Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Urgent! Why is my CPAP therapy causing weird stomach pains, bloating, gas and IBS?
RE: Urgent! Why is my CPAP therapy causing weird stomach pains, bloating, gas and IBS?
(10-28-2020, 07:59 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Lower pressures often helps with Aerophagia.  This is worth trying until you have a machine that is data capable.  In the meantime, try to lower your pressure range to help with the Aerophagia.  

You said you were using a range of 5-20.  A minimum pressure of 5 is low, and 20max is too high.
Try 7cm min and 12cm max.  Also use the exhale relief pressure on your machine.  

You can also try the Cpap mode at a pressure of 7cm, Exhale Relief at 2.  This will prevent pressure swings.  
If you try this, start with 7, if the Aerophagia is better, then every couple days raise the min pressure in the smallest increment available on your machine.  Do this until you reach a min pressure of 8.  If you start swallowing air again, then lower the pressure back a little.  Our goal is to help with the swallowing of air, not necessarily to treat apnea.

Hi there. Is the exhale relief pressure the z-breathe settings that say apap 1, 2 and 3? 

I'm confused about something. Apparently, apap 3 is lower pressure than apap 1. I thought it was the other way around. What does pressure swing mean? 

I did increase the pressure range last night by setting it at 8 to 15. It felt much better. I didn't wake up with stomach cramps anymore. Why is a higher minimum better? Does it prevent you from gulping air or not being able to exhale properly?

Should I keep raising the minimum pressure up to 9? I'm a little afraid that apap 3 makes the machine work too hard. Should I use apap 2 and just keep raising the minimum pressure?

Why would the max pressure matter since it never goes up that high? When I check the Nitelog charts it says the pressure was 8 or 9 all night. That seems to be my ideal range. And my AHI was also lower this time, mostly in the green bar range, so that's good.

In the future, will OSCAR ever be compatible with Z2? Is it even possible for it to be, even if the developers tried to make it compatible?

Thanks for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Urgent! Why is my CPAP therapy causing weird stomach pains, bloating, gas and IBS?
(10-29-2020, 09:30 PM)WWu777 Wrote: OpalRose
Hi there. Is the exhale relief pressure the z-breathe settings that say apap 1, 2 and 3? 

I'm confused about something. Apparently, apap 3 is lower pressure than apap 1. I thought it was the other way around. What does pressure swing mean? 

I did increase the pressure range last night by setting it at 8 to 15. It felt much better. I didn't wake up with stomach cramps anymore. Why is a higher minimum better? Does it prevent you from gulping air or not being able to exhale properly?

Should I keep raising the minimum pressure up to 9? I'm a little afraid that apap 3 makes the machine work too hard. Should I use apap 2 and just keep raising the minimum pressure?

Why would the max pressure matter since it never goes up that high? When I check the Nitelog charts it says the pressure was 8 or 9 all night. That seems to be my ideal range. And my AHI was also lower this time, mostly in the green bar range, so that's good.

In the future, will OSCAR ever be compatible with Z2? Is it even possible for it to be, even if the developers tried to make it compatible?

Thanks for your help.

I'm not at all familiar with the Z2 travel machine, but I assumed Apap 1, 2, and 3 is the exhale relief pressure similiar to the ResMed Apap.  With ResMed, a setting of 1 would drop the exhale relief by 1cm, a setting of 2 would lower the exhale
pressure by 2 and a setting of 3 would lower it by 3.  All of this makes it easier to breath out against the pressure and helps with Aerophagia.  

Your pressure of 8-15 seems like a good range for you.  I wouldn't rush to raise the minimum pressure yet, but stay with this a few days and make sure your Aerophagia doesn't return.  One night doesn't make a trend.

In answer to your question on maximum pressure... it's just a guess.  The algorithm isn't going to go any higher than it needs to, and you said it was hovering around 9.  You can actually lower it a bit... maybe to 12 or 13, but without seeing any data, it's hard to say.  As long as you are comfortable, your AHI is low and the Aerophagia doesn't return, then stick with your current settings.

