Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hypopneas - Should I care?
RE: Hypopneas - Should I care?
(10-28-2013, 07:28 PM)mdh235 Wrote: I've tried higher pressures, but not 20. When I do, I start to see a lot more centrals. ....
My goal, I think, is to control or eliminate OAs. ...

Try to control them , not eliminate them - in real life, "healthy" people have OAs as well, just below a certain number - it is normal. So getting your AHI down 5 or below is your only real goal here.

Too high a pressure will spark CA events, and that is not desirable, so aim again for a reasonable management of your overall events, and realise that there may be a trade-off in order to do this.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2013, 12:32 PM)DocWils Wrote: If there is something I thought would risk stepping outside patient confidentiality, I would say for them to come in, but we go from here assuming that any correspondence is privileged (and a rider is inserted into every e-mail anyway).

Here in the US, everyone is scared the government, or greedy lawyers will apply HIPAA laws inappropriately if they do something via e-mail or electronically. I'm not sure that the fear isn't justified. Our government is batstuff crazy sometimes. Then there are the lawyers and busybody consumer protection groups.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Then it is not your government that is crazy, it is the lawyers and individuals, and the government is crazy for not passing legislation to prevent such frivolous lawsuits.
Post Reply Post Reply
mdh235, what I'm interested in is how you feel. Your AHI is normal by the numbers so the hypopneas, though long, must not be too frequent. I think it's time for you to look past the numbers to your sense of well being and being rested. Are you getting the improvements you want and expected from your therapy?
Would like to hear from you. How long have you been using CPAP? If nothing else I would think the medical pros on your team would be happy with your compliance. Unless you are reporting real problems with feeling rested they should feel no need to look further. You're a success!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-30-2013, 10:42 AM)skyler Wrote: mdh235, what I'm interested in is how you feel. Your AHI is normal by the numbers so the hypopneas, though long, must not be too frequent. I think it's time for you to look past the numbers to your sense of well being and being rested. Are you getting the improvements you want and expected from your therapy?
Would like to hear from you. How long have you been using CPAP? If nothing else I would think the medical pros on your team would be happy with your compliance. Unless you are reporting real problems with feeling rested they should feel no need to look further. You're a success!

I'm into PAP about three months now. Like most people, my biggest problem has been finding a mask I can live with. The Quattro Air I use now is the best of the bunch, but periodically - last night for example - it just starts to leak. Tonight it will probably be fine again.

As for how I feel, I'm definitely better than before PAP. I'd like to have longer periods of uninterrupted sleep, but the sleep I do get is better than pre-PAP nights.

As for the medical pros on my team, I think they're still playing in the minor leagues. Since I'm not really "that sick", I only see a PA now, not the doctor. I'm not sure that he knows more about this than I do now, particularly since he has no way (he says) of reading my data card. For that, I have to send it to the DME, who then generates some sort of report for him to review.

The reason I ask so many questions here is that I feel much more confident of getting the correct answer here than from my "team".

So, thanks again to all the people who make this site work so well for poor, clueless people like me.
Post Reply Post Reply
HI mdh235,
If you are running into leakage problems try this:
Every night wipe down the silicone seal on your mask, with a Wet One.
After your mask is done then wipe your face with it where the mask seals to your face.
Put the mask on right away. It should stick to your face. Use the S9 feature to check the mask seal before you turn in and
you should be leak free all night regardless of pressure.
If your face starts sweating a lot you may spring a leak or two before rising time but it wont be anything the S9 can't compensate for.
I have been running almost a year and only got up once with the red-frowny-face on the display.
Try it, and good luck!

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
The reason I ask so many questions here is that I feel much more confident of getting the correct answer here than from my "team".

Me too. I tend to get my answers here so I can give them to my medical team.
Then I can tell them what I want and except for Crapria they usually comply.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 234 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 247 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Help Please - Hypopneas remain with BIPAP Newby 0 172 02-25-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Newby
  Hypopneas resolved, CA's persist--help! AZAwake 5 455 01-20-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Central Hypopneas suddenly! Kingsway 4 522 11-19-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Newly diagnosed - mostly centrals & hypopneas - advice please :) sleepymum81 5 895 08-31-2023, 09:32 PM
Last Post: jwest
  [Treatment] Difficulty with TECSA and Hypopneas jjl468 7 1,033 08-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: jjl468

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.