cate1898 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One 560BT Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10's/backup-DreamWear
Humidifier: PR attached
CPAP Pressure: 8.5 - 13. A-Flex 3
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Began CPAP Therapy Sept. 11, 2015. Hx Hypertension, Post Graves Disease, chronic migraines.

Sex: Female

RE: Upgrade to El Capitan?
Oops sorry Homerec130, didn't see the response til now. My bad!

I have a 24" early 2009 iMac, Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz which I upgraded the 4 gb of ram it cam with to 8. Only problem I seem to have from time to time is lack of available USB's. I am one to plug in a lot of USB accessories like 3 external HD's, a wired mouse and keyboard due to preference, and prefer my printer hard wired also. So really the only complaint I have is lack of USB's and if plugging in too many it complains by automatically disconnecting one or more HD's on me-so would like a bit more power capability.

I am still using Office 2008 for mac, native Apple Mail app, and google calendar cause I can log in and look at it/update it anywhere, anytime.

Good to know that you are not having any obvious issues with an older iMac and less ram, so should I upgrade my mac should not have any problems.

APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!! Rolleyes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
11-16-2015 03:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

Sex: Male

Cate,

I have lost track on the number of USBs I have plugged in. Let's see, I have two 10 port hubs and one other (all of them powered). The other (a Belkin) is for flash drives. My keyboard is a wired Matais tactilepro with three USB ports. I am using one of the ports to drive my Microsoft Track ball (which is also about 8 years and works like a champ). My laser printer is on the USB as well as my Roxio video capture device. I have 2 USB external drives (one 1TB for additional storage and one 4 TB for my Time Machine). My old iPod is charged via the one of the hubs and I also use that circuit when I need to plug in the iPad (it charges off the plug par). I also charge the Zagg keyboard off one of the hubs, That plug also doubles as my USB line for my android phone when I want to do file transfer.

Oh, I almost forgot, my DVD drive is via firewire as my built in drive failed and it was cheaper to go that route instead of replacing it. When I put the new HD in I had the option of replacing the drive, but my second monitor is now in the way.

One of these days I am going to take everything apart and rerun all the cabling so it is more organized. If you look behind the computer (I have a corner desk) it looks like a spaghetti farm.

BTW, the Matais keyboard is great. It has a feel that resembles the old IBM Selectric keyboard and has manual switches. I also have an IBM Selectric II which I use from time to time.

Homer
11-19-2015 01:07 PM
Tacoma Droner Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: PR System One autoSV BiPap
Mask Make & Model: Optilife
Humidifier: PR System One
CPAP Pressure: 9-18

Other Comments: Became a hosehead in 2004-still going strong!

Just to add my experience, I have two Mac's, both dating back to 2007-2008. I never upgraded to Yosemite--I was using Mountain Lion on one and Lion on the other.

Anyway, did the upgrade on both. On the older less powerful machine (an iMac) no problems at all. Works like a champ. And the OS is easy to get used to. On the slightly newer and more powerful MacBook Pro, el Capitan worked fine for about two weeks, then crashed. Could not reboot. Couldn't boot in recovery mode or any other mode. Apple Support (telephone) had me try a few things (all of which I'd already tried on my own) and said there's nothing I can do except take it to the Genius Bar. Got an appt for next week.
11-19-2015 10:04 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

(11-19-2015 10:04 PM)Tacoma Droner Wrote:  Just to add my experience, I have two Mac's, both dating back to 2007-2008. I never upgraded to Yosemite--I was using Mountain Lion on one and Lion on the other.

Anyway, did the upgrade on both. On the older less powerful machine (an iMac) no problems at all. Works like a champ. And the OS is easy to get used to. On the slightly newer and more powerful MacBook Pro, el Capitan worked fine for about two weeks, then crashed. Could not reboot. Couldn't boot in recovery mode or any other mode. Apple Support (telephone) had me try a few things (all of which I'd already tried on my own) and said there's nothing I can do except take it to the Genius Bar. Got an appt for next week.

Tacoma,

Out of curiosity, do you get anything when you try to reboot? The chime, a flashing file folder with a ? Or does it do the imitation of a doorstop?

Homer
11-20-2015 01:02 PM
49er Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: VPAP-S
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Sleep Weaver Elan Soft Cloth Nasal Mask
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 13.6/9.6

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
Ok, I finally decided to take the plunge and before I can download the software, it asks me to verify my payment information in the Apple Store and is asking for credit card information. I wasn't comfortable doing this but took the plunge and the software is now downloading.

I hope to heck this upgrade solves various problems I am having in using Reminders and Notes. I also have a new iphone and am only able to sync calendar information. Very frustrating.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2015 08:20 AM by 49er.)
11-29-2015 05:51 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
cate1898 Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments: Began CPAP Therapy Sept. 11, 2015. Hx Hypertension, Post Graves Disease, chronic migraines.

