Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Updating OSCAR From 1.2.0 to 1.3.0 on Mac
Updating OSCAR From 1.2.0 to 1.3.0 on Mac
Hi.  I hope this isn't a silly question for my first post on this forum but here goes.  I have been using OSCAR 1.2.0 for almost a year on my MAC (now running Monterey OS)  and have just downloaded the new version 1.3.0 of OSCAR.  When dropping the new file into my applications folder I get a message asking if I want to replace the older version or keep both. I don't want to loose any historical data so not sure which way to go.  Would appreciate any advice.  Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Updating OSCAR From 1.2.0 to 1.3.0 on Mac
Hello jhenderson51.   Welcome

First, I would say to make a backup of your current data just to be safe.  Should be under you ~/Documents/OSCAR_Data folder.

There is no reason to keep 1.2.0 around so it is safe to "replace" it. You will not loose any historical data.

When you first run 1.3.0 it will tell you it needs to update the database.  Let it.  Once it's done everything will be up to date.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi and thank you very much for your reply.

I will follow your advice and look forward to learning a bit more about OSCAR now that I have somewhere to see what others are doing.

regards
John
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, that's just macOS asking if you want to replace the older application in your /Applications folder. That step won't touch your data.

Subsequently running OSCAR will update your database to 1.3.0. There aren't usually any problems with that, but it never hurts to make a backup beforehand just in case. Time Machine's backups work just fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I renamed OSCAR.app to OSCAR1.2.0.app before I unpacked the install, and made a copy of the data files as well. I can go back and forth by naming directories around, and have when I was checking to see if a bug I found was new in 1.3
Post Reply Post Reply
Should Oscar 1.3.0 be able to import the data from the 1.2.0 database, or must it re-import the data from the SD card in my CPAP machine?

I've been using Oscar 1.2.0 for a year. My data is in the default folder: ~/Documents/OSCAR_Data/

When I launch Oscar 1.3.0 for the first time:
(1) It asks me to consent to upgrade the database.
(2) After I click Yes, it displays an alert that it will begin the import wizard.
(3) Then it displays a progress window titled Please insert your CPAP card.
(4) After the progress bar in that window times out, it opens a Mac Open Files dialog.
(5) I navigated to the old OSCAR_Data folder and clicked the Open button.
(6) It then returned to Step (3), the progress window, in an infinite loop.

The net result was that Oscar displayed that it had no data for any day, and it *deleted* the entire contents of my folder (last few digits changed for privacy):
~/Documents/OSCAR_Data/Profiles/bob/ResMed_23182661234/
Post Reply Post Reply
Curious. It should have just updated the database from 1.2.0. It should not have deleted anything.

What type of Mac are you using, the newer M1 chip or Intel chip? And what version of the OS?
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2021, 04:38 AM)beet Wrote: When I launch Oscar 1.3.0 for the first time:
(1) It asks me to consent to upgrade the database.  
(2) After I click Yes, it displays an alert that it will begin the import wizard.  
(3) Then it displays a progress window titled Please insert your CPAP card.  
(4) After the progress bar in that window times out, it opens a Mac Open Files dialog.  
(5) I navigated to the old OSCAR_Data folder and clicked the Open button.  
(6) It then returned to Step (3), the progress window, in an infinite loop.

The net result was that Oscar displayed that it had no data for any day, and it *deleted* the entire contents of my folder (last few digits changed for privacy):
~/Documents/OSCAR_Data/Profiles/bob/ResMed_23182661234/

Do you have the option set in File/Preferences to automatically start the import wizard? Because after OSCAR upgrades the database, it should not have tried to import anything.

If you did have the automatic import option set, and you told it to import the OSCAR_Data folder rather than a CPAP card, I don't know what OSCAR might have done. I've never tested that scenario.

Did it delete the Backup folder in your Profiles/bob/ResMed_.... folder?
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
@GuyScharf & @Jeff8356: Thanks very much for your replies.

I believe I caused the problem by moving the Backup folder out of the ResMed folder before launching Oscar v1.3.0.  I wrongly assumed the Events folder had all the data necessary to display my history.

Yes, the checkbox to Auto-launch CPAP importer was ticked, and I misinterpreted the import dialog as a database conversion dialog.

In revisiting the Prefs, I also discovered the two Compression checkboxes were off, so I turned them on, deleted the ResMed folder, and reimported the machine's SD card, which reduced the size of the Backup and Events folders by half.

Problem solved.  I apologize for imposing on your time.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  European ResMed CPAP blocked from updating to US phone app fuzz 10 620 02-13-2024, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OSCAR isn't reading data after updating to Mac OS: Ventura 13.0.1 JoyD. 28 2,030 12-10-2022, 10:00 AM
Last Post: JoyD.
  Oscar ate some of my data updating from 1.3.1 to 1.4.0 Mezzrow 0 453 10-24-2022, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Mezzrow
  Missing statistics after updating OSCAR? breathestopbreathe 13 1,167 06-28-2022, 04:42 PM
Last Post: angiessa
  OSCAR Not Updating Pressure Settings hookedonstitch 2 682 05-10-2021, 11:44 AM
Last Post: GuyScharf
  Problem Updating to new OSCAR version on MAC [Resolved Post 2] Plmnb 2 14,550 04-23-2020, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
Question Updating Profile [in OSCAR] Bompa 3 834 12-15-2019, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Bompa

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.