per night and my AHI has dropped to less than one.

I tried many different masks but until you get control over you lower jaw, they leak like crazy. Often I awaked to have the liner and/or the bottom of the mask in my mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2013, 07:34 AM)me50 Wrote: Oh, I forgot. There is a liberty out there that is a nasal and oral mask. but they are 2 separate pieces I think

The Liberty is one piece. It's considered a "hybrid" mask. I think there's one other like it.

Lukie, I'm not a mouth breather at all. I snore with my mouth closed. Well, unless I nod off here at my desk. If I am sitting up, my mouth opens and I wake myself up snoring loud enough that the dogs come running in to makes sure some bear didn't break in through the window. Sometimes, though, I have dreams I am playing "cars" with my brothers and I wake up blowing my lips as the air comes out. Makes me laugh as I roll over and wipe the drool off my face.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2013, 09:00 AM)drgrimes Wrote: The liners are a headache, they feel good but hard to keep in place. Take some elastic thread and sew around the very outer edge with just enough tension to make it pucker all the way around, then put it on your mask. That way it stays put, and you and take it off and on without all the hassle.

Was it your wife that made something for you like that?

I'd love to have pictures of it. We can add it to the wiki.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2013, 01:39 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:
(11-29-2013, 07:34 AM)me50 Wrote: Oh, I forgot. There is a liberty out there that is a nasal and oral mask. but they are 2 separate pieces I think

The Liberty is one piece. It's considered a "hybrid" mask. I think there's one other like it.

Lukie, I'm not a mouth breather at all. I snore with my mouth closed. Well, unless I nod off here at my desk. If I am sitting up, my mouth opens and I wake myself up snoring loud enough that the dogs come running in to makes sure some bear didn't break in through the window. Sometimes, though, I have dreams I am playing "cars" with my brothers and I wake up blowing my lips as the air comes out. Makes me laugh as I roll over and wipe the drool off my face.

Yes, I looked it up after I got back from my appointment. I initially ordered one and then changed my mind. I would be more interested if they were in 2 pieces rather than attached. The sleep lab where I am having my titration study next week says they can't get one to use during sleep studies, at least they can't yet.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 365 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Phillips update. Big Guy 0 271 01-29-2024, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Firmware Update 4600.10.7 hobbycamguy 4 579 01-15-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: hobbycamguy
  [Equipment] Airsense Autoset 11 FW Update GrumGrum 0 452 10-16-2023, 03:33 PM
Last Post: GrumGrum
  AS11 AutoSet auto update Gideon 10 2,991 09-28-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  AirSense 11 OTA update Millstone50 12 3,463 09-01-2023, 07:57 AM
Last Post: Millstone50
  AirSense 11 Stopped Transmitting ?Related to Software Update? YankeeLaker 57 7,076 08-19-2023, 09:54 AM
Last Post: jijididit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.