Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Use a UPS for backup with CPAP suggestions
Use a UPS for backup with CPAP suggestions
well after getting rudely awakened at 1:40AM when the power went out which in turn stopped my CPAP I’ve been thinking. Has any one used one of them UPS for a computer to plu their CPAP into so that it would keep running for some time during a power outage. I am actually very familiar with electronics and electrical so I know it would work but I want to hear what others have to say. Such as how long the UPS keeps your CPAP running. What size UPS you using and so on. 

I know it won’t run forever but anything to not be disturbed by short power glitches would be nice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Use a UPS for backup with CPAP suggestions
I have an APC BX850M. Got it from Amazon. Power went out the other night but my APAP kept running.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a couple but don't use them for my CPAP because they don't provide a way to turn off the alarm. I've considered cobbling a homemade power pack with supercaps and Li-ion batteries but our power (north of Atlanta, Georgia) doesn't get knocked out often enough to warrant the effort.

I'm interested to hear what, if anything, you do about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are some good backup systems that can also be used for camping, but they tend to be expensive. Keep in mind the needs for Dreamstations and Resmed units are different, and the Philips units can run on a plain old 12-volt battery backup and does not need a proprietary connector. The Medistrom Pilot 12 batter is small, lightweight and automatically switches for backup, or an power your unit without the humidifier for a couple nights. Not cheap, but seems well-designed. UPS for computers tend to be heavier and don't have a long life unless you get a larger unit.

If you get something, follow up with your choice and a review.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2018, 09:26 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: There are some good backup systems that can also be used for camping, but they tend to be expensive.  Keep in mind the needs for Dreamstations and Resmed units are different, and the Philips units can run on a plain old 12-volt battery backup and does not need a proprietary connector.   The Medistrom Pilot 12 batter is small, lightweight and automatically switches for backup, or an power your unit without the humidifier for a couple nights.  Not cheap, but seems well-designed.  UPS for computers tend to be heavier and don't have a long life unless you get a larger unit.

If you get something, follow up with your choice and a review.

That my thing right now looking at the power requirements. According to the power adapter with my dreamstation. At 12 Volts it needs just over 6 Amps and if using 110 2 Amps 240 Watts. If I go with just a battery it would have to be big just to get any run time as well if I went with a UPS for anything over 10 to 15 minutes im looking at over $700. 

My power don’t go out often but darn that was a rude awakening.
Post Reply Post Reply
The CPAP uses less than 0.4 amps and the humidifier about 2.5. The AC adapter is designed conservatively. As I said without the humidifier and heated hose the Li-ion battery will get at least two nights. The battery will provide backup for a few hours even with the humidifier
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Philips sells their own battery designed for their CPAP machines. Last time I looked it was *very* expensive. But it's small and it's something to keep in mind as you're sorting thru the alternatives.

https://www.usa.philips.com/healthcare/p...supply-ups
Post Reply Post Reply
There are a couple dozen discussion on the forum if you search them up.

In general, consumer UPS systems for computers are not really well adapted to CPAP backup use for more than an hour or two (even the big uns). Pull apart one fo the 1500 series units and you'll find a couple of relatively small SLA batteries and an inverter.

My solution is a 39 AH 12 V SLA battery and a powergate from West Mountain Radio (SuperPWRgate 40). Power that with a 12 A Astron switching power suppply with output cranked up to 14.1ish V to better enable battery charging AGM/SLA chemistry battery. Will run my machine with heated humidificaiton for 3+ days; up to around a week if I turn off the heat. (I spent several nights running my machine(s) through a multimeter to document actual average current draw with different machines and settings as I use them). (35-39 AH are really handy as they are small enough to be easily portable (24ish pounds) but still have enough capacity to provide meaningful backup.)

Info for the Respironics machines is harder to find in the wild than for the ResMed (but I found the ResMed Battery Guide data pretty conservative compared to real measurements).

OMMOHY
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2018, 12:38 PM)Robert121571 Wrote: That my thing right now looking at the power requirements. According to the power adapter with my dreamstation. At 12 Volts it needs just over 6 Amps and if using 110 2 Amps 240 Watts. If I go with just a battery it would have to be big just to get any run time as well if I went with a UPS for anything over 10 to 15 minutes im looking at over $700. 

My power don’t go out often but darn that was a rude awakening.

I doubt the current draw is 6A.  That is pretty much a worst case scenario estimate at max pressure & heat settings I would bet.  My Respironics at a median pressure of 10 ish runs about 400 milliamps; with heat humidification set at "2", it will draw about a pretty steady 1.0 amp.

OMMOHY
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
I did a measurement on my Airsense 10 Autoset with a precise clamp meter:
0.08A average, peaks from the humidifer: 0.2A @230V

Thats 18 Watt average and 46 Watt peak --> a small ups should do the job for the whole night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,928 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 252 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 200 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 305 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Dreamstation 2 feels like it isn't treating my apnea (any suggestions)? Sunday3 4 287 02-05-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 250 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.