Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Upgraded to APAP and now having dry mouth problems
RE: Upgraded to APAP and now having dry mouth problems
This helped me with my humidifier and hose temp settings: http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/p...sa_eng.pdf

The second chart in the pdf is what I use to pair up a humidity and hose temp setting that will not cause rainout. Then I tweak either one as needed. Or choose another pairing.

I use humidity=1 and hose temp=70F, because less humidity seems to work best for me.
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm replying to myself here. I think the below is incorrect. Pretty sure it is. I can feel air on the top of my tongue and the roof of my mouth even when I have Daria's famous "tongue block" in place.

(04-17-2016, 01:50 PM)green wings Wrote: I think if you sleep with your mouth closed that your tongue blocks your mouth from your airway.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'd play with the humidity settings before doing anything else. If you do decide it's mouth leaks I've found a soft cervical collar so much better than a chinstrap for keeping my mouth closed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dry mouth means that the air must be flowing through your mouth either as a leak or as mouth breathing regardless of the humidity. If it is a borderline condition (of mouth leakage) then humidity may help.

I like the idea of the soft cervical collar but have not tried it yet. We had a member who stuffed on old sock and fastened it so the stuffed portion was under the chin. He said that worked well for him to avoid mouth breathing/leaking.

My experience with chin straps is that the ones that cup the chin keep my mouth shut but I still get mouth leakage because they do not seem to encourage me to maintain a tongue seal. Some people find that they work well enough. What worked for me is a 3 inch wide strap that goes under my jaw from chin to neck. My theory is that the pressure on the soft tissue under my jaw reminds me to maintain the tongue seal even in my sleep.

The other thing to consider with a chin strap is how to hold it on your head. A plain simple strap works for some but for me they slide off during the night. I need an auxiliary strap going around the back of my head.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 16 2 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 360 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 363 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,003 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.