I don't know if OSCAR will be compatible with the Z2 anytime soon, but you can post that question in the Software Support Forum, and I'm sure someone from the OSCAR team would give some insight on that.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Btw bad news again. Last night i could not sleep at all. The stomachache happened again and lasted 6 hours. I tried every stomach remedy i had. Nothing worked. I couldn't sleep til morning and could not use CPAP.

Im pretty sure the CPAP causes it because when i don't use CPAP my stomach doesnt ache like that. However it doesnt make sense because if i had aerophagia the bloating would stop after i turned off the CPAP after waking up. However the strange part is that when I wake up i feel great and well rested. No stomachache. The stomachache doesnt happen until 6 to 12 hours later. Yesterday it didnt happen until 14 hours later. I thought it wouldnt happen at all and was relieved. But unfortunately it came 14 hrs later.

This makes no sense. Why would a cause and effect be delayed 14 hours like that? Yet im sure there has to be a connection because it only happens after i use CPAP. Also the stomachache is unusual because it doesnt respond to any treatment, not alka seltzer, not pepto bismol, not baking soda, not fiber capsules, not gas x, not the best Japanese stomach powder and tablets. Nothing. And it also happens on an empty stomach too. So its not caused by food.

This is a very mysterious and inconsistent stomach ache. It seems connected to CPAP. However i dont get why a stomach ache would be caused by something 6 to 12 hours prior. Usually something that causes a stomachache causes it right away in minutes. 14 hr delay in cause and effect is unusual.

Today i went to the stomach doctor in the hospital. He couldn't figure it out either. He thinks it might be related to my gallbladder which has some small stones and sludge in it. So he gave me some gas relief pills. He couldn't figure it out either. Because this stomach ache doesnt make sense and is not consistent or normal. Theres no clear cause. He did an ultrasound too but only found little stones and sludge in my gallbladder. Irritable bowel syndrome would happen in the lower part of the stomach, not the upper center part, he said. He doesn't know the cause either. He thinks it might be related to my gallbladder. However it only comes when i use CPAP. So that doesn't hold water.

Im not sure how i can continue CPAP therapy, even though its giving me great quality sleep and making me feel well rested and alert, if the price of it is that i have to suffer a 5 to 6 hour stomach ache everyday which cant be alleviated by any medicine or treatment and persistent and long. That really sucks. When a stomachache goes for 5 or 6 hours it feels like forever. Time slows down too. Feels endless. Can't think or type either. 

Perhaps the CPAP causes a small imbalance in my stomach which causes a chain reaction of events that doesn't manifest until hours later, or half a day later in my case? Even if that's so, it's still odd and unusual because stomachaches usually happen fast, not after a 12 hour delay.

Should I lower the pressure to 5 to 12 and use apap 3 for stronger exhale? Maybe a lower pressure with a higher exhale relief would help?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hopefully, you're using PAP nightly and not taking nights off. A possible problem if you're not using a CPAP nightly then you're delaying how long it takes to get adjusted to the pressure. If it's true you aren't using CPAP consistently this may make sense why your stomach is upset. You take a few days off PAP therapy and you need to get adjusted all over again. And you're not going to get much out of PAP therapy by only using it part time.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2020, 12:31 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Hopefully, you're using PAP nightly and not taking nights off. A possible problem if you're not using a CPAP nightly then you're delaying how long it takes to get adjusted to the pressure. If it's true you aren't using CPAP consistently this may make sense why your stomach is upset. You take a few days off PAP therapy and you need to get adjusted all over again. And you're not going to get much out of PAP therapy by only using it part time.

How long does it take to adjust to CPAP? I can only take so much of having stomach pains and aches for 5 or 6 hours. When it happens it feels like forever and endless. I can't sleep all night the next night so it ruins my sleep the next night if it happens just before bedtime. And no stomach remedies seem to help either. Only Advil seems to help ease the pain a little. But Pepto Bismol and other stuff like that does nothing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Instead of using antacids, try things that break up gas like Gas-X, Mylanta Gas Relief, and other OTC remedies.

Some good solutions in these articles
https://www.healthline.com/health/immedi...e-remedies
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/w...f-gas-pain
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
To clarify, I was basing the thought you may not be using the CPAP every night as there was a several day gap between posting on 10/29 saying things went well and then last night's not doing well again. I could be wrong and you're using the CPAP every night. Regardless, PAP therapy is only going to work if used each night.

