Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Usage time
Usage time
I've had a Resmed Autosense 10 for about a week and a half. First time cpap user. My question is if I wear the mask during the day for a couple of hours and I don't fall asleep during that time, does it count as 2 hours usage?  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Usage time
Keep in mind that usage days begin and end at noon. Wearing the CPAP without sleeping counts toward compliance. It might be better to just troubleshoot the problems and get you comfortable sleeping with it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it will count as usage. The machine has no idea whether you are asleep or awake.

I’m all for using the machine during the day “if” the goal is to get used to the feel of the pressure and mask. In turn, that should help you acclimate at night.

Otherwise, if your having problems at night, post a couple screenshots here, mabye we can help.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will ditto the above answers. Usage of any sort counts. If you're getting used to therapy, as OpalRose states, is an attempt to get used to the machine and mask, that's quite alright. I had to go through that during my BiPAP and the current ASV machines. It did help me get used to it. I still had to post data here for assistance in getting the machines dialed in properly.

Coffee

PS IMO there are 2 goals that need to be met, especially at the beginning:

1. Use the machine to get used to the therapy, having a mask on, adjusting mask, etc. Just using it so you won't quit is a real battle for some, myself included.

2. Use the machine to get to the point that therapy is becoming beneficial. That means using it nightly and that the machine is set to give you the best possible therapy it can provide.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Be careful you don't get to liking it too much -- might trigger the Rip Van [sic] Winkle effect! <grin>

Might be educational to compare awake usage vs. sleeping usage.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2018, 08:36 AM)larryslade66 Wrote: I've had a Resmed Autosense 10 for about a week and a half. First time cpap user. My question is if I wear the mask during the day for a couple of hours and I don't fall asleep during that time, does it count as 2 hours usage?  Thanks

It definitely counts the time. Very useful to practice with the mask during the day while you are awake. I also suggest adjusting the straps on the headgear while practicing. Make them loose. Make them tight. Make them somewhere in between. This will get you familiar with the adjustments and if you have to make changes in the night to fix a leak or to get comfortable, you can do the adjustments easier because you know which straps change how the mask works and feels. 

Jesse
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info. One reason I want to use it during the day is I have to accumulate so many hours in the first month or they take the machine away. The day after I got my machine I went into the hospital for 3 days, which I'm sure my doctor will take into account. Maybe not. I have to average 4 hours a night. Hopefully I'll make it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2018, 10:27 AM)larryslade66 Wrote: Thanks for the info. One reason I want to use it during the day is I have to accumulate so many hours in the first month or they take the machine away. The day after I got my machine I went into the hospital for 3 days, which I'm sure my doctor will take into account. Maybe not. I have to average 4 hours a night. Hopefully I'll make it.

That's a way to get compliance time and that is important. Your doing well for keeping the idea that you need to keep the machine and continue treatment. Compliance is one aspect and when you get well adjusted the compliance will occur through nightly use. Keep it up!
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi larryslade66,

I agree with everything said above and have not a lot to add, but evening sitting in the evening will count towards compliance.
It also get you used to having a mask on and air pressure coming at you.  However, keep in mind that the shape of your face is slightly different when sitting up watching TV or reading than it is lying down.
Put the mask on as soon as you go to bed and if you find it off, put it straight back on again.
You might need to increase the lower pressure if you feel you are being air starved.
Good luck on your treatment.
If you get some data up I;m sure you will get some advice on tweaking your machine to help get better treatment.   Smile
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 215 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,453 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 624 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 245 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 175 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 812 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 906 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.