Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Update
RE: Update
(04-15-2015, 11:14 AM)Scared Wrote: Thank you very much, is it that bad!!!!

The numbers are not great, but the good news is they're mostly gone now that you are being treated. So that was then, and now we have the "new you." Good job Lynn.

(04-15-2015, 11:17 AM)Scared Wrote: Thanks, i will be glad when he comes nxt week to reset the machine and do the readings, my throat is so sore, but it could be my cold. x

The humidifier will help you a lot. Also you want to try to make sure you are not breathing through your mouth. Once your cold is gone, that should be of help to you too.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2015, 09:33 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I recommend you push to get the humidifier as soon as possible. Your machine was dispensed at the full range default settings. You will want to make changes so the machine is more responsive to your needs and better treats your severe apnea.

The clinical menu for your machine is accessed by following these directions http://www.apneaboard.com/pr-system-one-...structions.

The first thing you may want to do is to change the ramp minimum pressure and time. If you feel it takes too much effort to breath when beginning the night on CPAP it is because the pressure is too low. Increase the minimum pressure until you are comfortable. Turn off ramp, or decrease the time in ramp. By default it lasts 45 minutes, and everytime you shut down the machine it restarts. You are not being treated when the machine is in ramp mode.

You can request a clinical manual by sending an email to Respironics PR System One REMstar Auto with A-flex, with Setup Manual in the subject line, and put "Respironics PR System One REMstar Auto with A-flex" in the body of the email.

Good luck and keep us posted of your progress.
Hello, thank you so much for your advice, the man that came with the machine set the machine for me and is coming back on Tuesday to reset it, but I will ask him to turn of ramp, will he know what that means? thank you so much fir the help, Lynn x
Post Reply Post Reply
The ramp is a feature that slowly increases the pressure while you fall asleep. I don't like it and leave it off.
I do like EPR, which reduces the pressure during your exhale. My DME explained it like breathing with your head out the car window: easy to breathe in, hard to breathe out, so EPR temporarily reduces the pressure to make it easier. Mine is set for 3 (reduces by 3 cmH2o)
Post Reply Post Reply
Ramp is usually accessible to the patient in the patient setup menu. Sometimes it is locked, but if you turn the dial to setup and see if ramp is there, you can choose on or off and the time it lasts without accessing the clinical menu. Ramp is a comfort setting, not therapeutic. So you can make changes without harming your therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2015, 08:57 PM)trailrider Wrote: The ramp is a feature that slowly increases the pressure while you fall asleep. I don't like it and leave it off.
I do like EPR, which reduces the pressure during your exhale. My DME explained it like breathing with your head out the car window: easy to breathe in, hard to breathe out, so EPR temporarily reduces the pressure to make it easier. Mine is set for 3 (reduces by 3 cmH2o)

I think I will ask him to turn it off when he comes on Tuesday, I tried the humidifier last night, dont know what I think yet, but still had a dry mouth and throat this morning and it was set on 3 and I turned it up to 4. Thank you very much
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2015, 09:34 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Ramp is usually accessible to the patient in the patient setup menu. Sometimes it is locked, but if you turn the dial to setup and see if ramp is there, you can choose on or off and the time it lasts without accessing the clinical menu. Ramp is a comfort setting, not therapeutic. So you can make changes without harming your therapy.
Hi thank you for the info, I will ask him to do it when he comes, tried the humidifier fir the first time last night, my mouth and throat are still dry, I think.i need a strap to stop my mouth opening, it was set on three and I moved it to 4, the machine seems quite with that on. See what to night brings.

(04-15-2015, 08:57 PM)trailrider Wrote: The ramp is a feature that slowly increases the pressure while you fall asleep. I don't like it and leave it off.

I know I am blonde but was is EPR please, thank you for you advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2015, 09:15 AM)Scared Wrote: I know I am blonde but was is EPR please, thank you for you advice.

From resmed site:

What is EPR?
EPR™ (expiratory pressure relief) is an effective alternative to standard Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) therapy. It offers a more natural breathing experience, enabling reliable and predictable therapy control while delivering a higher level of comfort. EPR is a special inclusion only available on some of our newer flow generators.

How does EPR work?
When you breathe out (exhale), the flow generator device detects the beginning of exhalation and reduces motor speed to drop treatment pressure.

For example, if your pressure is set to 10, and epr is set to 2, when you inhale you get the full 10, and when you exhale it drops back to 8 (10 - 2) to make it easier for you to exhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2015, 09:46 AM)worn_out_in_lebanon Wrote:
(04-17-2015, 09:15 AM)Scared Wrote: I know I am blonde but was is EPR please, thank you for you advice.

From resmed site:

What is EPR?
EPR™ (expiratory pressure relief) is an effective alternative to standard Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) therapy. It offers a more natural breathing experience, enabling reliable and predictable therapy control while delivering a higher level of comfort. EPR is a special inclusion only available on some of our newer flow generators.

How does EPR work?
When you breathe out (exhale), the flow generator device detects the beginning of exhalation and reduces motor speed to drop treatment pressure.

For example, if your pressure is set to 10, and epr is set to 2, when you inhale you get the full 10, and when you exhale it drops back to 8 (10 - 2) to make it easier for you to exhale.

Coulda just said that. Now I get it. Geezzzz, all these big words.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2015, 09:46 AM)worn_out_in_lebanon Wrote:

From resmed site:

What is EPR?

How does EPR work?

Can I have that on my machine, gosh, this is all so difficult knowing what is the best for me, just want to cure my really dry mouth and throat. thank you for letting me know, just found out what cpap is.... thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2015, 11:05 AM)Scared Wrote: Can I have that on my machine, gosh, this is all so difficult knowing what is the best for me, just want to cure my really dry mouth and throat. thank you for letting me know, just found out what cpap is.... thanks

Resmed offers it, called EPR. Some other manufacturers call it aflex, cflex, etc. I'm only familiar with the Resmed.

It is a little overwhelming at first. Before you know it, you'll have it all down pat.

EPR probably won't help dry mouth/throat. Humidifier will help with that though.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 370 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Phillips update. Big Guy 0 272 01-29-2024, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Firmware Update 4600.10.7 hobbycamguy 4 580 01-15-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: hobbycamguy
  [Equipment] Airsense Autoset 11 FW Update GrumGrum 0 452 10-16-2023, 03:33 PM
Last Post: GrumGrum
  AS11 AutoSet auto update Gideon 10 2,995 09-28-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  AirSense 11 OTA update Millstone50 12 3,468 09-01-2023, 07:57 AM
Last Post: Millstone50
  AirSense 11 Stopped Transmitting ?Related to Software Update? YankeeLaker 57 7,083 08-19-2023, 09:54 AM
Last Post: jijididit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.