Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Update from the neanderthal - got my test results
Unfortunately, couldn't get the doctor and provider connected in time to get a new machine today but I did tell the person who answered the phone that I would like to request an automatic machine.

I only had the machine for 5 days and the report is supposed to be for 7 so it has numbers like, "used 5 out of 7 days" etc.

Last night I had to use my old cpap with new mask and woke up feeling like I was suffocating which makes me think I've been breathing through my mouth with the nasal pillows in spite of the chin strap.

I plugged the nasal pillows in instead but I slept terribly. I think that five days of deluxe cpap or apap or whatever machine has made me more aware than ever that my therapy hasn't been working for a while and it must have come on slowly enough for me to not notice. Acckkkk.

Anyway, here is what the thing says. Don't laugh when you see I slept 11 hours the first day I brought it home. I was exhausted.

Hopefully I have erased name, etc.
.pdf   image2015-03-17-111823 copy.pdf (Size: 89.14 KB / Downloads: 146)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Update from the neanderthal - got my test results
By the way, I did notice that my AHI with the new fancy machine was really low so I'm pretty happy but that brings me to a question.

I was in such a fog when I had my initial study some 15 years ago that I didn't think to ask questions, I was stumbling through my days because of severe chronic insomnia (sleeping an hour every 2 or more days and I swear Im not exaggerating). It's a wonder I was able to drive to the hospital for the sleep study. I had to go two nights. All I remember is that on the first night they came in and put a mask on my face. I'm not sure why I had to come back a week later and do it all over again.

But this brings me to my question. All I can remember from it is that I was told that I quit breathing more than 60 times an hour. I don't remember the number, it was between 60 and 1000 because all I remember wondering is this: How long does it take you to stop breathing. What counts as stopped breathing? I don't understand how you can quit breathing more than one time in one minute. How is that possible?
Post Reply Post Reply
The air get jammed at each breath...that counts as obstruction and an apnea. It can happen several times a minute.

I looked at report and it say 85% (could be 95%) upper limit is 11.9, yet the max is 12. That means to me your max should be higher (13?) since you are bumping against the max.

Others here will have better advice! It is great that you are becoming more active in your therapy!
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't understand what 85th percentile meant either. Tried quoting but wasn't allowed (new member) which is understandable as we all hate spam. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pretty sure that's 95%. It means that it was at or below that number 95% of the time.
The AHI in your posted summary looks good to me.

The minimum time required to score an apnea event is 10 seconds. So, the machine will score an apnea event if you fail to breathe for 10 seconds or more.

Stopping 60 times per hour is severe apnea. If it were 1000 per hour -- you'd not be typing.

I think auto PAP will work out well for you.

Kindest regards,

Mongo aus der Missile Silo
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for trying to explain it to me. I was sort of joking when I said 60-1000. I just remember that they said a number that was greater than 60 times per hour and thought that would be impossible. Your explanation of ten seconds makes me feel better about the legitimacy of those numbers. To be honest when they first told me that, it worried me that they didn't know what they were talking about.

I can't wait to get a new machine. For the five days I had the apap, I remembered how I felt when I first got my cpap (like a miracle occurred).

I didn't think I had sleep apnea, I really didn't. I had severe insomnia and despite seeing my doctor about it several times, she never mentioned the possibility of sleep apnea, and I never thought of it. It was a cousin that told me I probably had it. She has narcolepsy and sleep apnea and has it since she was in middle school. I thought that sleep apnea didn't cause people to have difficulty falling asleep but apparently it does. I hope that's general knowledge now.

Anyway, thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you're some kind of impostor. Neanderthals don't get sleep apnea.

Just kidding. I wonder if Neanderthals got sleep apnea? Maybe that's what killed them off. Maybe snoring from Homo sapiens kept Neanderthals awake and killed them off.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking at the (very fuzzy) scan of the sleep report, it appears that the machine is configured to start at 6 cm-h20 and AutoSet to boost the pressure up to a maximum of 12. The median is 10.2 cm-h20. That means the machine is automatically bumping up to a higher pressure of 10+ cm-h2o more than half the time. The initial pressure probably needs to be increased to closer to 10 cm-h20. The 95th percentile is 11.9. The machine seems to want to boost you up to 12 occasionally. With that initial 5 day data point, I'd try 9-14 as my initial setting with a new machine and start tracking the detailed data by popping the SD card into my laptop to evaluate with ResScan or Sleepyhead.

The overall 1.4 AHI number for 5 days of data looks great and is likely to get even better by tuning the pressures.

And your machine is so old, you're probably Australopithecus rather than Neanderthal. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 75 11 hours ago
Last Post: Jay51
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 129 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 178 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 154 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 127 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,176 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.