Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Upgrade from brick
Upgrade from brick
Although it's over two years before medicare will provide me with a new machine the time has come when I am ready to bite the bullet and go ahead with purchasing a replacement machine, I can not manage my apnea treatment the way I want to with the brick that was passed off to me by my DME before I knew any better. It's a straight CPAP with very limited data capabilities. I will also find a more satisfactory DME.

From time to time recently some of the members that are more savvy machine wise have listed a couple of machines that fit the bill even to sometimes being referred to as "must choose" machines. I would appreciate an update recommending a couple of current good choices. My AHI pretty well stays below 5 now and, as far as I can tell I'm not having centrals so I think an automatic machine fully data capable is what I should be looking for. I would also appreciate input from anyone who has experience with "gently used" machines like supplier number 2 offers. Once a couple of target machines are identified I will begin comparing prices. In a week or so I have an appointment with my pulmonologist / sleep doctor who will hopefully write the Rx for me.

Thanks to everyone for your input.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Upgrade from brick
Can you clarify if your are self-financing this machine? Can you approximate a budget and anything you would like as a minimum specification? I'm pretty sure we can point you to a deal and you may not need a Rx in advance. Most online sellers will fax your doctor and verify your prescription. The only unique thing I see is you need a hose with the O2 bleed adapter.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed Airsense Autoset and Autoset For Her are the best bets in the Resmed line. If your budget has more restrictions, than the S9 autoset or S9 Autoset for her are the choices (the S9 autoset for her is the same machine, but in pink - the Airsense autoset for her has 3, not 2 algorithms). I'll let someone else post about the Respironics as I'm less familiar with it.

Since you are paying out-of-pocket, your best bet is an online retailer. In fact, you just missed a good sale on Airsense Autoset that ended a couple of days ago, darn it.

Keep in mind that now that you have Medicare, to get a Medicare paid-for machine, you very likely are in a bid area which restricts from whom you can get a machine to only 2-4 choices.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider and Mosquitobait,

I will be purchasing out of pocket since my present "brick" was provided by my Medicare Advantage plan a little less than 3 years ago and they will not provide another one until five years. So I can pick and choose. Looks like Supplier #2 currently lists a Dream Station Auto including heated humidifier for $738. That price would not be a deal breaker but naturally I want to find the best deal I can and will consider a "gently used" machine unless forum members raise red flags about that. Unless I got a machine with a special hose connection I have fittings that will accept O2 feed in. So I think my need is to have couple of machines that will fit my needs and go price shopping. I can continue to get supplies from my current DME and also the O2 concentrator but after I get the right machine I can look into a change in DME, I don't think that would be a problem with my insurance.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
Your local Craigslist in Gainesville shows a new Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset based in Orlando and Jacksonville with a transaction through Paypal at $495. You might want to contact the seller who is offering both regular and for her models. I see these ads pretty frequently up here, and they are usually DME buyouts from business closings, but are typically legitimate deals. The only way to know is ask the seller.

There are Dreamstation BiPAP Auto DSX700T11 machines on Amazon from $700 to $720. These are legitimate deals on an outstanding auto bilevel machine that provides full data. While these can be configured as auto CPAP, they are really nice because you can run them with low pressure support and they are very much like the Resmed Autosets with EPR. Very easy to configure, so you could probably set this up with min EPAP 8.0, max IPAP 14 and min PS 2, max PS 4 and be extremely comfortable. Comparable to the Auto CPAP price you quoted, there is a reason those of us who can, move to bilevel. Same treatment, more comfort.

I'll keep an eye out...stay tuned. Good luck.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider,

The Amazon deal for a Dreamstation BiPap Auto sounds like a good choice, I'll look into it. My appointment is next Monday and I want to have a Rx in hand after that. I'm walking softly with the Dr. and so far he has been receptive to my efforts so hopefully that will continue. He has been interested in the amount of data I can pull from my "brick" and commented once that I was doing more than he knew how to do. So we will see. Meanwhile I will check out Amazon and others. 

I appreciate your help,

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2017, 10:00 AM)stanleydean Wrote: Thanks Sleeprider,

I'm walking softly with the Dr. and so far he has been receptive to my efforts so hopefully that will continue. He has been interested in the amount of data I can pull from my "brick" and commented once that I was doing more than he knew how to do. So we will see. Meanwhile I will check out Amazon and others. 

I appreciate your help,

Stan

Sounds like my pulmonologist except that mine isn't interested in reviewing data. Fortunately, he has passed me off to a nurse practitioner who had a better understanding and some interest in data.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
With the intro of the DreamStation models from Philips Respironics there are some great deals out there for new System One models that have been discontinued but are in stock with suppliers. Might call around to check that out with the online suppliers.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2017, 09:39 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your local Craigslist in Gainesville shows a new Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset based in Orlando and Jacksonville with a transaction through Paypal at $495.  You might want to contact the seller who is offering both regular and for her models.  I see these ads pretty frequently up here, and they are usually DME buyouts from business closings, but are typically legitimate deals.  The only way to know is ask the seller.

There are Dreamstation BiPAP Auto DSX700T11 machines on Amazon from $700 to $720. These are legitimate deals on an outstanding auto bilevel machine that provides full data.  While these can be configured as auto CPAP, they are really nice because you can run them with low pressure support and they are very much like the Resmed Autosets with EPR.  Very easy to configure, so you could probably set this up with min EPAP 8.0, max IPAP 14 and min PS 2, max PS 4 and be extremely comfortable.  Comparable to the Auto CPAP price you quoted, there is a reason those of us who can, move to bilevel.  Same treatment, more comfort.

I'll keep an eye out...stay tuned. Good luck.

This past Monday my sleep doctor did write me a scrip for an APAP machine. I ordered the DSX700T11 that you mentioned from Amazon. It is now on the way and should arrive Friday. And Amazon did not ask for a scrip. But at least now I have one if needed later. This was an out of pocket purchase so insurance was not involved. Thanks Sleeprider for your help with this and thanks to all who make this forum what it is!!

I look forward to posting good results with the new machine. Now to download Sleepyhead and learn how to use it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck with this Pat. I think you will be surprised at the comfort and effectiveness of this machine. I have the older System One version and like it a lot.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow Limits How to Upgrade CPAP to Bilevel Deborah K. 107 8,044 01-24-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Does ResMed plan to upgrade to 5G ? 3disorders 1 485 11-16-2023, 06:38 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How hard is it to upgrade with Medicare ? Nightynite 2 552 11-02-2023, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset firmware upgrade? Tomislav 6 2,732 01-05-2023, 10:32 AM
Last Post: Tomislav
  Upgrade to AS11? txrpls 6 1,129 08-20-2022, 07:57 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Online Sleep Doctors--Easy Rx (renewal/upgrade)? Scam? Thoughts? PurchanceToDream 2 719 04-30-2022, 01:40 AM
Last Post: PurchanceToDream
  [Diagnosis] Insurance for upgrade to Aircurve PSlebow 18 1,516 04-16-2022, 08:57 AM
Last Post: PSlebow

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.