Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Updates on Central Apneas
RE: Updates on Central Apneas
Wow, this thread may have saved my life and hopefully it will yet save many more. This gives me hope throughout all this darkness. I've moderate OSA at 15-18 AHI and I've been suffering from sleep maintenance insomnia/very fragmented sleep ever since being diagnosed and starting CPAP 3 years ago. I've multiple awakenings every single night, sometimes taking hours to go back to sleep. 3 years on and it's been absolute death for me, putting me on the absolute brink. I've never suffered so much in my life as I did these past few years.

I'm just so painfully and hopelessly exhausted everyday that I had to quit work and can barely function. I don't think I can even use the word "function" to describe it. I also have pretty severe ADHD and DSPD, both enormously amplified by the OSA. Nasally congested on one side after a septoplasty and two turbinate cauterizations so I still have to wear a full face mask for now. My numbers from my CPAP data are very similar to OP's and I was also prescribed 8 cm pressure from my sleep study. I've tried all kinds of different settings, but the awakenings persist. My centrals, while for the most part sub-threshold, have always been high, 2-4+, but it reaches 5+ like six times a month. My central apneas had always made up the largest percentage of my AHIs. I'd love to upload my sleepyhead reports here if that's not too hijacky? Or I'll start a new thread, which I think I should, anyway.

How did you folks convince your doctor to get an ASV study done and/or an Rx? With my extremely shifted sleep pattern, I don't know if I can even manage to get a sleep study done to get a prescription. I'm tempted to just cough up $4K CDN out of pocket like literally right now. I'm suffering so immensely I can't even stand to wait a few more months to a year to go through the proper motions to try to get it covered.

I found a few very interesting and promising papers/abstracts on google scholar about ASV regarding its treatment of insomnia related to sleep apnea. New poster rules so I can't link them, but they're by Barry Krakow et al. and you can easily find them on google: 

"Adaptive Servo-Ventilation Therapy in a Case Series of Patients with Co-morbid Insomnia and Sleep Apnea"

"A Novel Therapy For Chronic Sleep-Onset Insomnia"

"ASV Vs CPAP RCT: Changes in Impairment in Complex Insomnia Disorder"

Also found some newer studies that contradict the study in 2015 associating ASV with worsened outcomes for people with heart failure.

Unfortunately, the last study I quoted was "supported by Resmed." But I wonder if the study could still be well designed. I don't know statistics, anyway. Is there mounting evidence for ASV being an effective solution where xPAP has failed for a good percentage of people with sleep apnea suffering from fragmented sleep? I am ready to take a chance. I don't think I have much to lose at this point.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeplover69, very good post. May I encourage you to copy it and and begin your own thread so we can give you individual help? I find it very confusing to try to coach two people with similar problems in the same thread. Welcome to the Apnea Board forum, and hopefully we can get you moving towards better results. As a new member, you can use the attachment feature to include Sleepyhead charts. Be careful with any commercial links, but links to studies and machine manufacturers are okay. Almost any site or name can be used as long as you don't use the .com suffix or include the URL.

Good luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Sleeplover69, there is much to discuss with regard to your case and as I short response ASV helped my very bad insomnia to virtually disappear.

As Sleeprider mentioned above it would be best for you to have your own thread so your issues and your progress can be tracked in a central location.

Welcome to the forum!

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 6 165 03-15-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Detection Driving Me Nuts!! Reznik 65 11,478 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: ChristianH
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 5 242 03-09-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: meatheadmd
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 15 630 03-08-2024, 02:42 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Treatment] Treatment Emergent Central Apnea or Insomnia -- which is it? mallar 1 270 03-02-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: mallar
  New to the board: Pre Therapy, suspected Central Apnea MVoltaire 12 444 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: MVoltaire
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 253 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.