I have never figured out why Notes on my iPhone 6 don't sync back to my iMac or MBA? If I make a note in Notes on my iMac it does sync to my iPhone. I am afraid of making any changes and lose my iPhone notes. I keep lots of stuff there I don't want to forget.

To top it off, now I'm having problems with intermittant touchscreen recognition problems where it doesn't respond or an app not even close to the one I press opens up. This iPhone 6 is a replacement for the original one I bought 1 year ago as the first one would suddenly shut completely off with tons of battery power left. Thank goodness for having bought AppleCare!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12-03-2015 09:59 PM
49er Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: VPAP-S
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Sleep Weaver Elan Soft Cloth Nasal Mask
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 13.6/9.6

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
(12-03-2015 09:59 PM)cate1898 Wrote:  I have never figured out why Notes on my iPhone 6 don't sync back to my iMac or MBA? If I make a note in Notes on my iMac it does sync to my iPhone. I am afraid of making any changes and lose my iPhone notes. I keep lots of stuff there I don't want to forget.

To top it off, now I'm having problems with intermittant touchscreen recognition problems where it doesn't respond or an app not even close to the one I press opens up. This iPhone 6 is a replacement for the original one I bought 1 year ago as the first one would suddenly shut completely off with tons of battery power left. Thank goodness for having bought AppleCare!

Hi Cate,

I feel your pain big time. I finally did get everything syncing by going through ICloud. But if you asked me to explain how I did it, I wouldn't be able to.Smile

Good luck in getting your problems sorted out.

I finally did upgrade to El Capitan. Can't really say I notice a difference but it is hard to say. Internet speed seems slower since I upgraded and unfortunately, my ISP, Verizon, isn't any help.
12-06-2015 10:36 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
cate1898 Offline

Advisory Members

Well I decided to take the plunge to El Capitan on my desktop after reading that it will sync all the Notes app. So here goes!

12-09-2015 01:55 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

I went back, to one of the older OS’s, Mavericks, because I could not correct typing errors very easily on El Capitan, because screen magnification could not be turned off completely.
Either SnowLeopard or Mavericks is much easier to correct errors on the fly instead of moving from side to side on El Capitan and sometimes not getting in the right place with my cursor, what a pain in the butt that was, (Ha-Ha.)
My husband and I changed me into a 2TB hard drive, split into 3 partitions so I have both El Capitan and Mavericks on it and that way, when I need to do somethings on El Capitan, I can just boot into it and do tasks over there. But when I do mail and forum work, I boot back into Mavericks to be able to correct errors on the fly with no trouble.
Ah, the woes of a computer user, (Ha-Ha-Ha.)

trish6hundred
01-17-2016 03:18 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
pupcamper Online

Advisory Members

Machine: PR DreamStation CPAP Pro
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 Pillows; Quatro Air FFM
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 cmH2O; no ramp; no C-Flex
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncorePro

Other Comments: Lung cancer survivor since 11/2004; CPAP since 11/2015

(12-06-2015 10:36 AM)49er Wrote:  
(12-03-2015 09:59 PM)cate1898 Wrote:  I have never figured out why Notes on my iPhone 6 don't sync back to my iMac or MBA? If I make a note in Notes on my iMac it does sync to my iPhone. I am afraid of making any changes and lose my iPhone notes. I keep lots of stuff there I don't want to forget.

Hi Cate,

I feel your pain big time. I finally did get everything syncing by going through ICloud. But if you asked me to explain how I did it, I wouldn't be able to.Smile

Good luck in getting your problems sorted out.

I finally did upgrade to El Capitan. Can't really say I notice a difference but it is hard to say. Internet speed seems slower since I upgraded and unfortunately, my ISP, Verizon, isn't any help.

Hi, 49er. If you are still concerned about your payment info being filed with Apple, you may be able to go to your account at the App Store and remove that information. I used the App Store for years for upgrades, etc without a payment method listed. I use a prepaid credit card with a small amount on it now so it is easier to purchase music, apps, etc.

As far as I know most apps you want to sync between Apple devices need to be set up for iCloud sharing in the settings for each device you want to sync with. Some apps like Evernote and Dropbox use their own cloud systems to sync their apps and they are setup in app's settings.

I upgraded our late 2007 iMac to el Capitan and it does a good job with general web browsing, email and light applications. It doesn't do so well with larger programs, transferring large files via the internet or tasks that require multiple windows or apps to be open at the same time. It is just too slow. It does very well for my wife's scrapbooking apps. We ended up buying a new iMac to run our photo editing apps and Windows virtual machines on.

"....respiration,—a troublesome practice, but one which custom has rendered necessary to our easy existence...." Oliver Twist, Charles Dickens- 1837

I use FlashPAP to load data from a FlashAir III wifi sd card in my machine to my computer and display it with SleepyHead .
robysue's Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
01-18-2016 08:09 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  iOS 10 out tommorrow -- upgrade an iPhone 6? justMongo 25 739 09-18-2016 01:26 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Linux kernel upgrade ideas requested Crimson Nape 8 276 09-14-2016 02:12 PM
Last Post: srlevine1