Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Upgrade my cpap - autoset and data
Upgrade my cpap - autoset and data
Hello,

I am about to buy a new cpap. I have to pay for one myself and will go the new route.  I currently have a Resmed S9 operating at a fixed pressure - no auto. I will use my S9 as a travel unit after a new purchase. The S9 works well but I would like to add/try the following:

- autoset function.  I would very much like to try this and see if this might improve things in terms of my sleep. Things are ok (AHI less than 5) but I have read so much about this...got to try it.

- smartphone - instant data feedback.  I use sleepyhead and take the SD card out about once a month but I would like to get immediate data if possible.  I see the Airsense 10 via MyAir and Dreamstation have apps so these are options.  Seems these apps are early implementations and things will get better but I am looking at both.

So I am looking at the Dreamstation and Airsense 10.  Wish I could try one out before the big purchase but not sure how I would do that.

Questions 

- since I have Resmed and never had anything else but the S9. should I stay with Resmed?

- are the minor differences in the smartphone app worth worrying about?

- in terms of a new unit, I see Medguru on Amazon has Airsense 10 and Dreamstation units listed for just $719 and $653, respectively. A place called Home Medical Supplies has a Airsense 10 for $598.  These are with auto, humidifier, and heated tube.  Secondwind has a new 10 for $749. The lowest I have seen. Has anyone ever purchased from these places?  My wife thinks I should go with a mainstream place since this is a medical device. I tend to be cheap and this of course will cost more. 

superboiler
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Upgrade my cpap - autoset and data
Current price on Amazon is $675 for both autoset models.
Res-Med_Airsense_10_Autoset_With_ Heated HumidAir (37207)
Res-Med_Airsense_10_Autoset_For Her_With_ Heated HumidAir (37209)

You might try calling the supplier and see if they can quote you a better price in person than through Amazon. The suppliers MedGuru and Sistemma are top rated and provided reliable sales. SecondwindCPAP (Supplier #2) is an excellent seller with very good warranty service, however they will request a prescription There are many ads for Autoset machines on Craigslist at $489 and contact is by phone. I have not heard of a problem with those sales, but they need to handled through Paypal for some security.

Looks like you have done your homework. I disagree that by going to a mainstream place you will get better service of backup, especially compared to Supplier #2 which is a full-service DME that happens to deal in both new and used equipment.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It would be helpful if you posted a couple of daily screen shots from the S9 SleepyHead data. That would help determine if you have any special needs in a machine. 

Assuming there is nothing special in your requirements I would recommend the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. My wife has the S9 Auto and I have the A10 Auto. Both work well, and the A10 has a few minor improvements such as the Auto Ramp feature which I like. While the humidifier is not removable like on the S9, the overall size of the machine in the standard carrying case is smaller and easier to travel with compared to the S9. It also has some handy Velcro straps on the back that are intended to let you stack the ResMed case on top of a suitcase or carry on that has extendable handles. 

I don't find a need for the wireless data transfer and the SD card removal is just fine for me. So I can't comment on the MyAir option. 

As far as prices go, the A10 with heated hose, a basic mask setup, and carrying case goes for about $850 Canadian on line. That would be about $665 US, so those on line prices you quote are similar. Without a mask, the price should be less of course. In Canada there are kind of two different prices for the machine. One is with followup monitoring via the built in WiFi technology in the A10, while the less expensive ones have no monitoring included. With SleepyHead I find no need for any monitoring and followup. So that is something to look for when you are checking prices. No sense paying for something you may not want.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider brings up a good point about the price of the For Her model being the same as the standard A10. It offers a different setup as an option that may be more appropriate for someone running pressures under 12 cm. It is said to be optimized for women, but I suspect it may work very well in men too. The issue is that it does not respond to OA events after pressure gets up to 12 cm. But the For Her mode can be turned off and you can select the standard AutoSet mode too. No downside other than if you don't like the appearance of the For Her model.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Sleeprider has some good advice for you.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies...you asked for Sleepyhead plots which i have shown for a few days.   Does the data the data point to Resmed or Dreamstation as the better option?

I assume the craigslist is the (888) 965-7655 number.  They have Auto Airsense for 595 and Dreamstation for $495.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Which is better? The examples above are all fixed CPAP with no EPR in use, so either Philips or Resmed machines can reproduce that. When we introduce an auto algorithm, it is the response ahead of events that makes the difference. Your AHI is very good but you're not using the EPR feature of your machine which might help with the low level of hypopnea you are experiencing. Maybe try CPAP pressure at 9.5 with EPR full time at 2 and see how that feels. In my opinion the EPR feature of Resmed is part of what makes it a greater value. If all we need to do is push constant air, then I don't see much difference.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(04-21-2018, 07:56 PM)superboiler Wrote: Thanks for the replies...you asked for Sleepyhead plots which i have shown for a few days.   Does the data the data point to Resmed or Dreamstation as the better option?

You seem to have your OA event flags turned off in SleepyHead. I think they are the most important ones to track and control. 

I am bias toward the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. It responds to flow limitations, and seems to respond quicker to OA events. I would think you should be able to get an AHI of 1-1.5 with it in auto mode, based on your posted charts.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2018, 10:30 PM)Ron AKA Wrote: You seem to have your OA event flags turned off in SleepyHead. I think they are the most important ones to track and control. 
I don't think the OA field will show up if the machine does not detect any.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2018, 07:19 AM)gwc2795 Wrote:
(04-21-2018, 10:30 PM)Ron AKA Wrote: You seem to have your OA event flags turned off in SleepyHead. I think they are the most important ones to track and control. 
I don't think the OA field will show up if the machine does not detect any.

superboiler,
As Ron states, the Obstructives Flag is not turned on.  At least two of your charts show Obstructive events on the Pie chart.  

To have them show up on the Events graph...go to bottom of page on the left side.  
Click on the Flag arrow. You will see a drop down box with events listed.  Click on the arrows to change them from Red/Black to Green/Black.  

As far as machine choice, either will work nicely for you.  The DreamStation may be a bit slower to react and sometimes requires a slightly higher pressure setting. Since you already use ResMed, you may like it better.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
http://www.ApneaBoard.com

Optimizing therapy

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Upgrade to AS11? txrpls 5 331 7 hours ago
Last Post: orca3219
Question First Night CPAP Oscar Data - Please Advise! alwaysdragging 0 59 10 hours ago
Last Post: alwaysdragging
  NOTICE: Wanted: Data from Prisma Smart and Soft CPAP machines GuyScharf 15 952 Yesterday, 06:50 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  ACTION ALERT:  Your CPAP data is being held hostage - ACT NOW! SuperSleeper 65 4,706 05-21-2022, 04:48 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New user.... Any advice on my CPAP data? Dzoker 4 231 05-08-2022, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Dzoker
  Online Sleep Doctors--Easy Rx (renewal/upgrade)? Scam? Thoughts? PurchanceToDream 2 197 04-30-2022, 01:40 AM
Last Post: PurchanceToDream
  New Cpap User Oscar Data UTC09 1 170 04-25-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.