Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Uploading User data
RE: Uploading User data
Your obstructive apnea index is 8.3, mixed 0.8 and central 0.3 but hypopneas are 11.3. Those hypopneas could be obstructive or central, it doesn't look like they sub-classified them. They also listed a flow limitation index and RERA index on the report but didn't actually score flow limitations or RERAs.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your reply Joey,

This is all good info to take to my consultant next visit. I’ve been doing some swotting on the Wiki page to try and get myself up to speed, as I’m certain there’ll be some resistance from him. The amount knowledge I’ve gained here is overwhelming, but I feel much more positive about my treatment. 

I’ve attached some screens from an earlier sleep report from 2017 (found it whilst digging through my patient records) where FL was measured, but unfortunately not RERAs. I’m not sure if it’s any use as I’ve had a Septoplasty, Uvuloplasty and Turbinate reduction since then. 

Much appreciated,
TS
Being told by a Doctor that you don't have Sleep Apnea is a symptom of having Sleep Apnea
Post Reply Post Reply
Here’s the other 2 and I’ve flipped the graph page to make it easier to read
TS
Being told by a Doctor that you don't have Sleep Apnea is a symptom of having Sleep Apnea
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't know how long you've used for CPAP but it seems like a while, so I really doubt these CAs are going to resolve by themselves. Plain fixed CPAP appears to be doing an OKAY job treating most your OA but you still have residual hypopneas, it isn't doing anything for the CAs (might be making them worse) and you some level of flow limitation.

Post some close-ups of the flow-rate if you want to see how bad the flow limitation is.

See my thread here if you don't totally understand what I mean by sub-classifying hypopneas http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...g-OPTIONAL
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve been using my machine on and off (usually 4-6 week bursts on average, then the same time without) for nearly 3 years. My compliance has been fairly poor, so I wonder if I haven’t given it enough time for the CAs to subside (wishful thinking)? 

Am I correct in thinking that if the primary problem is OSA, then removing the Obstructive element should remove the need for CPAP, and thus remove the secondary (and more difficult to treat) problem of the TECSA? Or do my results show something otherwise? 

I’ve been seeing an ENT privately who has some specialty in Sleep Apnea who mentioned that some sort of procedure that hardens the soft palate might be beneficial.

I’ll have a proper read of that thread and also I’ll post some zoomed-in screens when I get a chance - I’ve been up the wall with work the past few days.

Thanks,
TS
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve just glanced through your thread reConfusedub-classifying Hypopneas and looked at the results of my most recent Sleep Study. I understand it better now. So, because my hypopneas weren’t sub-classified I don’t know whether these Hypos were Obstructive or Central in nature and therefore just removing the Obstruction element might not eliminate Sleep Apnea?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all, apologies for the delayed reply. I've got some screens from the past few nights which are interesting. I switched from a Full Face mask to a Nasal (with chin strap) and the difference in my results is significant. My Obstructive events are completely gone, and my CAs and Hypos have improved also. This has greatly improved my EDS.

1st image is sleeping on my back with a FFM
2nd is sleeping on my side with Nasal (past 2 nights looks similar)
3rd is zoomed screen from same night (is there anything of note in there?)

Does this still look like EPR causing centrals? I tried EPR off with FFM but ended up with Aerophagia but I might give it another go with the Nasal.

Thanks for the help,
TS

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2020, 10:14 AM)JoeyWallaby Wrote: Post some close-ups of the flow-rate if you want to see how bad the flow limitation is.

See my thread here if you don't totally understand what I mean by sub-classifying hypopneas http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...g-OPTIONAL

Hi Joey, is this image useful? As you can probably see by my replies to you I figured out that it's not so simple as removing the Obstruction to cure Sleep Apnea! It's good to know, since I was recommended Mandibular Advancement surgery, but refused after hearing about how awful recovery time can be (gf had Mandibular Reduction surgery as a teenager). 

It's an astonishing oversight not to sub-classify Hypos. I see it as a symptom of a wider diagnostics problem in the Medical Community - all too often they follow procedure without any disgression.

Cheers,
TS

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
One night may just be an outlier.

My guess is the centrals are still present just weren't as bad that night. You should only be trying either EPR off or 1 as that is what is going to help centrals. Pick one and stick with it. Changing two things at once (EPR setting and mask type) makes it impossible to know what is causing the change in results if you make one change at a time and monitor the data for a few days after each change you will get a better idea of whether the change was good or not. Once you get what you think is likely ideal you need to just stick with it and not change things, let your body adapt fully to new settings and see what the longer term results look like.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm seeing clustered obstructive events, and the zoomed image has flow limitation with pretty strong inspiratory snore. Have we talked about a soft cervical collar? See link in my signature links.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] OSCAR Data Review for New User goodfella7763 3 166 Yesterday, 08:42 PM
Last Post: goodfella7763
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 149 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 8 638 03-30-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: MildOSAHighRera
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 173 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
Wink [CPAP] NEW USER - Assistance Needed Interpreting OSCAR Data tommythecat 1 295 02-17-2024, 12:55 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  New CPAP user - OSCAR Data Bourgi 7 706 02-04-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Bourgi
  First Time Oscar User - Needing Help Interpreting Data justinjj 2 346 02-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.