Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Upgrade from REMstar Auto M Series A Flex
Upgrade from REMstar Auto M Series A Flex

I am very much new regarding the use of the CPAP Machine, I have taken the machine over from my brother to see if it would possibly help with my snoring and sleep apnea according to my wife. I have been using it for three weeks now all on my own accord and for the first time in seven years I do not snore anymore. Apart from this the late afternoon tiredness is something of the past amazing what this have done. I am now hooked, but battle a little bit with the current mask which is not sealing 100%. I need to know what would be the best option for an upgrade the System One with the True Blue mask or is there some other better options. The REMSTAR Auto is good still to use for my travelling and touring
with the 12V option. The humidifier works well, but I definitely need a heated pipe as the vapour keep condensating in the pipe due to the cold. I would also like to get the data downloaded to see what my sleeping patterns actually looks like.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Upgrade from REMstar Auto M Series A Flex
Hi JohanR,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might check this thread out. There is a link within it to help in the decision of what machine to get and which ones to avoid.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ew-machine
Good luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Firstly, is your machine the latest "60 Series" machine, or is it an older machine? On the bottom of the CPAP machine (not the humidifier), there will be a part number which will tell. The latest machine should be something like DS560 or perhaps DS550. [ Make sure the humidifier tub is empty or removed when you turn over the machine!! ]

If it is a DS560 (ie. the latest "60 Series"), then you can simply buy a new humidifier with the heated hose option. Unfortunately, older versions are not compatible with the new humidifier, and a heated hose option is only available on the latest REMstar humidifier version.

If it is an older version, you will need to evaluate how important the heated hose is to you, because you will need to buy an entirely new machine + humidifier to get one. For automatic CPAP machines, your two good choices are the REMstar 60 Series Auto or the ResMed S9 AutoSet. Both are good, data-capable machines. Both are capable of direct 12VDC supply from a battery.

The good news is that CPAP masks are standardized across all machines. You can use any manufacturer's mask on any other CPAP device. So your mask choice is totally independent of your machine choice, and you can get a new mask either before, after, or at the same time as getting another machine.

With regards to selecting a mask, if you are using your brother's mask, it would not be surprising that it does not fit properly and therefore leaks. Ideally, I would suggest finding a brick-and-mortar CPAP store and trying different masks that are properly fit for you. Failing that, your best bet is to browse online for a mask (probably nasal) that you like and print out the fitting guide for that mask. That will tell you what size mask you need, which you can then order on-line. Unfortunately, that may end up being a shot in the dark, so if there is any kind of trial period or return insurance that you can get, it would be a good idea.

The specific choice of mask tends to be very individual. A mask that is perfect for one person is easily horrible for the next person. So there is no real recommendations we can give you as to what mask to get.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2013, 06:15 PM)RonWessels Wrote: For automatic CPAP machines, your two good choices are the REMstar 60 Series Auto or the ResMed S9 AutoSet. Both are good, data-capable machines. Both are capable of direct 12VDC supply from a battery.

I find I need either a ResMed Gecko gel nose pad ($16 from Supplier #2) or a RemZzz mask liner to help control leaks.

Also, face oil makes it much harder to avoid leaks and bothersome mask flapping. Unless I use a mask liner, I pretty much need to wash the mask with dish detergent every morning, and wash my face twice with soap to get all oil off just before bed.

By the way, I think the ResMed S9 series devices need an "S9 DC/DC Converter 24V/90W" to operate from a battery.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2013, 02:21 AM)vsheline Wrote:
(07-24-2013, 06:15 PM)RonWessels Wrote: For automatic CPAP machines, your two good choices are the REMstar 60 Series Auto or the ResMed S9 AutoSet. Both are good, data-capable machines. Both are capable of direct 12VDC supply from a battery.

I find I need either a ResMed Gecko gel nose pad ($16 from Supplier #2) or a RemZzz mask liner to help control leaks.

Also, face oil makes it much harder to avoid leaks and bothersome mask flapping. Unless I use a mask liner, I pretty much need to wash the mask with dish detergent every morning, and wash my face twice with soap to get all oil off just before bed.

By the way, I think the ResMed S9 series devices need an "S9 DC/DC Converter 24V/90W" to operate from a battery.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
Hi Vaughn,
Thank you very much for he response. I will definitely only look at one of these machines that you have mentioned. The masks issue might also be a size problem with me and I am looking at the TrueBlue masks but this is very expensive as I have been quoted here in Namibia USD345.00 for the mask. The local suppliers does not carry any stock and everything have to be imported from Europe or the US, which normally take 4 to 6 weeks. We are also nearly at the end of our winter season and I do not think I will need a heated pipe during the rest of the year according to some other information I have obtained on the forum.

Kind Regards

Johan

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 379 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Flow Limits How to Upgrade CPAP to Bilevel Deborah K. 107 8,043 01-24-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Remstar -> DS 1(new foam) mw1655 0 252 11-29-2023, 05:54 AM
Last Post: mw1655
  Does ResMed plan to upgrade to 5G ? 3disorders 1 484 11-16-2023, 06:38 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How hard is it to upgrade with Medicare ? Nightynite 2 552 11-02-2023, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Respironic BiPAP M series pressure settings jamesmck 3 562 09-17-2023, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.