Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Usage hours?
Usage hours?
I am trying to get all my ducks in a row for my CPAP pickup appointment.

From reading in this forum, I'm getting the idea that sometimes DME's issue xpap's that are lightly used. Is that correct? How can you tell? Are they supposed to be issuing never-used equipment? Since under Medicare equipment is technically rented, does that allow the DME to rent you used equipment?

Where do usage hours appear on the machine? I will be getting Resmed Autoset 10 for Her.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Usage hours?
You are a consumer whether you get Medicare or not. I wouldn't accept a machine that had more than 1 hour on it. But they gave me brand new, so not a problem.

For the For Her model, you don't even need clinical settings. Just select SETTINGS, then scroll to the bottom where it says ABOUT. Select that. Run hours is the 2nd line down.
Post Reply Post Reply
Order the setup manual from the forum and you will very quickly learn how to access all of the menus. The machine run hours for the Resmed Airsense 10 (all models) is in the CONFIGURATION menu/ABOUT. This screen has run hours, serial number, software version and other data. It is accessed by plugging in the machine, pressing the control knob and home button at the same time, and entering settings. The About is near the bottom. This information may also appear in the Sleep Report (lower screen). Select the sleep report and scroll to the bottom.

Most places dispense new machines. I am aware of one user that got a System One BiPAP Auto SV Advanced that was very used and he got no help from Medicare or the DME when he complained. The only way to avoid the problem for sure is to check before accepting the machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You guys are great. It would be so easy for a DME to rip off a newbie.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wouldn't it be great if we went to the DME and they opened the box in front of us? Set it up with us there, showed us how to use it, and send us on our way? And Unicorns would be in the waiting room to fart rainbows we walk under on our way out?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
When my wife got her Dreamstation they showed up at the house with a sealed box that had just fallen off the FedEx truck. :-) (Actually arrived that morning). They set it up in front of us and off we went. Have been fighting with them for the last month to swap out the mask which they finally did and now the sleep doc has got to weigh in on any changes. They have made changes via modem and never raised the question why my wife only used the original mask only once in the last 30 days. Turns out she is allergic to something in the harness of her Amara View.

Go figure.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can see I have to do some serious studying up before I meet with the DME. Thanks for the coaching...
Post Reply Post Reply
Unicorns. Always go with unicorns. And watch for aliens.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Halfasleep, you can be up front about it. Just tell the DME that you want to plug the machine in, make sure it turns ON, make sure the run hours are zero. Don't let them rush you through and don't sign anything until you are satisfied. MOST DMEs aren't going to screw you over about the machine - they are just surprised when someone comes in who is knowledgeable about them.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was an absolute newbie when I received my machine. Fortunately, I believe I received one of the best options. I received it at the DME/Sleep Lab a couple of weeks after my sleep study. It was already out and set up when I got there. No box in sight. They demonstrated the machine and set it up according to the prescription and sent me on my way. As an uber geek, I had to figure as much out about the machine as I could. When I checked the total run time, the time I had used it in a couple of days didn't match. There was about 125 hours on the machine when I received it. Oh well, I didn't know any better. Almost three years later it probably doesn't make much difference. It now has several thousand on the odometer and still works as it should.

Next time, I will know what to look for. (Thanks to the Apnea Board!)

fos
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 9 106 6 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Airsense 10 run hours??? eok361 5 138 Yesterday, 08:13 PM
Last Post: eok361
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 395 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 322 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 1,055 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 540 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 710 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.