As for how long it takes to get used to CPAP pressures and reduction in aerophagia, I have had a moderate case of air swallowing when I started PAP therapy, and it got less each night. And a week later it was not an issue. Note I have a hiatal hernia which I've had in the past as well as the present, and sometimes severe GERD. I eat lots of Tums 1000mg antacid when that GERD happens. My GERD almost always happens when I lie down to sleep. Both of which seemed to make me susceptible to air swallowing. I mostly sleep on my left side to reduce air swallowing and for other reasons like back pain.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2020, 10:40 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: To clarify, I was basing the thought you may not be using the CPAP every night as there was a several day gap between posting on 10/29 saying things went well and then last night's not doing well again. I could be wrong and you're using the CPAP every night. Regardless, PAP therapy is only going to work if used each night.

As for how long it takes to get used to CPAP pressures and reduction in aerophagia, I have had a moderate case of air swallowing when I started PAP therapy, and it got less each night. And a week later it was not an issue. Note I have a hiatal hernia which I've had in the past as well as the present, and sometimes severe GERD. I eat lots of Tums 1000mg antacid when that GERD happens. My GERD almost always happens when I lie down to sleep. Both of which seemed to make me susceptible to air swallowing. I mostly sleep on my left side to reduce air swallowing and for other reasons like back pain.

Hi Dave,
Well I try to use CPAP every night. But sometimes if my stomach hurts, then I take a break for a while unless the pain subsides. When I do though, the sleep seems still good. It seems the body sleeps well even the day after using CPAP because it adjusts to it so the sleep apnea is less the next day even without wearing it. Have you noticed that? 

Fortunately, I no longer have the stomach pains as much. They were recurring for a while, sometimes the stomach pains came with fever for one or two days too. As if it was a stomach virus. I don't know. I would guess maybe while asleep, when my system is burning out fat cells, or toxins from my liver, that some toxins or bacteria is released into my intestines, which were stored in the fat cells or liver for a long time, which causes fever and stomach pains. It's the same reason why CPAP helps weight loss, because the body's fat burning ability is enhanced during a proper sleep. Right?

Another possibility is that as the weather turns cold, the atmospheric pressure is changed, which causes sensitive stomachs to hurt. That happens to me sometimes too, since my stomach is sensitive to temperature changes. But it doesn't usually last this long.

Fortunately, I can use CPAP now without stomach aches. They no longer occur. Maybe it's part of the "breaking in" period? Who knows. Thanks anyway.

Btw, one more question: Do I really have to do a full montly clean of the CPAP machine? Can't I just take the mask and scrub the parts that touch my nose with soap and water like I do with any other object, including dishes? Why do you have to clean the hoses and soak them in water? The hoses have air constantly going through them and should not be dirty right? Any bacteria in them would flow through into the mask anyway, not stay in the hoses. Am I right?
Post Reply Post Reply
Btw the way, one more interesting thing I noticed. My AHI is very low now, all green. And my average pressure while sleeping is 6, which is very low. It was 7 or 8 before. That means my apnea is low right? If so, then perhaps my body is adjusting to the CPAP therapy and the apnea is decreasing each night as a result. Does that mean my apnea is slowly being cured or improving at least? The numbers seem to say that. If so, then sometimes if I don't use the CPAP, I can still get a good sleep too right? Could it be that as your body adjusts to the CPAP that the apnea gradually reduces somehow too, as your body adjusts to properly breathing at night during sleep? Just wondering, because the numbers on my CPAP nitelog report seem to indicate that on the surface. What do you all think?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm glad the stomach pains have diminished.

The best cleaning timing is what you're comfortable with. I rinse the humidifier tub when i change the water typically every other night. The mask cushion, hose and the humidifier tub get soaked in very warm water and dish soap for several minutes, then a light scrub, and a rinse with clean water weekly if I stay with my schedule. I typically change intake filter every other week or so.

Now on the reduced apnea and not noticing negative affects after a one night off PAP, and that you're going to be cured of apnea, sorry unless you had very low apnea to begin with, apnea treatment is for life. PAP is treatment not a cure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 840 3 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 40 10 hours ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 0 42 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: cps22
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,084 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 176 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 256 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,269 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.