Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I was bricked! [can Autoset be set to CPAP?]
I was bricked! [can Autoset be set to CPAP?]
In September I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea.  I took a take home test and the medical supplier sold me a ResMed Airsense 10.  From September-December, I was sick with repeated colds and respiratory infections and could not really get the machine to work with all the hacking and coughing. It was so nasty they gave me a chest xray and a CT scan. I forgot about the machine and then got sick again in Feburary.  Perhaps a compromised immune system from the total lack of sleep?

I tried using it  again in March but could only get two hours into it when I would start choking and had to pull the machine off gasping.  Then I discovered EPR!  My first night with it set to EPR of 2 and I slept 7 hours.  I'm still working out the kinks and playing with pressures (I was prescribed 12 but have difficulty over 10 with all the leaking- just managed 11 last night).  But AHI are under 2 per hour most of the time.  Once it was a low as 0.7!

Now that I have it working, I don’t crash at 2 pm every day and it’s amazing how much energy I have.  My children have also noticed how much more pleasant I have been lately.

But I am an assistant scoutmaster and we camp every month.  Following the last 15 days of successful therapy, I can’t even imagine going a night without my machine.  So I bailed on the last campout.  I would like to get a portable but I’m not impressed by the reviews.  Since I was bricked by the supplier, I was thinking of buying an Airsense Autoset for home use and using the brick, with a backup battery, for travel.  Frankly, I can’t imagine having my primary equipment break or fail as a result of travel so I figure that would be the one to take.

So my question is this, can I adjust the Autoset so that it stays at a consistent pressure?  What I am doing now is working so I’m not sure I want or need to mess with automatic pressures.  Maybe I will but I want to ensure I can continue using a static setting.

Thanks in Advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I was bricked!
The autoset has a CPAP mode and two auto modes. It is a CPAP capable of either fixed or automatic pressure adjustment and has full data.

For battery power, there are lighter, smaller Li-Ion units that provide 24 Volt DC power and include Resmed DC adapters. It makes a lot more sense than a heavy car battery and the 24 volt adapter is needed for Resmed anyway. They aren't cheap, with the BixPower being $279, and Medistrom for $329 and Freedom for $359 on Amazon. The Medistrom seems like the best of the bunch and supplies multiple nights of use provided you turn of the humidifier and heated hose.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a fixed CPAP setting on the AirSense Autoset. That's the one you want to buy so you can change over to auto when your ready. welcome to the Board by the way.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies, the Autoset should do the trick! I also saw the backup batteries on Amazon, no way I'd want to mess with a car battery when those are available. It looks like Amazon has a good price on them, can i just buy it? Do I need to send someone a doctor's prescription?
Post Reply Post Reply
Only the CPAP machine and complete masks require a prescription in the U.S. All other accessories and mask parts do not.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SwampYankee, Welcome to the Apneaboard.

I think you have the right idea with the machines.
Now that you are up and running and got some energy, there will be no stopping you.
By the way, 2 is not bad and if you get the Autoset you will be able to read the data to see what else is going on or not as the case may be.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
If you buy from a supplier on Amazon, you do not need a prescription. You just have to know what you are getting. Ask questions if in doubt. I don't know if they follow-through for warranty repairs, for instance. That's not really a problem given that one of the Resmed warranty repair companies are in our suppliers list.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2018, 02:21 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: If you buy from a supplier on Amazon, you do not need a prescription. You just have to know what you are getting. Ask questions if in doubt. I don't know if they follow-through for warranty repairs, for instance.  That's not really a problem given that one of the Resmed warranty repair companies are in our suppliers list.

Not always. I was requested to provide a prescription by an Amazon Canada supplier for the Autoset. I didn't have one and had to cancel the order.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,635 04-18-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 225 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite stuck "erasing all data", bricked User3001 0 292 11-17-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: User3001
  Bricked Dreamstation Go apdf 0 398 10-25-2023, 10:16 AM
Last Post: apdf
  CPAP DreamStation CPAP Pro con Auto-Trial AirSense 10 AutoSet cybor 0 632 09-09-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: cybor
  Can My Luna 3b Be 'Bricked' (deactivated) by Doctor or Service? Frostlight 10 1,316 08-03-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: Psychotech
  [Treatment] Air curve Asv CPAP mode vs AirSense 10 AutoSet CPAP mode (I don't adapt autoasv) Emtvalenti 0 420 05-07-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: Emtvalenti

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.