Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Update: flow limitations, I:E ratio, and switch to VAuto
Update: flow limitations, I:E ratio, and switch to VAuto
I’m writing to provide an update to this thread from January of 2019:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-questions

Per recommendations from Bonjour and Sleeprider, I addressed flow limitations by switching from a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset to a ResMed Aircurce VAuto  (self-funded) in July of 2019.  I gradually raised the pressure support, encountering aerophagia and an increase in centrals along the way.  Once PS reached 4.8, the 95% values for FLs were consistently 0.  Above 4.8, the aerophagia and centrals were a little too much for me to deal with, so I backed down to 4.8, and after about 2-3 months, the centrals settled down.

Given that my AHI has always been good, I suppose the big question is: how do I feel?  The answer is: definitely better.  I have a chronic pain problem that makes the second half of most nights pretty choppy, so I can’t say I feel tremendously rested during the day.  But my mood is better, my sense of energy is better, I rarely want a nap, and my cognition is better.

A few other observations:

*  I no longer think the FL problem was the dust-mite allergy.  That is still with me, but the FLs aren't. 

*  I’m also completely reassured about my I:E ratio.  The VAuto measures these values differently from the Airsense, and it gets them right, i.e., it is not fooled by cardiogenic oscillations (aka cardioballistic effect).  My I:E ratio is around 48-49.

*  My TV has gone up from a median of 440 to a median of 460, and MV has increased from a median of 6 to a median of 6.25.  Respiration rate is about the same.

*  The ResMed algorithms pick up a lot of flow limitation, but not all.

I’m attaching before and after pictures (note a custom Y-axis).

I’m so grateful to Bonjour and Sleeprider for steering me aright, and I hope this update will be helpful to other forum members who struggle with flow limitations.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Update: flow limitations, I:E ratio, and switch to VAuto
Looks a lot like my own experience, and I think it's fair to say, we're as good as we can be, if not picture perfect. This is the result of a careful trial and error process that brought you the best possible results. If this is what makes for better sleep then everything was done right. I say this as I personally had a really bad sleep last night, disrupted from the need to get up early for an eye procedure (laser capsulotomy to clear up a post-cataract surgery issue). Good therapy does not solve all the problems, but is makes things better, and hopefully that's good enough. Congrats!!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 17 751 38 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help with new AirCurve 10 VAuto Settings aubreyjs 6 133 6 hours ago
Last Post: aubreyjs
  Does Aircurve 10 Vauto record events and flow limits during ramp mode? SingleH 3 44 7 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  [Treatment] Relationship between EPR and Flow Limitations earnerd 11 394 Yesterday, 11:51 AM
Last Post: earnerd
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,221 04-17-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 76 04-16-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 301 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.